Predictable Rams offense easy to defend

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ron Clements
<a class="postlink" href="http://ronclements.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-05-02T08:25:00-07:00&max-results=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ronclements.blogspot.com/search? ... -results=7</a>

Sunday came and went with another loss for the St. Louis Rams. We saw the same things – penalties, ineffective line play, solid effort by a defense that wore down late and gave up some big plays, poor special teams and offensive play calling that even a football novice would be able to defend against.

I asked Steve Spagnuolo directly following the game if he was pleased with the play calling of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Without hesitation, the answer was, “Yeah, absolutely.”

Really, Steve? Really?

I may have answered that question with something like, “For the most part, yes. We need to score more points and be more effective in some situations. Josh can do a better job. We can all do a better job.”

An answer like that doesn’t throw McDaniels under the bus, but it also addresses the issue of McDaniels’ questionable play calling.

Want examples? Oh, I’ve got examples.

Let’s go back to the first game against Seattle when the Rams scored a measly seven points using multiple spread, empty sets. When the Rams did run, their personnel packages told the Seahawks exactly what they were going to do. Steven Jackson goes from the outside to the backfield with two tight ends and a fullback.

So no running back = pass. Two tight ends and a fullback with the running back behind the quarterback = run. That’s pretty easy to figure out and the Seahawks had an easy time defending it. The result was 185 yards of total offense and only 42 rushing yards for Jackson.

Let’s fast forward to Sunday’s 20-13 loss to Cincinnati. The Rams did not convert a single third down until late in the fourth quarter and finished the game 2-of-13 on third-down conversions. Why were the Rams so bad? Well, let’s first give the Bengals defense some credit. But then the culpability falls on McDaniels.

First quarter – third-and-7 – Jackson runs right for a loss of a yard.
First quarter – third-and-1 – Jackson runs right for a loss of two yards.
Second quarter – third-and-3 – Kellen Clemens sacked for a loss of six yards.
Second quarter – third-and-6 – A throwback pass from Jerious Norwood to Clemens, who then underthrew a wide-open Austin Pettis.
Second quarter – third-and-1 – Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd goes in motion, stops to get set in the backfield telling everybody in the building that he’s going to be getting the ball and then runs left for a loss of three yards.
Second quarter – third-and-4 – Clemens pass to Lloyd for a gain of a yard.
Second quarter – third-and-6 – Clemens pass to Danario Alexander for a gain of five yards.
Third quarter – third-and-2 – Pass play and Clemens scrambles for a gain of one yard.
Third quarter – third-and-7 – Clemens sacked by “Cousin Nate” for a loss of eight yards.
Fourth quarter – third-and-1 – Clemens sacked for a loss of five while lined up in the shotgun.

So we have some third-and-shorts where McDaniels decides to pass, a third-and-long where he decides to run and a pair of trick plays that failed miserably and a pair of passes that were thrown well short of the marker. The only play call I liked was the throwback pass, but Clemens didn’t throw a good pass with a Bengals lineman bearing down on him.

I don’t know how Spagnuolo – or anybody else – can be happy with that. I know Rams fans sure aren’t. That’s evident by the boos that rain down regularly at the Edward Jones Dome.