Practice Report: Thomas Returns, Offense Eager to Put More Points on Board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They play SEA, then JAX then AZ then a bye week then NYG.

That's not that difficult.

I agree with the way Arizona and the Giants look. We gotta get that W against Seattle, but if we do, it's possible we could be looking at 7-1. We can't look past anyone, but the three teams after Seattle are very beatable.

jap

Legend
This Seattle game will be the first real statement game---not last week's game in Dallas. If the offense had really matured by last week, we would have blown out Dallas completely.

Seattle is doing so much understated smack talking, I want the Horns to lower the boom on their LOB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The article, dated Sept 19, says Peterson was waived for Hill.

As a college 1%'er, I should get it right at least 1 out of 100 tries. I'm still looking, but have to believe until proven different that it was Neary who got bumped, so i'm not done F'ing this up yet. :help:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Where will thomas fit on offense? I know he is a big play guy and mcvay must of seen something in camp to keep him on the team. This wr depth is ridiculous!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Where will thomas fit on offense? I know he is a big play guy and mcvay must of seen something in camp to keep him on the team. This wr depth is ridiculous!
Actually one of the things McVay always mentions is Thomas's special teams play so it's a Fassel thing.

That might him saved him but he's going to have to also be able to play wide receiver competently as well as special teams if he wants to be a game-day active.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
ORG Jamon Brown has a grommet issue ....hope he can be fully ready. JB has a outstanding game in Dallas last Sunday he is improving week by week. Not sure who our back up RG is today ? Is it Austin Blythe or Andrew Donnal?

LJ injury has open the gate on Rookie John Johnson III. It was JJ's tackle on RB Elliott very late in the gm. that sealed the game for the Rams in Dallas. (y)I was thinking that we would see more of second year safeties Marqui Christian or Blake Countess when Wade went to prevent but we now have seen where JJ has past them both on the depth chart.

Not sure that rookie safety JJ will be denied the playing field much longer. Safety Mo Alexander might hear some footsteps coming up on his sorry playing back. I saw some excellent tackles from JJ as of late & seen none of that from Mo Alexander. Mo is still trying to find TE Hanna on that TD pass that gave the Cowboys the lead in the 2nd half. That TE was M0's & he was a good 20 yds away from that TE when he caught the ball. It's been a long time since we have seen such nasty play :poop: coming from our starting strong safety. I am fully ready for the benching of MO & ready to see JJ the 3rd starting.

JJ & LJ might make a excellent starting safety duo this season.;) I would imagine that marqui Christian treading on very thin ice here after that stupid block in the back with under 2 minutes remaining in the game ( big penalty) . I would release him today in place of Thomas myself.

I like JJ...and think he definitely needs to continue getting time... but I'm not sure he supplants Mo at Strong Safety... I look at JJ as being a better FS ...and right now with LJ out..I'd like to see him get some time from Cody Davis

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a college 1%'er, I should get it right at least 1 out of 100 tries. I'm still looking, but have to believe until proven different that it was Neary who got bumped, so i'm not done F'ing this up yet. :help:
Nearly was cut on sep 16 and put on practice squad. I don’t think they’ve had to cut anyone yet

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Actually one of the things McVay always mentions is Thomas's special teams play so it's a Fassel thing.

That might him saved him but he's going to have to also be able to play wide receiver competently as well as special teams if he wants to be a game-day active.

Teams definitely are a large part of the equation. He's not just good as a gunner, I think he's probably one of the best in the league, or was last year at least.

Now the WR snaps will be what is interesting to look at come game time. Can't imagine who they'll take from to get him looks, if they do. He'll probably have zero tomorrow, barring injury.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teams definitely are a large part of the equation. He's not just good as a gunner, I think he's probably one of the best in the league, or was last year at least.

Now the WR snaps will be what is interesting to look at come game time. Can't imagine who they'll take from to get him looks, if they do. He'll probably have zero tomorrow, barring injury.

Agreed that Thomas is one of the best gunners in the NFL. He might see offensive snaps if he's active, though, becaue he can get vertical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking over the NFL Transactions list, I don't think we've taken Thomas off the Exempt list yet.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Looking over the NFL Transactions list, I don't think we've taken Thomas off the Exempt list yet.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-mike-thomas-roster-wide-receiver-suspension/

Found this dated Oct 3, but it doesn't mean paperwork has gone thru yet :

By: Cameron DaSilva | October 3, 2017 8:50 am ET

Through four weeks, the Los Angeles Rams have five players with at least 100 yards receiving. They’re deep at wideout with Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Tavon Austin, but they’re about to add yet another playmaker.

Sean McVay confirmed on Monday that the Rams will add Mike Thomas to the active roster this week after serving his four-game suspension. They’ll need to make room for him by releasing a player, but it won’t be a wide receiver.

NFL Week 5 power rankings: Rams make small jump into top 10

We’ll keep seven receivers. Those six we have a lot of confidence in. We’re going to keep seven, we’re going to get Mike up,” McVay said during his press conference. “How we handle what that does to that spot that he’ll take place with is something that we’re going through those discussions right now.”

The Rams have a few days to make a move, but McVay said the coaching staff has been discussing the topic for several weeks.

usatsi_9513782.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Thomas has the potential to be a real big-play weapon in the Rams’ offense. Outside of Tavon Austin, he’s probably the team’s fastest player regardless of position. Speed is something every team needs, but with the way the Rams are pushing the ball downfield, his value is even higher.

“Mike’s got a lot of value,” McVay said. “He’s got speed [and] I think he will continue to improve with the nuances of playing the position. But he’s also a big asset to ‘Bones’ [special team’s coordinator John Fassel] and the special teams. So how that affects the 46 on game day is something that we’re going to monitor as the week progresses, but Mike’s a guy that we’re glad to get back.”

He caught just three passes as a rookie last season, though he did contribute on special teams.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The poster who guessed that Mo Alexander was going to be cut was the correct one on who gives up his roster spot for Thomas.

Wait ....what? :D