PREGAME Pregame Thread - Rams at Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I want to see a 100yd rushing game for Hendo!!
The giants out of 5 games have given 100 rushing to the top rusher
on each team 3 out of the 5 and a 95yd rusher in another.
Only Atlanta was held to 60 yds by their leading rusher whose name
I have never seen.

Hey McVay Big Whit is giving that keep running the ball signal he does when he wants us to run the ball again. :giggle:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was a Giants fan, I'd want the HC to sit Daniel Jones' ass down this week. Sure you want to win, but the dude couldn't even walk straight after the hit. Thinking of his and the Giants future, this game isn't all that important unless the HC is being selfish.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
#99 Should be retired league wide in honor of Aaron Donald. JJ Watt can use #01. This Giants dude looks like a freak imposter wearing AD's number!
There is only one 99 GWG

images.jpeg
images.jpeg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Week 6 Preview: Rams ready and focused for meadowlands matchup with Giants​

There's a 2020 game I've thought about a lot this week, and I wonder if it's crossed your mind, too.

No, not the narrow win over the New York Giants at SoFi Stadium. But rather, the crushing defeat at the hands of the New York Jets in Week 15.

I don't mean to imply the Los Angeles Rams lost that day because they overlooked a winless opponent. Whatever the reason for falling to an inferior squad, it was just the latest NFL installment of "any given Sunday."

As the Rams enter a stretch of three straight contests against teams with losing records, hopefully last year's gut punch will serve them well. Because for the rest of the month, there are no undefeated showdowns. No prime time showcases. No division games. Just their desire to uphold the Rams standard, play to their potential, and pursue greatness.

Emotional Rollercoaster

Five games in the rearview mirror, and looking back, the start to the season was more draining than perhaps we appreciated in real time.

SoFi Stadium debut in front of fans; first road trip; defending Super Bowl Champions in town; NFC West opener against undefeated Arizona; Thursday Night Football in Seattle.

That mini-bye at 4-1 couldn't have been better-placed.

Now, five more tests before the open date in Week 11, and only one of those challengers currently has a winning mark (the Tennessee Titans).

Take nothing for granted, yes. But bank wins if you're able.

Do The Math

Our guest on this week’s Rams Revealed was former Ivy League calculus tutor Michael Hoecht, who articulated the team's hunger in a way that left me convinced.

"Everybody in the film room goes into it saying, 'We left a ton of plays on the field'," the first-year defensive lineman told us while reviewing the Seattle win.

"There are so many things (in all three phases) we're only going to continue to get better and better at. And we're only going to get smarter and smarter at. We're only going to hit harder and harder throughout the season."

Head coach Sean McVay summarized the attitude going to New York this way: "We've got the wrong guys if I have to convince them that they need to be ready to show up in this three-hour window of time."

Who Can Fill for DWill?

As you've likely heard, the Rams will be without starting corner Darious Williams for the next three games.

As McVay said this week, you don't replace Williams with just one person. A few options come to mind as the Rams look to fill the void of a defensive player so valuable, they placed a first-round tender on him this offseason.

Over the next three Sundays, we may see Terrell Burgess effectively make his season debut in the slot. Or someone with veteran experience like Dont'e Deayon could be promoted from the practice squad to face the Giants, the franchise that gave him his NFL start. Or David Long Jr. could return to the lineup in pursuit of more moments like his season-opening interception against the Bears.

As the Rams piece it together at corner, they've got two invaluable advantages: Jalen Ramsey's ability to fend for himself (freeing up coverage resources elsewhere) and the shot clock guaranteed by Aaron Donald's pass rush.

Big (Black and) Blue

L.A. won't get any sympathy from a Giants group missing running back Saquon Barkley, receiver Kenny Golladay, and linebacker Blake Martinez, just to name a few.

Their starting quarterback Daniel Jones – who's enjoying a career season to this point despite the team's woes – still has to clear concussion protocol to play, as well.

Going into Sunday, the Rams have a clear advantage on the injury report.

Unparallel Lines

Perhaps nowhere is the injury disparity more apparent than along the offensive lines.

According to PFF, the Rams front ranks among the top 10 in the league with their pass blocking, run blocking, and overall grades. ESPN likes them a lot, as well. That's a direct result of their continuity, with the same five players making every start.

Conversely, the Giants lost center Nick Gates and left guard Shane Lemieux for the season in the first two weeks. They've have had five different players take snaps at left guard. And even as they get healthy at tackle, there's indecision. Joe Judge reportedly intends to play Andrew Thomas, Nate Solder and Matt Peart in some form of platoon.

More Production Than Points

It's not just the Rams offensive line that's thriving. Every offensive position group has excelled.

According to Next Gen Stats, Matthew Stafford leads all QBs with +67.3 Expected Points Added this season. The group is hitting explosive plays, with more deep completions already this season than all of 2020.

The Rams lead the NFL in yards per play, and are one of the elite offenses according to DVOA.

Per NFL Research, L.A. is one of three teams (Cowboys, Chiefs) to have scored 20-plus points in each outing this season. Yet it feels like it's only a matter of time before they put up even bigger point totals (the Rams are currently eighth in scoring).

No Prize for Longest Drive

There are only two areas I can identify that are lacking: red zone and starting field position.

The Rams are fifth in the league in opportunities inside the opponent's 20-yard line (an admittedly arbitrary demarcation), but 22nd in converting those red zone trips into touchdowns.

And after five weeks and 16 touchdowns, the shortest of those drives is still 70 yards. In fact, the average touchdown drive length for the Rams in 2021 is a whopping 78.4 yards.

