Protect Football On Free TV

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The link provided for Protect Football On Free TV seems to be broken. Try this one.
----------------------------------------------------
NFL launches clumsy effort to defend blackout rule
Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2014

testpattern.jpg

At a time when the NFL faces the potential elimination of its blackout rule, the league has embarked on an effort to prevent limitations on the ability to refuse to telecast games in the local market if those contests aren’t “sold out.” (More on what “sold out” actually means later.)

Via a website that carries no NFL logos or trademarks or other copyrighted materials, but with a privacy policy that links directly to NFL.com, the league calls its effort “Protect Football on Free TV.” The league has enlisted Hall of Famer Lynn Swann (and possibly others) to spread the word; Swann recently did so in an appearance on WXYZ-TV in Detroit.

If it’s not broken,” Swann said, “what are they trying to fix? We have full stadiums, people come to the games. We’re the only sport where fans who don’t get to the game can watch it on free over-the-air television.”

Unless, of course, the game isn’t sold out. If that happens, it’s not available on any television, free or otherwise.

“The blackout rule helps support that, and it supports our broadcast partners,” Swann said, without explaining how being required to run three hours of P90X ads instead of the home game in the local market actually helps the broadcast partners.

“A full stadium means enthusiastic players, enthusiastic fans,” Swann said. “It means the announcers are enthusiastic. Everybody benefits all the way around.”

But the current blackout rule already allows every game to be played in something other than a full stadium. Only non-premium seats are included in the calculation of a sellout, and each team can now reduce its obligation to 85 percent of all non-premium seats.

So the blackout rule encourages full stadiums even though full stadiums no longer are required.

Swann calls the effort a “coalition” that allows fans to contact the FCC and to support the status quo, which will allow the league to prevent a free local telecast of games that aren’t sold out. The website contends that the attack on the blackout rule comes from a bogeyman as real and tangible as the love child of the Abominable Snowman and Bigfoot.

Pay-TV lobbyists have manufactured a controversy in an effort to change the current rule and charge fans for games that they currently watch for free.

We cannot let these special interests dictate what is best for NFL fans and their communities

- See more at: http://www.protectfootballonfreetv.com/#who-opposes-free-football-on-tv

“Pay-TV lobbyists have manufactured a controversy in an effort to change the current rule and charge fans for games they currently watch for free,” the website contends. “We cannot let these special interests dictate what is best for NFL fans and their communities.”

So instead the special interest that is the NFL will dictate what is best for NFL fans and their communities by concocting a phony threat to the ability to watch games on free TV.

“Pay-TV lobbyists”? Which “Pay-TV” companies are hiring lobbyists to fight the blackout rule, and why should anyone believe that the NFL would do business with those “Pay-TV” companies if they win?

Pay-TV lobbyists have manufactured a controversy in an effort to change the current rule and charge fans for games that they currently watch for free.

We cannot let these special interests dictate what is best for NFL fans and their communities.

It’s the best the NFL can do, because there’s no actual connection between preventing the local broadcast of games absent a full stadium and protecting the ability to televise of games on free TV. Without tangible evidence showing why and how a rule requiring home games to be televised on free TV in the local market regardless of attendance harms the ability to televise games on free TV generally, the effort will look and feel like a bass-ackward strategy for allowing the NFL to continue to do what it wants.

The NFL wants to maximize ticket sales, and the NFL wants to be able to put the squeeze on markets in which the tickets haven’t been sold. Ultimately, the NFL doesn’t want the government or anyone else telling the NFL what it can and can’t do. .

The reality, as noted earlier today, is that any significant reduction of the ability to watch games on free TV would invite far more serious governmental action via the scuttling of the broadcast antitrust exemption. Overturning the broadcast antitrust exemption would allow networks to negotiate with teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, and Steelers directly Notre Dame-style packages. That would create a dramatic income discrepancy among teams and little or no market for plenty of the 256 regular-season games to be televised anywhere, for free or otherwise.

