Pro Football Focus ranks Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line dead last

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Crank up the ghost motion and horizontal running game to create running lanes. The Steelers just ran a clinic on McVay protege Zac Taylor and the Bengals last night. Use JoJo a few times on those end arounds and maybe toss in a double reverse or a pass from that look. Open up the playbook and get some deception and mystique going. Gotta get the D thinking again.

Where the hell did the RB screen game go? Isn't Allen supposed to be good at the 2nd level?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Yeah this is a tough one.

68 plus passing snaps is going to reveal some weakness. And maybe some exhaustion.

Whit was spent in the fourth IMO.

As much as McVay says its on him, this one seems to be from my seat.

Ram65

Legend
You don't need PPF to tell you the Rams offensive line has stunk it up. Penalties at home before the snap are inexcusable. We all have seen limited holes and time for Goff to throw. They need to step up this week.

McVay has been throwing early and often.

Is the lack of confidence in the offensive line?

Or Guley?

Or Both?

One way or another he has to at least make teams respect the run.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I always thought the idea that Noteboom /Allen would be an "upgrade" over Saffold /Sullivan to be laughable.

However, a game where you're forced to dig out of a early 21 point deficit should not be given too much weight.

We rang up +30 points with that line and with a competent defensive performance that should get you a win.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Really starting to wonder about McVay being able to make adjustments.

McVay can't win the adjustment battle with a weak offensive line. It is my belief that the heart and soul of any good offensive football team is its offensive line. To win consistently, you must dominate the line of scrimmage NFL games are still won or lost, in the trenches. If I was McVay-Snead I'd spend more money/first-second round draft capital on their offensive line than any other position.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Whether it's dead last, near the bottom, or something else, it's nevertheless clear that they are not as good as they were last year. Losing Saffold was going to hurt no matter what, as he had become an absolute beast and had played himself out of the Rams price range. That being said, I can cut Noteboom and Allen a little bit of slack as they are young and still gaining experience. If they haven't gotten better by the end of the season, then we worry.

The ones that worry me more are Blythe and Hav, who are both experienced and yet are both playing much worse than at this time last year. Noteboom and Allen just need to to keep getting reps and keep working hard, but Blythe and Hav? What do we do with them having seen their play drop so drastically?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not watching anything or reading any footbal cr@p about the Rams until maybe after the Hawks game or maybe not even until after the Niner's game. The bastids are enjoying the rams misfortune way too much, with their mock concern, etc...fvck off.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RG Blythe was a one legged OL'er on the field last Sunday. Looking back, nd site it might have been better if he missed that game. However, with the playing performance of Kromers main back up RG Demby forcing the too early return of the much weakened Blythe. Blythe made it through the game but not sure if he did not aggravate the injury even more. He was limping badly by the 2nd half.

The issue here Rams Org. NOT having a legitimate NFL back up OG available by the end of this past OTA's/ Training Camp & Preseason. Obvious to everyone who has followed the Rams, Jamil Demby does NOT meet this standard. This is on the Rams coaches specifically HC McVay & OC Kromer.

Not sure what going on with RT Havenstein, but he needs to be sat down for a while to get himself reset. Issue is which back up OL'er is ready to step up & take on DE Clowney..........obviously that will not happen. Havenstein will have to start & earn his big pay check. We should expect more of the same Thursday evening from Big Rob & another big loss.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
We've all beaten this one to death.
Most of us, if not all, know our OL is looking worse then last year.
It was to be expected.

We got 40 points with this line last week with no running game.
If the line can get Gurley and Brown going we will be fine against the Seahawks.

More worrying for me was our defence last week.
That was where the game was lost.
I expect huge improvements there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are 2 things that PFF doesn't tell the average fan who looks up the scores of the players to form his opinion on wtf happened:

1. What the assignment was. Sometimes it's obvious, but without knowing the call sometimes guys get the blame when they're not the one who blew it.

2. What the upside is of the player. Players who have the right stuff are going to improve going forward.

They can grade our OL down all they want. But the Rams have a unit that possesses some upside that can counter many of the problems we're seeing right now. And the other areas, like Hav & Whit, are pros who have the ability to turn the corner.

Not saying we don't need to look at this unit going forward. But there's a lot more good there than many in electronic Ramsdom realize right now IMO. Kromer's quote on how they want to be playing their best ball late season is applicable here too and there's still room for that to happen.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Grading worse than the '16 O Line. Ponder that a minute...