Predicting the Last 5 In, Last 5 out for the Rams' Final 53-Man Roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-5-out-for-st-louis-rams-final-53-man-roster

Predicting the Last 5 In, Last 5 out for St. Louis Rams' Final 53-Man Roster
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist Jun 29, 2015

It's summer break time for the St. Louis Rams, but training camp is just around the corner. Until then, we can only speculate on who will be in or out when it comes to the final roster.

The current Rams team is young and inexperienced but also immensely talented thanks to an influx of lofty draft picks in recent years. The high level of talent will force the coaching staff to make some difficult decisions during final cuts.

This article will highlight 10 players on the bubble and predict their fates. Five will make the final roster, and the other five won't be as lucky.

OL Garrett Reynolds: In
hi-res-5dbb7ee3c31d2a6b10aa13e612765b0b_crop_north.jpg

Duane Burleson/Associated Press

The 2014 St. Louis roster featured nine offensive linemen, but, in 2015, 10 is a possibility.

If the Rams opt for nine, it's vital that each and every lineman has something to offer. For the ninth spot, the Rams could do a lot worse than an experienced veteran, such as Garrett Reynolds.

Reynolds has started 27 games in the last four years, including 10 games in 2013. The 27-year-old veteran can play guard or tackle, so he'll be backing up at least three positions.

During his 2013 season with the Atlanta Falcons, he allowed just three sacks and two quarterback hits in 10 games. If he's forced into action, he'll be able to keep Nick Foles upright.

The Rams are also carrying four rookie linemen. When it comes to rookies, there's no guarantee they'll be ready for Week 1. Few would have predicted Davin Joseph starting over No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson at guard early last season, but it happened.

For all we know, none of the rookies will be ready. That's unlikely, but a possibility nonetheless. Having Reynolds on the roster is an insurance policy. He can hold down a starting spot if need be, until his rookie replacement is fully acclimated.

CB Brandon McGee: Out
hi-res-2e89a64a95a36e43513acc7546dad907_crop_north.jpg

Tom Gannam/Associated Press

Former fifth-round pick Brandon McGee has struggled to adapt to the NFL.

He saw his first real action on defense in Week 12 of 2013, against the Chicago Bears. He entered the game as an injury replacement and was completely torched by Josh McCown.

McGee saw some playing time against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 2 last season. Other than that, he spent most of the 2014 season on injured reserve.

Unless there's an injury or two, McGee will have a tough time making the cut. The Rams struggled to get Marcus Roberson and Lamarcus Joyner on the field for parts of last season. If you add McGee into the mix, he'll serve no purpose on defense.

There's a chance he'll pull through if his special teams play is phenomenal this preseason, but don't count on it. He's likely finished in St. Louis.

RB Chase Reynolds: In
hi-res-4e0a079f5510c2387f186981c3a74708_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

Chase Reynolds has no chance of seeing snaps on offense, but the coaching staff doesn't care about that. Reynolds is listed as a running back, but that's a technicality—he's a special teamer through and through.

Reynolds' high-quality special teams play does not guarantee him a spot. If keeping Reynolds means cutting another young player with monster potential, he could be out of luck.

But most likely, he'll squeak through at the very end, just as he's done the last two seasons. Reynolds is an old-school player who works his heart out and takes special teams play seriously. Jeff Fisher loves that in a player.

QB Austin Davis: Out
hi-res-2eb10a03621297ee092e9e048d9e82d3_crop_north.jpg

Michael Thomas/Associated Press

Austin Davis will enter camp as a fourth arm and will compete with Case Keenum.

Davis had some flashes in 2014, including several late-game rallies against the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles. But overall, his play is far too erratic and he can't be counted on with the game on the line.

Keenum is more cautious with the football and less prone to turning the ball over. The No. 2 quarterback is meant to be a game manager who maximizes the team's chances at victory. Keenum fits that description much better than Davis.

When Davis is on, he demonstrates moments of greatness. He'll catch on somewhere else, but the Rams will likely move on.

WR Chris Givens: In
hi-res-efd422abdd94ed26a43f17fee7d2049d_crop_north.jpg

Charlie Riedel/Associated Press

Now that Bud Sasser is out of the race due to a heart condition, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com, the race for the final wide receiver spot is between Chris Givens and Damian Williams.

Givens fell out of favor in 2014. He was phased out of the offense and caught just 11 passes for 159 yards. Part of the issue is that he's strictly a deep-ball target. He's totally irrelevant in the short and intermediate game.

However, it's hard to forget his first two NFL years. As a rookie in 2012, he finished with 698 yards and three touchdowns, and he caught a pass for 50 or more yards in five consecutive games. He lost some of that excitement in 2013 and made less highlight-worthy grabs, but he still finished with 34 receptions and 569 yards.

If Givens has spent the offseason perfecting his short routes and overall route running skills, there's a shot he'll revive his career. With only one man to beat, there's a chance he'll return in 2015.