That’s the last thing the NFL wants. Thus, the last thing that ever will happen is the disappearance of NFL games on free TV, regardless of whether the blackout rule lives or dies.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Pay-TV lobbyists? WTH is Sunday Ticket? Yeah. It's okay if the NFL gets its money, just nobody else.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is Swann talking about when he says, "We’re the only sport where fans who don’t get to the game can watch it on free over-the-air television." ?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If the NFL moved to an all-pay model, it would be the final proof that Goodell's ego has gotten so big that he'll let it destroy the game.

Frankly, not only should NFL stay on free TV, but with the current economic times being what they are, the blackout rule should be eliminated.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Do blackouts actually help teams with low attendance? I would think getting the team and logo in front of people and raking in the advertising bucks would be the smarter play.

Who becomes a fan of a team they never see?

However, the pricing of concessions and tickets and the tiny seats are what keep me from going. Greed has killed the live game.

I would love to get season tickets but I'm not paying $20 for a hotdog, chips, and beer just to be uncomfortable.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Blackouts are probably the dumbest part of the NFL. My dad loves the Bills, but he has no interest in sitting outside during winter when it's 0 degrees out. He shouldn't have to suffer just to watch his team suck every year.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see a day when all NFL games are "pay".

Only way to stop them is to not pay... I'm a hypocrite because I pay for The Ticket and have since it started.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Do blackouts actually help teams with low attendance? I would think getting the team and logo in front of people and raking in the advertising bucks would be the smarter play.

Who becomes a fan of a team they never see?

However, the pricing of concessions and tickets and the tiny seats are what keep me from going. Greed has killed the live game.

I would love to get season tickets but I'm not paying $20 for a hotdog, chips, and beer just to be uncomfortable.

What kind of fan are you? I bet yer from LA!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If the NFL moved to an all-pay model, it would be the final proof that Goodell's ego has gotten so big that he'll let it destroy the game.

Frankly, not only should NFL stay on free TV, but with the current economic times being what they are, the blackout rule should be eliminated.

It won't be long before the league is PPV. There is more money in it long term and frankly it makes sense that if there isn't a sellout that the NFL can get money from fans and TV stations. It wouldn't blow me away iof they take it all in house someday considering the tech is already there and they have the resources to buy the equipment.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*firstrow.eu.........I haven't lived in the Rams local market since 1988, and just dumped DirecTv

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Now if the NFL did what WWE has done... $10 a month for their network, which includes everything (including formerly PPV events, but not the weekly free TV shows) and an on-demand service on top of that... I'd pay for that for the NFL in a second.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The blackout rule is something that should have been left in the 1960's when all you had to watch a game on was a 21" B&W TV. I understood it a bit when a big chunk of a team's income was from butts in the seats, but now it is much smaller part of the income stream. Time to dump the antiquated law.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Blacking out football is immoral, period. You want to fill the stadium? Win, that's it. Winning cures all.

fearsomefour

Legend

Just a business.
If the NFL thought it would make more money going to just the pay for model it would. Right now, they have the best of both worlds, network tv paying up to carry games AND getting the NFL Ticket money.
The American public is hooked, I woudnt expect any free bees any time soon.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just a business.
If the NFL thought it would make more money going to just the pay for model it would. Right now, they have the best of both worlds, network tv paying up to carry games AND getting the NFL Ticket money.
The American public is hooked, I woudnt expect any free bees any time soon.
I know. It's just they may THINK they'll get more money with a pay model then get caught unexpected by the backlash.

I do think Goodell lives in his own world and is very very capable of killing the golden goose that is football's massive popularity right now.

fearsomefour

Legend
I know. It's just they may THINK they'll get more money with a pay model then get caught unexpected by the backlash.

I do think Goodell lives in his own world and is very very capable of killing the golden goose that is football's massive popularity right now.
I am no fan of Goodell but he would really have to do dumb stuff to make regular season games not feel important given there are only 16 of them. I mean, it's not like he do something like spread the games out over 3 or 4 days a week, trying to get a team or two out of the country, cheapen the playoffs by expanding who qualifies or input rules changes that take the teeth out of defenses with rules that are open to the refs interpretation with no real oversight or ability to correct......
Oh right.