Preseason Post-Game Two Depth Chart (Offense)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
QB
2018 Roster Count: 3
QB1 Goff
QB2 Bortles
-Allen
-Wolford

QB Notes: McVay kept 2 QBs in 2017 so there is no guarantee we'll see 3 again. Allen played better in game 2 but Wolford had little to no time behind that OL he was given. I have to think the Rams opt for Wolford if they keep 3. Neither allows for upside really with both Allen and Wolford contracts being up after the season. How does QB3 stack up against the other position groups? Not too well so hard to say there will be a QB3.

RB
2018 Roster Count: 4
RB1 Gurley
RB2 Brown
RB3 Henderson
RB4 Kelly
-Davis
Colburn

RB Notes: stacked group and guaranteed full roster complement of 4. Kelly beat out Davis last year and this year it's more of the same. Set group IMO.

WR
2018 Roster Count: 6
WR1 Cooks
WR2 Woods
WR3 Kupp
WR4 Reynolds
-Hodge
-Thomas
-Webster
-Natson
-Bachman
-Greene
Proehl
Lloyd

WR Notes: Thomas was doing really well until last game, but that drop he had demonstrates how guys with iffy hands rarely develop hands at the NFL level. It's hard to say the team trusts that he can show up in games, let alone stay healthy. Still a big competition going on for 2 jobs but that said I think Hodge is in as WR5 just don't feel it's clear enough to count it just yet. Why? Well even when he's not targeted he blocks very well and had special teams impact. Web seems like a better Natson with some upside and club control. Bachman and Greene are extreme longshots. WR group vs the others does very, very well though so will they keep 7? I think that is a strong possibility. The 7th wideout is probably markedly better than the 9th OL for example.

TE
TE1 Higbee
TE2 Everett
-Mundt
-Blanton
Brooker
Brown

TE Notes. Mundt seems to have the TE3 job locked up. Blanton is too raw to be counted on, but his length and talent are evident so he does seem like a PS candidate. Brooker and Brown are just there to eat snaps, neither has a chance.

OL
2018 Roster Count: 9
OL1 Whit
OL2 Havenstein
OL3 Boom
OL4 Allen
OL5 Blythe
OL6 Edwards
OL7 Neary
OL8 Evans
-Kolone
-Demby
-Kaskey
-Hrynk
-Brewer
-Hitner

OL Notes. Complication with these guys is the "who can play where" question. That said wrt depth Kromer seems to favor the OT types with the thinking they can slide inside. Evans is really raw and I assume he makes the cut on the back of his upside/draft status because the guys below him haven't pushed hard enough. Bottom of the OL group is wide open and along with WR is the biggest undecided roster spot. Re: roster count I think they will go with 9 again (they kept 10 in 2017) with that last guy being a good mix of special teams & upside. OL vs the other position groups is bad. The 9th OL being filled is more about depth of options than that player deserving a roster spot so I won't be shocked if they elect to keep 8 with a heavy PS.

Overall: in closing my guess after 2 preseason games is the wideout group will be elevated to 7 based on the relative strength of that part of the roster to the rest of the offense. Whether it comes out of hide from the QB or OL group I don't know, but it's going to be hard to cut that 7th wideout when he's better than the 9th OL or 3rd QB. And yes, I know there's 2 more preseason games ahead just fun to look at where we're at.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
QB
QB1 Goff
QB2 Bortles
-Allen
-Wolford

QB Notes: McVay kept 2 QBs in 2017 so there is no guarantee we'll see 3 again. Allen played better in game 2 but Wolford had little to no time behind that OL he was given. I have to think the Rams opt for Wolford if they keep 3. Neither allows for upside really with both Allen and Wolford contracts being up after the season. How does QB3 stack up against the other position groups? Not too well so hard to say there will be a QB3.

RB
2018 Roster Count: 4
RB1 Gurley
RB2 Brown
RB3 Henderson
RB4 Kelly
-Davis
Colburn

RB Notes: stacked group and guaranteed full roster complement of 4. Kelly beat out Davis last year and this year it's more of the same. Set group IMO.

WR
2018 Roster Count: 6
WR1 Cooks
WR2 Woods
WR3 Kupp
WR4 Reynolds
-Hodge
-Thomas
-Webster
-Natson
-Bachman
-Greene
Proehl
Lloyd

WR Notes: Thomas was doing really well until last game, but that drop he had demonstrates how guys with iffy hands rarely develop hands at the NFL level. It's hard to say the team trusts that he can show up in games, let alone stay healthy. Still a big competition going on for 2 jobs but that said I think Hodge is in as WR5 just don't feel it's clear enough to count it just yet. Why? Well even when he's not targeted he blocks very well and had special teams impact. Web seems like a better Natson with some upside and club control. Bachman and Greene are extreme longshots. WR group vs the others does very, very well though so will they keep 7? I think that is a strong possibility. The 7th wideout is probably markedly better than the 9th OL for example.

TE
TE1 Higbee
TE2 Everett
-Mundt
-Blanton
Brooker
Brown

TE Notes. Mundt seems to have the TE3 job locked up. Blanton is too raw to be counted on, but his length and talent are evident so he does seem like a PS candidate. Brooker and Brown are just there to eat snaps, neither has a chance.

OL
2018 Roster Count: 9
OL1 Whit
OL2 Havenstein
OL3 Boom
OL4 Allen
OL5 Blythe
OL6 Edwards
OL7 Neary
OL8 Evans
-Kolone
-Demby
-Kaskey
-Hrynk
-Brewer
-Hitner

OL Notes. Complication with these guys is the "who can play where" question. That said wrt depth Kromer seems to favor the OT types with the thinking they can slide inside. Evans is really raw and I assume he makes the cut on the back of his upside/draft status because the guys below him haven't pushed hard enough. Bottom of the OL group is wide open and along with WR is the biggest undecided roster spot. Re: roster count I think they will go with 9 again (they kept 10 in 2017) with that last guy being a good mix of special teams & upside. OL vs the other position groups is bad. The 9th OL being filled is more about depth of options than that player deserving a roster spot so I won't be shocked if they elect to keep 8 with a heavy PS.

Overall: in closing my guess after 2 preseason games is the wideout group will be elevated to 7 based on the relative strength of that part of the roster to the rest of the offense. Whether it comes out of hide from the QB or OL group I don't know, but it's going to be hard to cut that 7th wideout when he's better than the 9th OL or 3rd QB. And yes, I know there's 2 more preseason games ahead just fun to look at where we're at.
I would add this ......insert OG/OT Rookie UDFA Chandler Brewer between Bob Evans butt crack as the #9 OL'er & doing some serious pressing.

While OT/OG Evans is having ugly issues working the two right side posts....... Brewer is turning out solid unsung play @ FOUR OL posts.

If it were not that Evans was our top OL selection this past draft, I would have no issues saying Brewers chances were much higher than Evans in making this 53 player roster.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would add this ......insert OG/OT Rookie UDFA Chandler Brewer between Bob Evans butt crack as the #9 OL'er & doing some serious pressing.

While OT/OG Evans is having ugly issues working the two right side posts....... Brewer is turning out solid unsung play @ FOUR OL posts.

If it were not that Evans was our top OL selection this past draft, I would have no issues saying Brewers chances were much higher than Evans in making this 53 player roster.

Go with the best player. Drop Evans and keep Brewer.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nice projections on both O and D, Merlin.

Might be fun to re-visit after 3rd and 4th preseason games.