Projected FA strategy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thoughts are (if you haven't read my one million mocks)...
1. Hit the OL hard - We need to go get at least one starting OG and consider adding a starting Center or LT. We need to be picky at LT, though. Don't pay a mediocre starter. I like Larry Warford, Ronald Leary, Kevin Zeitler, T.J. Lang, and Chance Warmack (on a "prove it" deal) at OG. At center, I like J.C. Tretter. At LT, I like Andrew Whitworth and J.C. Tretter. That's also a possibility that some more veteran LTs hit the market this offseason (Russell Okung, Ryan Clady, Kelvin Beachum, Branden Albert, Jason Peters, etc.). We need to prioritize protecting Goff.

2. Go after two veteran WRs - Even if we don't want to pay big names, we need to go after one bigger name and one lower tier guy. The bigger name guys that I like are Alshon Jeffery, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Torrey Smith (if cut), and Brandon Marshall (if cut). The lower tier guys that I like are Kenny Stills, Kamar Aiken, Markus Wheaton, and Kendall Wright. I'd try to pair two unlike guys. For example, I'd want to pair Pierre Garcon and Kenny Stills or DeSean Jackson and Kamar Aiken (basically, possession guy + deep threat).

3. Add one or two veteran CBs - I don't want us to have to start two rookie CBs. If we let Tru walk, I'd add a couple veteran guys. Aside from the big money FAs (Bouye, Gilmore, etc.), I like Brandon Carr, Johnathan Joseph, and Captain Munnerlyn.

4. Fill out the role player and depth spots on defense - We were hurt in 2016 because we lacked veteran depth on defense. We need to improve this. There are a number of guys that I like. Along the DL, I think Terrell McClain, Sean Lissemore (as depth), Earl Mitchell (if cut), and Sylvester Williams would make good NTs in the scheme. I think Vance Walker, Tyson Alualu, Jared Odrick (if cut), and Nick Fairley would all slot in well as rotational DEs (in addition to Easley).

At ILB, I think Todd Davis (RFA), Dekoda Watson (can play OLB as well), Manti Te'o, Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, and Kevin Miner all make some sense depending on what Wade wants. At OLB, DeMarcus Ware, Alex Okafor, Dwight Freeney, Lerentee McCray, Courtney Upshaw, and Jarvis Jones all make sense.

Some DBs that I like are Matt Elam, D.J. Swearinger, J.J. Wilcox, Kemal Ishmael, and Shamarko Thomas as guys who could compete for a job or provide depth. Some CBs who could provide depth are Micah Hyde, Kayvon Webster, Jerraud Powers, and Mike Jenkins.

1. I think you need to bring in a new center !! c The Rams have a lot of young pieces on the offensive line. I think maybe bring in someone fresh to take Roger Saffold place. He just needs to go.

-- Makes me super upset watching JJ, Chris Long, & Jared Cook in the playoffs.
To think The Rams front office let JJ & signed Sendaughba or whoever he was.
They keep Saffold & he is healthy. The offensive line played better without him the year before.
How do you go from 7-9 & should have been 9-6 easy to 4-12 ?? Then let players walk & keep the $$$ money in pocket ???

2. Bring in DJ at wr -- & figure out who goes were with spare players. Solution is on coaching staff.In house eval.

3.Really like your CB idea .

4.Think you need a DT , but Cam played well.More NT . --Wade needs to weed through the defensive players though.

5. Rams need a LB , but who was Rams rookie of the year ?? That special teams LB must have some upside.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. I think you need to bring in a new center !! c The Rams have a lot of young pieces on the offensive line. I think maybe bring in someone fresh to take Roger Saffold place. He just needs to go.

-- Makes me super upset watching JJ, Chris Long, & Jared Cook in the playoffs.
To think The Rams front office let JJ & signed Sendaughba or whoever he was.
They keep Saffold & he is healthy. The offensive line played better without him the year before.
How do you go from 7-9 & should have been 9-6 easy to 4-12 ?? Then let players walk & keep the $$$ money in pocket ???

2. Bring in DJ at wr -- & figure out who goes were with spare players. Solution is on coaching staff.In house eval.

3.Really like your CB idea .

4.Think you need a DT , but Cam played well.More NT . --Wade needs to weed through the defensive players though.

5. Rams need a LB , but who was Rams rookie of the year ?? That special teams LB must have some upside.

I wasn't a fan of Cam Thomas. And he's not a fit for Wade's scheme. Wade wants guys who can disrupt. Thomas is just a big body.

I agree on the new Center. We need to make that a priority. J.C. Tretter looks to be the only quality Center available. He has a long injury history, but I'd take a shot on him. The draft is also an option.

I agree about replacing Saffold with someone better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't a fan of Cam Thomas. And he's not a fit for Wade's scheme. Wade wants guys who can disrupt. Thomas is just a big body.

I agree on the new Center. We need to make that a priority. J.C. Tretter looks to be the only quality Center available. He has a long injury history, but I'd take a shot on him. The draft is also an option.

I agree about replacing Saffold with someone better.

Re: Cam Thomas I agree. He is not physical enough, Wade is going to want someone on the nose to eat up two gaps, I am pretty sure of that. If we had more physical backers he might be ok with a guy running a shade with one gap, but we have speed moreso than physical strength type talent in those guys so it will be easier to bring in a nose than to go look for the LBs. Then you let Ogletree and Barron run sideline to sideline, drop into coverage, etc and do their thing. And Brock mans the 5T and/or as a depth/backup option on the nose.