RB Malcolm Brown: Out
hi-res-c95c227b26852fcb41a6d2c9b3036c21_crop_north.jpg

Running back Malcolm Brown will enter camp as one of the more talented undrafted rookies, but he won't go uncontested.

Todd Gurley, Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham are all locks for the final roster, and Reynolds will likely grab the fourth spot as a special-teams weapon. If the Rams carry five backs, as they did in 2014, that leaves Malcolm Brown and Isiah Pead as the contenders for the final spot.

Pead, a former second-round pick, has struggled to show much of anything at the NFL level. However, the fourth-year back has more experience and far more raw potential than Brown. Unless the coaching staff is completely fed up with Pead's slow development, it appears Brown will be out of luck.

Although, there are a few ways things could work out in Brown's favor.

For starters, it's possible he'll far outplay Pead in every aspect. That's not totally improbable given Pead's grim career trajectory, but it's still a long-shot. Pead is always flat on gameday, but he's a much better player on the practice field.

If Brown can't outplay Pead, there's a shot he'll remain on the roster during the first few weeks as an injury replacement. If Gurley begins his career on the PUP list, Brown will fill the final running back spot until he's ready to go.

A lot of things have to work out in his favor. But even if he falls short, there's still a chance he'll make the practice squad.

DE Ethan Westbrooks: In
hi-res-7c959e871b7f51dd03f2c8ab2b95286b_crop_north.jpg

Every morning, Ethan Westbrooks looks in the mirror and sees a face tattoo staring back at him. He got the ink for motivation. He told himself that he will never get a real job thanks to the facial art, so making it work in the NFL is his only chance.

It's hard to bet against someone with such a infallible motivational tool, but there are still some hurdles.

The Rams have carried only eight defensive linemen in the recent past. If that's the case, Westbrooks is totally out of luck unless there's an injury. However, if the team sticks with nine linemen, as it did in 2014, Westbrooks will grab that final spot with little resistance.

The only remote competition he'll face is seventh-round rookie Martin Ifedi. Ifedi shouldn't be overlooked, but Westbrooks was so impressive and versatile during the 2014 preseason, it's hard to see a late-round rookie matching his play.

Now, he only has to pray St. Louis opts for nine linemen. That should be the case, as the Rams clearly put a great emphasis on stout defensive line play.

WR Damian Williams: Out
hi-res-0f76243f69da627fa41e7e672e9e0735_crop_north.jpg

Alan Diaz/Associated Press

Damian Williams was a third-round draft pick by the Tennessee Titans in 2010, making him a member of Fisher's final draft class in Tennessee.

We've seen moments of capable play throughout Williams' career, including a nice sophomore season with 592 yards and five touchdowns. But overall, his production has been sporadic and inconsistent.

Williams has had just 16 catches in his last two NFL seasons. According to his former offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, Williams has struggled with consistency since his days in Tennessee, which caused frustration. He required pep talks in order for things to click, per CBS Sports.

He also lacks the big-play potential that Givens offers. He has just one reception of 50 or more yards in five NFL seasons. As mentioned, Givens had five in his rookie year alone.

If the Rams opt for six receivers, as many teams do, Williams has a shot. If it's just him against Givens, the edge will go to Givens.

CB Marcus Roberson: In
hi-res-cc87d59848ef9e2c39a86d6aaa241da4_crop_north.jpg

Janoris Jenkins, E.J. Gaines and Trumaine Johnson are set as St. Louis' top-three corners. Lamarcus Joyner is also perfectly safe due to his status as a 2014 second-round pick.

That leaves Marcus Roberson and McGee as the candidates for the final spot. As mentioned, McGee has been incapable of showing anything worthwhile on defense, so Roberson has to be the favorite entering camp.

Roberson is also far more talented than McGee physically. He was Day-2 talent during the 2014 draft, possibly even a late first-round guy, but that was spoiled by a poor combine performance and injury concerns. His stock was also hurt by a two-game suspension during his final year at Florida, per NFL.com.

Roberson is extremely talented and was a total steal as an undrafted rookie in 2014. The Rams will hang on to him and develop him as much as possible.

C Demetrius Rhaney: Out
hi-res-c13e5eaa10ed199e91b87ffe0c62a38c_crop_north.jpg

Uncredited/Associated Press

Demetrius Rhaney won't make the final roster—assuming there are no injuries—but that hardly means the Rams are done with him. It's just a numbers game.

Whether the Rams keep nine or 10 offensive linemen, it doesn't make a lot of sense to give Rhaney that final spot, as he's still eligible for the practice squad. Tim Barnes and Barrett Jones will be the primary competitors for the starting center job, so retaining Rhaney as the third center offers little value. As the No. 3, there's little to no chance he'll see action on game day.

If there's an injury to Barnes or Jones, Rhaney will be activated from the practice squad. Until then, it's far more logical to retain a player with more experience and versatility, such as Reynolds.