The fact they're putting up more than 28 points per game despite not capitalizing on a single short field (or the benefit of a non-offensive touchdown) is wild.

Misery Loves Company

In defense of Matt Gay's hiccups, Week 5 saw the most missed extra point attempts in NFL history (13).

The last two weeks, Gay has missed his first field goal try of the season, his first extra point as a Ram, and pulled a couple kickoffs out of bounds.

He appears on the injury report going to New York with some ankle trouble, but look for the Rams kicker to bounce back in the Big Apple.

Thriller Night

One other bit of NFL Research caught my eye. There have been 19 games so far this season with the winning score being registered in the last minute of regulation or in overtime, the most such games through five weeks in NFL history. Furthermore, eight have gone to overtime.

The Rams haven't been involved in any of those.

Here's hoping no late-game heroics are required to get out of the Meadowlands with a win on Sunday.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

As Cardinals make big trade for Zach Ertz, Rams have defenders trading places

The Rams do not appear to have a major need, but could explore adding cornerback depth depending on how the next two games play out.

Starting cornerback Darious Williams is on injured reserve for at least the next three games because of an ankle injury suffered last Thursday during a 26-17 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, a win that improved the Rams’ record to 1-1 in the division.

The Rams will attempt to replace him with a combination of rookie Robert Rochell, third-year pro David Long and second-year pro Terrell Burgess. The Rams also are expected to promote Dont’e Deayon from the practice squad for Sunday.

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey (5) looks on before an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Kyusung Gong)
RAMS
Rams’ Jalen Ramsey leads revamped secondary off and on field
Oct. 14, 2021
The Cardinals and Rams could make it a two-team race in the NFC West if the Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers are unable to weather injuries suffered by their quarterbacks.

The Seahawks’ Russell Wilson had surgery this week to repair his right middle finger, which he injured against the Rams.
The Rams do not appear to have a major need, but could explore adding cornerback depth depending on how the next two games play out.

Starting cornerback Darious Williams is on injured reserve for at least the next three games because of an ankle injury suffered last Thursday during a 26-17 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, a win that improved the Rams’ record to 1-1 in the division.

The Rams will attempt to replace him with a combination of rookie Robert Rochell, third-year pro David Long and second-year pro Terrell Burgess. The Rams also are expected to promote Dont’e Deayon from the practice squad for Sunday.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

For Rams secondary, group effort needed to make up for Darious Williams' absence​

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:30 AM
Stu Jackson
Staff Write

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – For an idea of how valuable cornerback Darious Williams is to the Rams' secondary, consider that head coach Sean McVay and defensive coordinator Raheem Morris have both said his positional flexibility plays a critical role in how fellow cornerback Jalen Ramsey is deployed.

In other words, Williams is difficult to replace, and won't be by just one player while he's on injured reserve with an ankle injury. According to Morris, it will take a committee approach as the Rams prepare to be without Williams for the next three weeks starting this Sunday against the Giants (10 a.m. pacific time, FOX).

"Not to steal a (Patriots Head Coach Bill) Belichick (line), but he's a wonderful football player and he's a dream to coach," Morris said of Williams. "He's one of those guys that you can put all over the field. He's one of those guys that provides that versatility for not just AD (DL Aaron Donald) but everybody around him, some of the safety's, some of the guys that he's able to communicate with and how he moves about his business, how he goes about his process during the week. He really enables some of the other guys to get better and better as they go. And it's very difficult, but it's something that we're all built for, and it's something that this team is built for."

Initially, the Rams chose to keep rookie Robert Rochell on the outside, with third-year cornerback David Long stationed inside after Williams exited last week's game against the Seahawks with an ankle injury.

Morris and Ramsey wouldn't go into detail about what exactly the secondary would look like, understandable as not to tip off the Giants well in advance of kickoff, but Morris mentioned needing Rochell and Long, as well as safety Terrell Burgess (who has positional versatility) potentially stepping up into a bigger role after being used almost exclusively on special teams through the first five games. Donald mentioned Donte' Deayon potentially getting a bigger role as well.

No matter what the group looks like, Ramsey and Morris have full confidence in the players who will be asked to step up.
"We got people in place ready to step up, and I think they will," Morris said.

"I mean, I've been around the guys, you know what I mean?" Ramsey said. "I've been around the guys. I done worked with them. (I) grind with them, seeing them put the work in, challenged them myself, had them challenge me, and that's it. So, I'm confident going into the game."

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Traveling across the Country for an early game is never going to be a sure thing. This could be a tougher game than many imagine.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to give some respect to Daniel Jones for playing in this game. He could have easily played the concussion card out and quietly skipped the game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Got to give some respect to Daniel Jones for playing in this game. He could have easily played the concussion card out and quietly skipped the game.

It's stupid. I'm sorry, but Jones could barely fucking walk after he was concussed, and he wants to play behind a patchwork O-line with no star running back to keep heat off him?

It's not toughness; it's stupidity.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It's stupid. I'm sorry, but Jones could barely fucking walk after he was concussed, and he wants to play behind a patchwork O-line with no star running back to keep heat off him?

Those aren't mutually exclusive though....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's why he's a professional football player. 'Cause he plays ball
He'll be medically cleared, and kudos to him for not taking the easy way out
Maybe not so good for us now, but still

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Everybody reacts and recovers to these differently. He cleared the same protocol required by the league of team and independent doctors so perhaps he actually is ok.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We Yanks don't understand... These strange metric measurements are the work of witches and hobgoblins
Its funny, i bought a split unit AC last year from Mexico(cheaper) and the digital temp readout is only in Celsius. Because of this i'm now familiar with Celsius temps.