Re: Center I disagree with you on Tretter. I don't want another FA who has had issues with injuries. You can get Centers into midrounds, reserve a round 3 or 4 pick for the position is the way I'd go.

I don't disagree with you guys on Roger Saffold, but I also don't think they're going to be able to solve LT this offseason. No real answer will be out there in FA, and the LT types rarely make it to round 2. I mean it's possible and it would be the top draft priority if value is there at our round 2 pick, but my strategy would be to build from the inside, start Saffold there from day one at LT, and try like crazy to solve the depth behind him whether it's GRob (albeit unlikely) or someone else on the roster. Line can still be a strength with Roger at LT, IMO, if they add a top FA at OG and draft a good Center who can step right in.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Re: Cam Thomas I agree. He is not physical enough, Wade is going to want someone on the nose to eat up two gaps, I am pretty sure of that. If we had more physical backers he might be ok with a guy running a shade with one gap, but we have speed moreso than physical strength type talent in those guys so it will be easier to bring in a nose than to go look for the LBs. Then you let Ogletree and Barron run sideline to sideline, drop into coverage, etc and do their thing. And Brock mans the 5T and/or as a depth/backup option on the nose.

Re: Center I disagree with you on Tretter. I don't want another FA who has had issues with injuries. You can get Centers into midrounds, reserve a round 3 or 4 pick for the position is the way I'd go.

I don't disagree with you guys on Roger Saffold, but I also don't think they're going to be able to solve LT this offseason. No real answer will be out there in FA, and the LT types rarely make it to round 2. I mean it's possible and it would be the top draft priority if value is there at our round 2 pick, but my strategy would be to build from the inside, start Saffold there from day one at LT, and try like crazy to solve the depth behind him whether it's GRob (albeit unlikely) or someone else on the roster. Line can still be a strength with Roger at LT, IMO, if they add a top FA at OG and draft a good Center who can step right in.

I'm with @jrry32 on this :

We can all agree that Cam Thomas is a non factor, he's out, just doesn't fit for a Phillips 3/4 NT.

JC Tretter is an excellent option for the Rams, even if temporary, as he brings a necessary veteran influence to a team which has struggled mightily at the position with both run blocking and pass pro, he can settle the middle of the line and help control many of the penalties these other youngsters so readily provide us. He shouldn't be overly priced, and maybe we can develop some talent behind him. Sure, some middle round draftees work out, and some don't. Our last little experiment with Barrett Jones was an utter failure, and Rhaney can't even get into a game. I just don't see the Rams with the time to develop a starting C with so many other young players struggling on that line.

Whether a trade, a free agent or a drafted rookie, the Rams will be hard pressed to fix a bad situation at LT. Saffold is a proven health risk at the position, far more so than as an interior lineman from my angle. If Tretter is too much a risk for you at C, how is Saffold supposed to look ? As a swing OT in case of emergency, OK, but as a starter, just appears as a recipe for disaster, especially since he proved to be our highest graded offensive lineman last season working the interior. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re: Cam Thomas I agree. He is not physical enough, Wade is going to want someone on the nose to eat up two gaps, I am pretty sure of that.

Wade doesn't have his DL two-gap.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
IMO Tretter is way too injury prone gives me flashbacks of Scott Wells even though Tretter is younger. Believe Tretter just had knee surgery last week. It is a bad FA center class, saying he is best in a bad class isn't saying much.

If Trestman is the pick at OC I could definitely see Alshon being priority number even over Tru. Sneed and Demoff seem to target the absolute best or lower tier guys in FA. Alshon had his two best years with Trestman calling the plays so, he may want to reignite that magic with his old coach.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
IMO Tretter is way too injury prone gives me flashbacks of Scott Wells even though Tretter is younger. Believe Tretter just had knee surgery last week. It is a bad FA center class, saying he is best in a bad class isn't saying much.

If Trestman is the pick at OC I could definitely see Alshon being priority number even over Tru. Sneed and Demoff seem to target the absolute best or lower tier guys in FA. Alshon had his two best years with Trestman calling the plays so, he may want to reignite that magic with his old coach.

For me the only comparisons to be made between Tretter and Scott Wells is that they were both drafted by Green Bay. Wells had some leg injuries, but his deterioration was more than likely age related. Wasn't he like 34 when the Rams released him ? Tretter is only 25. Saffold's recurring shoulder injuries as a LT seem more in the realm of chronic, where Tretter has had an ankle (couple years ago) and knee injury, the knee due to another player being blocked into him, his recent surgery was said to be for an MCL, not ACL or a chronic injury. Football players get injured, not all of them are career killers. jmo.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lang will get a lot of interest outside GB.

But it sounds like he really wants to stay there. I think it factors into it. I feel like if I was his agent, I would be kinda upset. Don't you lose leverage if you publicly announce that you want to be back and don't want to be anywhere else?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade doesn't have his DL two-gap.

He hasn't done that, but I think he will consider it once he gets a load of Ogletree and Barron at ILB. In his defense those two are going to struggle vs the run otherwise, so it's that or add LBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He hasn't done that, but I think he will consider it once he gets a load of Ogletree and Barron at ILB. In his defense those two are going to struggle vs the run otherwise, so it's that or add LBs.

I think it's more likely that he moves Barron than has his NT two-gap. That's not his scheme. It's not how he wants his defense to play.