Prescott has a chance to move into the #4 QB spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is an article on Draftbreakdown. I don't necessarily agree with it. I have been watching QBs lately and I was very disappointed with Prescotts scrambling and running. He is not as quick or fast as I would have imagined for a guy that some are saying could be the next Russell Wilson.

http://draftbreakdown.com/dak-prescott-has-chance-to-cement-status-as-no-4-qb-at-combine/

Dak Prescott Has Chance to Cement Status as No. 4 QB at Combine
Written by Nicholas McGee on February 25, 2016

Heading into the NFL Scouting Combine, the consensus about who are the top three quarterbacks in the 2016 draft class has not changed. Most have either California’s Jared Goff or North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz as the best signal-caller in the draft, with Memphis’ Paxton Lynch seen as a player with significant upside at No. 3 behind that duo.

Below that triumvirate, though, the picture is somewhat muddled. However, Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott is a player who seems to be on the rise going into the Combine. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller recently reported Prescott is “flying up draft boards”, saying scouts are impressed with his football IQ and see him as this year’s Russell Wilson.

Prescott will have another chance to impress league personnel in Indianapolis in the on-field drills and the interview room and, if he can catch the eye like he did in the four seasons he played with the Bulldogs and at the Senior Bowl – where he was voted as the MVP – then Prescott could overhaul Michigan State’s Connor Cook and cement a spot as the No. 4 QB on the board ahead of April’s draft.
dakprescott2-300x169.jpg

Cook has widely been regarded as the next best option behind Goff, Wentz and Lynch but it would be no surprise to see Prescott taken ahead of him.

Prescott enjoyed an excellent 2015 season, finishing with 3793 passing yards and 29 touchdowns with just five interceptions. He added 588 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground.

Having long since established himself as a running threat, Prescott has made considerable strides as a passer and in his mental development, going through progressions and using his eyes well to manipulate defenders.

A confident and decisive passer, Prescott can deliver with velocity when he steps into his throws and does so with accuracy on the short-to-intermediate passes.

Prescott does not have an elite arm strength but puts impressive touch on his deep passes, showing an ability to loft the ball over the heads of defenders and perfectly into the hands of his receivers.

What is perhaps most impressive about Prescott, though, and what should separate him from Cook, is how he deals with pressure. He is not consistently effective in sensing the rush off the edge but hangs tough in the pocket and does a good job of escaping pressure with his legs. Additionally, when hurried he can get enough on his passes to make completions throwing off his back foot.

On the ground Prescott has the strength to be a battering ram on goal-line and short-yardage situations but can also make big plays in space and is more than capable of throwing on the run.

By contrast Cook is only really a threat from short yardage and does not have the mobility to evade the rush with the same effectiveness as Prescott. Indeed, Cook does not appear to pick up pressure well and was completely overwhelmed by Alabama’s front seven in the Cotton Bowl, although the offensive line should take much of the blame for that performance.
connorcook-300x158.jpg

Cook does possess many of the same positive traits as Prescott, he is an accurate passer who can zip the ball into tight windows and throws with touch and anticipation. However, Cook too often stares down his targets and forces balls into coverage while also demonstrating inconsistencies with his footwork, regularly throwing with his weight falling away from the target and losing accuracy as a result.

That is not to say Prescott is without his deficiencies. He has a tendency to pre-determine throws and, while he has generally proven himself to be quite accurate, could do a better job of leading his receivers to the sideline.

In many ways, he and Cook are similar prospects, but Prescott, with his added mobility, proficiency in dealing with pressure and upside as a dual-threat quarterback, is the one NFL teams should be putting higher up on their boards.

Prescott will still have to prove himself at the combine and, should he outshine Cook and impress in the interviews, his name figures to be the next one called once Goff, Wentz and Lynch are gone.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Interesting, I wasn't high on Prescott last year but he has seemed to improve his passing. Im not high on Cook at all so it wouldn't take all that much to pass him up for me. Prescott seems like a Fisher type QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've been wanting to like him for a couple years, but something is missing. I could see him in play, but I hope he isn't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only for a team like Buffalo or SF who are going to prioritize athleticism in their QB and don't mind developing him. His accuracy is bad, and can probably be made much better with mechanics work but he's a project so I think most teams would take Cook before him.

Most teams also might take Hogan before Prescott too, for that matter. Hogan is a potential riser just as much as Prescott is, gonna come down to his throwing motion and whether the changes he's worked show when he throws tomorrow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been wanting to like him for a couple years, but something is missing. I could see him in play, but I hope he isn't.

When I watched him, I wasn't impressed. Struck me as a Tarvaris Jackson type player. Average at pretty much everything. More of a backup/spot starter type imo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
When I watched him, I wasn't impressed. Struck me as a Tarvaris Jackson type player. Average at pretty much everything. More of a backup/spot starter type imo.
Yeah, not good enough arm, not fast enough legs, stares receivers down too much.

But he's a good leader, he cleaned up his release a little, and he's tough. Just not enough of anything special, IMO, and I really wanted to like him.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Not a great QB prospect, but with Cook taking hits for his personality and other concerns, someone has to rise. Prescott has somethings going for him so I'm not going to say he's all bad. That said, the article mentioning him alongside Russell Wilson is ridiculous.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not a great QB prospect, but with Cook taking hits for his personality and other concerns, someone has to rise. Prescott has somethings going for him so I'm not going to say he's all bad. That said, the article mentioning him alongside Russell Wilson is ridiculous.

Everyone wants to find the next ____.

There is a reason Russell Wilson is a rare player... His combination of physical traits are not very common.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wilson wasn't thought of to be all that great coming out either but has shown he can play at this level because of his legs and developing into a better passer even with limited WR strength.

I don't know what the heck is up with Cook but there has to be something about him that does not translate to being a leader.

Prescott has gotten better over the last couple of years but does not seem to be ready to step in and will need a team who can develop him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wilson wasn't thought of to be all that great coming out either but has shown he can play at this level because of his legs and developing into a better passer even with limited WR strength.

I don't know what the heck is up with Cook but there has to be something about him that does not translate to being a leader.

Prescott has gotten better over the last couple of years but does not seem to be ready to step in and will need a team who can develop him

Wilson's issue was height. A lot of people wrote him off because of it. I even wrote him off to an extent.(thought he'd be a great backup/spot starter like Seneca Wallace) And I loved the kid in college. As a thrower, there was no question he had the ability. My concern (and many other people's concern) was that he wouldn't be able to handle being in a NFL pocket because his vision would be limited. It's kind of true...but he's proven that he can make it work with his mobility, mental acuity, and instincts.

WvuIN02

Starter
I was iffy on Wilson till I saw him in person shred a pretty good defense we had at WVU when we played NC State in the bowl game. Kid is a flat out baller.

I dont think Prescott is in the same league as he was coming out as a passer, but he is exactly the type of player Fisher has targeted in the past so somehow it would not surprise me at all if the Rams went that way.