Pre-season Game 2 OL & RB's ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If this wiki is correct; LINK

IPP = International Pathway Program
Rams are one of the 4 NFCW teams participating

The NFL has specific regulations for players that sign through the IPP. The teams to which each IPP player is assigned are allowed 91 players on their off-season rosters, one more than those teams that are not participating in the IPP that year.

At the point when these rosters need to be cut to 53 (at the end of pre-season), the participating teams must decide the status of their IPP players.

First, the team can keep their IPP player on their 53-man roster. If they waive the player, he goes through the NFL's waiver system, which allows him to be claimed by another team.
If he clears waivers, the team can sign the player to their practice squad. If they do, they may elect to take an exemption for the IPP player, giving them an extra spot on their practice squad. If they utilize the exemption, that player cannot be signed to the active roster of any team during the season. If the exemption is declined, the player is treated like any other practice squad player, and can be promoted to a team's active roster. If the player chooses to sign with a team other than the one to which he was assigned, that team may not claim the exemption.
That's a really nice thing to have IF you get a player who has some promise to him, which the Rams seem to have. So they're gonna cut him and after he clears waivers get an exemption. Pretty cool to be able to have another quality lineman prospect practicing and getting better that other teams can't touch. :thumbsup1:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I think Shelton has a chance to make it. Which is a surprise to me but he's played solid this preseason and the way the top of our depth shakes out with so much OT quality it seems like an interior type would be wise on the bottom.

Meredith has definitely shown some good things. You know what I really like about his film is he plays fast. I don't mean in terms of foot speed but rather just the speed he's operating at. Watching our OL I've gotten accustomed to OGs and Cs who take forever to get second level. Which is probably why McVay is angling for more power/duo in the scheme this year. But Meredith seems like he assists and is on the move second level much quicker than the rest of the guys.

Anchrum will dress game one if he's available. His value coming off the bench is > any value he gives us with the bottom of the depth chart IMO.

Re: Jackson you don't have to worry. The guy held down LT for us very well through preseason playing entire games. He has already won a job Boni. He is not the final roster spot, not even close. It's a supply/demand thing. There are LTs that get drafted high that can't do what Jackson just did, that need a little time to adjust and get their feet or hand technique better. Jackson has a nice blend of just enough strength and feet to nullify the matchups he's been getting. He would of course get eaten by starters but what he's done has won him a roster spot. Cutting him would be a mistake of large proportion.
Jackson sure did rebound from week one vs the renters. I’m curious to see this saturday because even Denver’s backups are good pass rushers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jackson sure did rebound from week one vs the renters. I’m curious to see this saturday because even Denver’s backups are good pass rushers.
Does Rookie Jackson have all the tools to teach him how to do the job correctly & be good at it? It's always the big question for OL'ers like him?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah when I went back and re-watched that first game I was really surprised how well he played. He did make some mistakes and all but played better than I had thought he did.

I was like "well I'll be damned if @oldnotdead isn't on to something." :laugh2::thumbsup1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Does Rookie Jackson have all the tools to teach him how to do the job correctly & be good at it? It's always the big question for OL'ers like him?
The tools and traits thing is something I always rush to look into when wondering if a fringe guy can make it.
First reports I saw of Jackson had his arm length at 32 inches, so I was very skeptical, just based on that. The I read he was at 33+... big difference.
He has all the size and length you'd want, if that 33+ arm length thing is accurate, and he's absolutely athletic enough.
He's one of those players who may benefit from the culture of the NFL and real guidance. Maybe going from wondering if he could be a pro.. to being told that he could have a real future and make some REAL money if he dedicated his life to the craft.
The big diet changes are interesting to track as well... got rid of bad weight by going vegan in college.. the decided he needed a little more weight and reintroduced meat after college. Can't underestimate the difference some of those things can make.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Give me a center or give me death!

I'll give you Jordan Meredith !

LA Rams signing IOL Jordan Meredith may prove very important​

by Bret Stuter3 months ago

The LA Rams are trying to make sense of the offensive center competition on the offensive line right now. There is the favorite, Austin Corbett, who can move from his right guard spot to the center position. Then there is Coleman Shelton, who has some offensive center starter experience and allows the rest of the offensive line to remain intact. And finally, there is Brian Allen, the 2019 starter at the offensive line position, but whom some consider as the weakest of the three.

The only problem is? They are all on the last year of their NFL contract.

So what of 2022? Well, the LA Rams will have another round of looking for money, because making room in 2021 required the team to push salary expense into 2022. That means that that the team will be forced to free up money once more while trying to re-sign over 20 free agents. If you didn’t enjoy the 2020 or 2021 offseason, don’t get your hopes up too high for 2022.

Right now, it appears that the 2022 offseason will have all of the major components that have plagued the Rams offseasons of late: Limited cap space, a significant number of outbound free agents, and a need to re-sign key (upwards of eight or more) starters without the obvious means to do so. How can the LA Rams counter that?

They may already have done so.

The LA Rams have built a solid reputation at finding small school gemstones, and if Western Kentucky’s Jordan Meredith pans out, the Rams are on their way to one more. The good thing is? He has a year to be coached up and develop.

Why is an undrafted free agent offensive lineman even worth mentioning now? Well, the fact is that the LA Rams saw fit to add just three offensive linemen to the roster in 2021, and as an undrafted free agent, Meredith can be carried on the practice squad this season as well.

He is a 6-foot-3 302-pound interior offensive lineman who has had plenty of experience, having started on the offensive line for three straight seasons. According to Pro Football Focus via wkusports.com, Meredith’s performance warranted an 81.5 grade for overall blocking, 83.9 grade for pass-blocking grade, and an 83.9 grade for run blocking. While that’s all well and good for Conference USA, it’s only an indicator of the potential for a successful professional football career.

Per his NFL Draft profile, Meredith has the right mindset and mechanics. He simply needs to mature with strength and conditioning, as well as expand lateral movement in pass protection. Of course, a shift to the offensive center position would help the need for Meredith to develop a quicker lateral response.

Last edited: