Preseason Week 1 Games - Around the League

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Punters? I thought we were gonna talk about football players! ~ @Merlin

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Hang time > distance in the NFL.

Out kick punt coverage. It returner gets back and gets that ball, he’s got TONS of open space.

Raiders had a guy a few years ago. I think his name was Marquette King. My buddies who are fans of the team would argue with me that he was the best punter in the league. I'd always say it's Hekker. I would watch King and he had a huge leg but had no control on direction and constantly outkicked his coverage.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what is the consensus on Bruss’ day? My video feed wasn’t great, but saw comments about how he was getting abused early on…..but then McVay said he did well?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So what is the consensus on Bruss’ day? My video feed wasn’t great, but saw comments about how he was getting abused early on…..but then McVay said he did well?
Don't play Logan Bruss next to Bobby Evans ever again. Might have to put Logan Bruss on some mental health meds for a few weeks to get him mentally back to where he was before the game.

Not sure if other members have that opinion but that's my consensus or whatever!

Loyal throwing out those educated person words.....consensus:explode1::thinking:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still resulted in a net 62 yard punt.

I would take that when we are kicking from the 18
IDK if the 82 yards from the line of scrimmage is correct that's a net of 62 yards with no return.
What I'm saying is that while that's impressive, kicking the piss out of the ball isn't what separates the great punters from the others. That's particularly true for a good/great team. Precision and hang time are what separate the wheat from the chaff.

You want a punter who will kill balls in the 20, can hang it up long enough to let your coverage unit get down field, and consistently place the punt in the spot where your coverage unit is best position to defend the return.

How great is Araiza at doing those things? We'll find out. But those are the things that made Johnny Hekker the best player at his position for years. So as impressive as that punt is, it really doesn't tell me how great Araiza will be at the things that matter the most.

To use an analogy, it's like seeing a QB throw a ball 75 yards in the air and hit a WR in stride for a TD. Impressive as hell, but it doesn't tell you how good that QB is on the routine plays that separate the greats from the JAGs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't play Logan Bruss next to Bobby Evans ever again. Might have to put Logan Bruss on some mental health meds for a few weeks to get him mentally back to where he was before the game.

Not sure if other members have that opinion but that's my consensus or whatever!

Loyal throwing out those educated person words.....consensus:explode1::thinking:
Do you think I’m @jrry32 or something? He’s the one with an unabridged vocabulary, while mine is the reader’s digest version….

Ram65

Legend
What I'm saying is that while that's impressive, kicking the piss out of the ball isn't what separates the great punters from the others. That's particularly true for a good/great team. Precision and hang time are what separate the wheat from the chaff.

You want a punter who will kill balls in the 20, can hang it up long enough to let your coverage unit get down field, and consistently place the punt in the spot where your coverage unit is best position to defend the return.

How great is Araiza at doing those things? We'll find out. But those are the things that made Johnny Hekker the best player at his position for years. So as impressive as that punt is, it really doesn't tell me how great Araiza will be at the things that matter the most.

To use an analogy, it's like seeing a QB throw a ball 75 yards in the air and hit a WR in stride for a TD. Impressive as hell, but it doesn't tell you how good that QB is on the routine plays that separate the greats from the JAGs.

I get what you're saying.

I still think he was/is well worth the pick. Time will tell.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And nobody is saying he isn't. That leg power is amazing but it could have been a great kick just a bit shorter and downed inside the 10. Not taking away from his talent but some are calling it one of the best punts ever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He might be. I'm intrigued by the young guy we have, Cameron Dicker. Was a pretty good college kicker. Only punted for a year, but put up good numbers. He has upside. Plus, if your kicker ever gets hurt, it's nice to have a punter who can step in lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Punters? I thought we were gonna talk about football players! ~ @Merlin
giphy.gif

Tano

Legend

I probably wasn't clear in my statements.

I was just saying that kick was a great kick because it resulted in a net 62 yard punt which is excellent.

However, that does not mean that Ariza will be a great punter.

Maybe he can do that frequently when backed up but not sure how his directional kicks will be and whether he can drop it in the 20.
That remains to be seen.

Tano

Legend
And nobody is saying he isn't. That leg power is amazing but it could have been a great kick just a bit shorter and downed inside the 10. Not taking away from his talent but some are calling it one of the best punts ever.
Best punts ever? I never said that and not sure who has.

It was a great kick but not best ever.