Pro Football Weekly rumors...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Just how much has the Rams’ situation at cornerback changed? Just like that, Jerome Murphy, who was projected as the team’s No. 3 corner entering last season, currently shapes up as the sixth corner behind Cortland Finnegan, Bradley Fisher, Josh Gordy and rookies Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, according to most daily team observers. We hear there continues to be speculation that the very physical Johnson could be moved to safety.

I thought that of any of the excess DBs, Murphy would be looked at to move into a safety role. He's a good hard nosed hitter that could be used to spell Mikell occasionally and maybe even step into his role this time next year. I think if Tru shows he's fluid enough they should keep him at CB, he's built to cover the likes of Sidney Rice, Michael Floyd and Michael Crabtree.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
IDK about putting Josh Gordy ahead of Murphy, nevertheless still makes me smile that he would be our 5th CB.

I think he could have some potential at safety, but his aggressive nature could hamper his production at S. IMO his ceiling at S maybe as our 3rd safety, behind Q and Stewart. Im not sure the risk/reward profile of the possible transition indicates the move should be made.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Warner4Prez said:
Just how much has the Rams’ situation at cornerback changed? Just like that, Jerome Murphy, who was projected as the team’s No. 3 corner entering last season, currently shapes up as the sixth corner behind Cortland Finnegan, Bradley Fisher, Josh Gordy and rookies Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, according to most daily team observers. We hear there continues to be speculation that the very physical Johnson could be moved to safety.

I thought that of any of the excess DBs, Murphy would be looked at to move into a safety role. He's a good hard nosed hitter that could be used to spell Mikell occasionally and maybe even step into his role this time next year. I think if Tru shows he's fluid enough they should keep him at CB, he's built to cover the likes of Sidney Rice, Michael Floyd and Michael Crabtree.

They will. Fisher has said so himself numerous times. This talk about him at safety has been going on since the draft and none of it has ever come from the Rams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
I can't wait to see that Bradley Fisher feller.

Wow. That's nepotism at its worst. Cutting established veterans and replacing them with their long-lost children...those crazy coaches and their biases...

:lmao: :rofl:

Lesson

Oh, really?
I would think Fletcher would be behind Murphy on the depth chart due to his injury, but then again, Murphy missed all of last season, so who knows?

Anonymous

Lesson said:
I would think Fletcher would be behind Murphy on the depth chart due to his injury, but then again, Murphy missed all of last season, so who knows?

I think the issue is recovery. Murphy was recovered from his injury already late last season. Fletcher's recovery takes longer. Missing the season doesn't mean anything--a guy can go in camp, or not, right?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I honestly forgot about Murphy. So w/ Finnegan, Fletcher, Jenkins, Johnson, Murphy, Gordy...holy crap.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
I honestly forgot about Murphy. So w/ Finnegan, Fletcher, Jenkins, Johnson, Murphy, Gordy...holy crap.

And Burney gets good buzz too. Has since they signed him last year.

Fletcher, though, may not be ready to go this summer by camp and may need more time.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
Angry Ram said:

And Burney gets good buzz too. Has since they signed him last year.

Fletcher, though, may not be ready to go this summer by camp and may need more time.

PUP may not be the worst thing for him and the team. It would allow him more time to recover and it would allow us to essentially keep another CB on the roster through the preseason or the first 6 weeks.

We have a HELLUVA CB corps....very talented:
1) Finnegan
2) Jenkins
3) TruJohnson
4) Murphy
5) Fletcher (if healthy to play early on. otherwise, PUP'd)
6) Gordy or Burney....remember Gordy had 3 INTs last year in limited time.

btw
Fletcher could be PUP'd...leaving Gordy/Burney for the 5th & 6th spot
if Fletcher is not traded for a mid-pick to Cleveland/Saints.