Pre-injury surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL

What if the medical community could offer pre-injury surgery like reinforcing the ACL that would make it 10 times less likely to tear?

Would it be moral? It would seem to me that it would become a drafting stat. He's all that and a Pre-Surge. Would it be like steroids, banned so players aren't forced to do it?

OR

Would it be OK with you. Improving the body just like weight training?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wouldn't be a supporter. That would be pushing the extremes of physical preparation.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd say the side effects would probably be severe injury to other connective tissue when the "weak link" was supposed to give way and didn't.
That said if medical tests could predict ,and eventually I believe they will, extremely likely injury, preventative surgery IMO is not an if but a when.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am guessing that there are preventative medical measures to help avoid sports injuries. One is O linemen wearing braces on their knees. Another could be supplements that could strengthen the ligaments maybe? Any such thing? Glucosamine and condroitin maybe?

If not I need to set up my lab and concoct something.....and get Rich!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am guessing that there are preventative medical measures to help avoid sports injuries. One is O linemen wearing braces on their knees. Another could be supplements that could strengthen the ligaments maybe? Any such thing? Glucosamine and condroitin maybe?

If not I need to set up my lab and concoct something.....and get Rich!
Whatcha gonna get me?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I say if you have the money, go ahead and do it. If it prolongs your career and makes your durability better.

This would be along the same lines as Angelina Jolie having a Mastectomy before she even had breast cancer. Not quite to that extreme, but I hope you get the idea.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Laser surgery on your eyes can give you better than 20/20 vision now... I've read about baseball players getting the surgery even though they already had perfect vision. I think it's perfectly acceptable.

Who knows what medical procedures are on the horizon, but if it helps an athlete in his profession, I don't see anything wrong with him maximizing his chances.

I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I'm fine with athletes using performance enhancing drugs too. Especially if they were monitored by medical professionals instead of sleazy backroom drug dealers who only care about making sure the guy is able to pass his drug test.

iced

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL

What if the medical community could offer pre-injury surgery like reinforcing the ACL that would make it 10 times less likely to tear?

Would it be moral? It would seem to me that it would become a drafting stat. He's all that and a Pre-Surge. Would it be like steroids, banned so players aren't forced to do it?

OR

Would it be OK with you. Improving the body just like weight training?

I would tell you that almost every surgeon that i've spoken too (and trust me that's a lot from the military) that they all say to avoid surgery at any and all cost... "any time you go under its never going to be as strong as it was without surgery"

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If there was such a surgery that was actually beneficial pre injury, I would honestly hope the NFL would ban it. In a highly competitive environment like the League, if any kind of advantage is legal, then everyone is going to start doing it, because you'd putting yourself at a disadvantage not to.

Wearing braces or whatnot, that I'm fine with. Actual surgery to enhance performance in any way... that could end up leading to lots of unpleasant things, even if we keep science fiction out of it.

iced

If there was such a surgery that was actually beneficial pre injury, I would honestly hope the NFL would ban it. In a highly competitive environment like the League, if any kind of advantage is legal, then everyone is going to start doing it, because you'd putting yourself at a disadvantage not to.

Wearing braces or whatnot, that I'm fine with. Actual surgery to enhance performance in any way... that could end up leading to lots of unpleasant things, even if we keep science fiction out of it.

before ya know it'd be a league of Megamans vs Robocops

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Laser surgery on your eyes can give you better than 20/20 vision now... I've read about baseball players getting the surgery even though they already had perfect vision. I think it's perfectly acceptable.

Who knows what medical procedures are on the horizon, but if it helps an athlete in his profession, I don't see anything wrong with him maximizing his chances.

I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I'm fine with athletes using performance enhancing drugs too. Especially if they were monitored by medical professionals instead of sleazy backroom drug dealers who only care about making sure the guy is able to pass his drug test.

The problem with that is Docs wouldn't ever allow a patient to take the massive doses of HGH and other stuff that athletes take to gain the edge. They take WAY more than a Doc would give a patient, way more than what is considered "safe".

Did you ever read the article about the Steelers Doc that quietly disappeared after being nailed with enough HGH to treat half the city? Eventually the feds indicted him for illegally doling the stuff out. Goodle Dr. Richard Rydze.......the dude was moving a ton of the stuff.......and testosterone too. Of course he never gave any to Steelers players.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
To add a serious take to this hypothetical question. When you tear a ligament (binds bone to bone) or tendon (binds muscle to bone) the rehab is very focused on strengthening the surrounding muscles to create stability and support around the reconstructed area. Strengthening the surrounding muscles in vulnerable areas is the only way to help combat this sort of damage, I know this was more of a what if but wanted to share. EX: A piece of the patella tendon (knee) or Achilles tendon is often used in repair of the ACL these tendons are different sizes. Once they are surgically used to repair the ACL after some time they will conform or transition to the necessary size needed for that application. So the body knows what it needs in an normal situation and tears come from abnormal situations leaving strengthening of your areas surrounding your vulnerable spots as the only real alternative.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Surgery is not how I would envision such preventive measures. You don't want to cut into healthy tissue, not even to forestall some impending major injury. On the other hand, if drug companies were to develop certain balms or creams that could strengthen major joints of the athlete (clinically proven of course), I don't see why such a thing should be banned from widespread use, so long as it is distributed and maintained by medical professionals.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd say the side effects would probably be severe injury to other connective tissue when the "weak link" was supposed to give way and didn't.
That said if medical tests could predict ,and eventually I believe they will, extremely likely injury, preventative surgery IMO is not an if but a when.
This is exactly what would happen.

fearsomefour

Legend
Like I have always said the most blatant and accepted practice like this is laser surgery to correct vision.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Crossing a very dangerous line. I can see kids out of high school who have obvious natural ability being approached by corporations that would "megatron" said atheletes for future endorsement considerations. NFL teams would be asking kids out of college if they have had their ACLs bullet-proofed yet. You probably wouldn't get paid as much in the NFL if you hadn't armored your critical joints yet. It would probably be a snowball on its way to hell.

TexRamFan

Rookie
After working for years in the strength and conditioning field at all levels (pro, collegiate, and high school) I can say this would be an awful thing for sports. Of the many reasons one of the horrible things I could see happening is those super competitive parents opting for "pre-surgery" for young kids. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
After working for years in the strength and conditioning field at all levels (pro, collegiate, and high school) I can say this would be an awful thing for sports. Of the many reasons one of the horrible things I could see happening is those super competitive parents opting for "pre-surgery" for young kids. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.
I know exactly the type of you speak. I coached little-league baseball for a decade and I can assure you there are parents out there that would get their "prima-donnas" Tommy Johns surgery if they thought it would let them throw 100 pitches three times a week.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that if there was a way to say set a baseline for what a normal ACL should look like and if yours was below the normal and you could have a procedure to bring it up to normal standards then yeah why not. Could help those with the talent but weak bloodlines, like some a couple WR that have passed thru the Rams. There are some blessed with a bloodline that others are not.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah I believe that. I have over heard parents of high school pitchers saying they hoped their son would blow their elbow because pitchers "come back better" after Tommy John surgery. The notion is absurd on its face, but, that mentality does exist out there.