Alan

Legend
Thank Buddha we have Garrett Reynolds in case one of our rookies don't pan out or we need some extra time to get him up to speed. I would have have a lot more comfortable with one of the other options that were available but...

I too question Rhaney's abilty to nake the final 53.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Who the hell is Malcolm Brown? Also, Rainey WILL start at center. You heard it here first.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I too question Rhaney's abilty to nake the final 53.
How about the PS?

Then in 2016 he should be a viable option....

Don't know why Chase makes everybody's roster....EVERYBODY'S!!!!! I'm looking for Malcolm Brown to prove his worth and steal a spot...Reminds me of Terrell Davis...Can he hit? Can he play ST?

Nobody likes Brandon McGee...NOBODY!!!!! His first game was against Chicago...Marshall & that huge guy Alshon Jeffery....2 of the best....yeah he had a couple PI's...His only problem in my eyes is his inability to stay healthy...injury free....don't know what his problem is...but if he can get on the field he should be a decent backup.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher has seemed HIGH on Rhaney this off season, so IDK! One thing for sure, the Rams will have some hard choices to make when it comes down to the Final Cuts!!

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 thinking I'm down on Rhaney:
How about the PS?

Then in 2016 he should be a viable option....

Don't know why Chase makes everybody's roster....EVERYBODY'S!!!!! I'm looking for Malcolm Brown to prove his worth and steal a spot...Reminds me of Terrell Davis...Can he hit? Can he play ST?

Nobody likes Brandon McGee...NOBODY!!!!! His first game was against Chicago...Marshall & that huge guy Alshon Jeffery....2 of the best....yeah he had a couple PI's...His only problem in my eyes is his inability to stay healthy...injury free....don't know what his problem is...but if he can get on the field he should be a decent backup.....
A few comments:

I don't know how good Rhaney is or could/would be in the future but yes, I sure hope we keep him on the PS. With our history you know we can't have too many fall back options.

We have one of the best ST's in the league so I'm OK with keeping a roster spot for the best ST player on our roster.

Well, you wormed my secret identity out of me. just call me Mr. Nobody A. Everybody. You're goooooood! :LOL: I like him but not as much as Roberson who I never thought I'd like because of his unwillingness to tackle...anybody. But that was in college and he must have woken up and realized that if he wants to have a career in the NFL he needs to change that mind set and so far so good. I hope we find a way to keep McGee though because who knows what's going to happen with J.J. and Tru. Both of them might decide to test the FA waters and get offers we can't match. We might need McGee as a backup next year. But you're right about his injuries. You can't compete if you're always hurt.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I forgot about Garrett Reynolds. He is an experienced vet. But would be turn out to be our next Adam Goldberg?

StevenG-BR

Rookie

It's really only a two-way race between Brown and Pead, at least for now. Watts has his four-game suspension, so he's irrelevant when it comes to the initial 53-man roster. But he still needs to show up and work hard if he's hoping to replace Brown/Pead upon his return.

I'm not high on Pead AT ALL. But I like his chances against Brown. This is his fourth training camp, so he's experienced. He also realizes this is likely his final shot at the NFL, so his effort will reflect that. I'd be shocked if he's on the roster for 17 weeks... but until Gurley is 100% & until Watts returns, he'll have 2-4 week window to show what he can do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who the hell is Malcolm Brown? Also, Rainey WILL start at center. You heard it here first.

I've been on the Rhaney hype train from day one. Would love to see him beat out Barnes and Jones. Malcolm Brown is a UDFA RB from Texas. Long shot to make the team but with Watts suspension it's possible he makes it over Pead and Watts.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I forgot about Garrett Reynolds. He is an experienced vet. But would be turn out to be our next Adam Goldberg?

Some of the low-level veteran linemen under Fisher have been busts (Davin Joseph), but a few have surprised us with some mild success... Rob Turner and Wayne Hunter are two examples. Neither were long-term answers, but both held their own if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reynolds has something to offer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some of the low-level veteran linemen under Fisher have been busts (Davin Joseph), but a few have surprised us with some mild success... Rob Turner and Wayne Hunter are two examples. Neither were long-term answers, but both held their own if I remember correctly.

IDK! 'Chase' maybe! 'Garrett' I don't think so! ( notice what I did their!?!):giggle:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I for one truly believe that Garrett Reynolds brings some veteran versatility to game day actives. Reynolds can assist with four OL posts.

Example if Robinson OLT goes down.... Reynolds enters @ OLG as Saffold moves left a dew ft to OLT. If either ORG Jamon Brown or ORT Rob Havenstein go down then Reynolds can be plugged in. Reynolds can start @ OLG/ORG or ORT post if need be.

Good Chance that Boudreau's two most versatile non starting OL'ers Garrett Reynolds & Barrett Jones will be Boudreau's main two game day (#6th & #7th) dressed back up OL'ers.

As far as placing Demetrius Rhaney on the OUT list.....what happens if both Barrett Jones & Tim Barnes both earn a starting position in Boudreau's starting 2015 OL?

Last edited: