Practice Report 9/16: Mason's Back in Business/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/16: Mason's Back in Business

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Report-916-Masons-Back-in-Business/476fa2a1-eb10-4015-b3d9-8310af5e777d

While the Rams won their Week 1 contest, they did so without starting running back Tre Mason. Head coach Jeff Fisher said the Auburn product had a good workout prior to kickoff, bit it wasn’t worth further risking Mason’s health to play him.

“I wasn’t 100 percent -- I’m not going to lie -- but I was pretty close,” Mason said on Wednesday. “I felt like it was a smart decision to sit out so I don’t miss more time.”

Even though it may have been the best choice for the future, Mason said it didn’t necessarily feel great in the moment.

“I think that was my first game that I’ve ever missed [due to injury] in my career and so that really hurt me,” Mason said. “But I’m glad we came out victorious as a team, and we are looking forward to next week.”

Now Mason has been back on the practice field and he’s feeling healthy. On Wednesday’s injury report, Mason was listed as a full participant in the session.

“I’m out there watching over it and making sure I don’t redo it,” Mason said of his hamstring. “But right now I feel good and ready to roll.”

And for Mason, waiting to play has made a difference. The running back said it’s especially important in a sport like football to take all the time you can in order to recovery from an injury.

Given that, Mason said he’s been spending plenty of time in the cold tub. He likend the way he maintains his body to the way one would maintain an expensive Italian sports car.

“I treat my body like a Lamborghini,” Mason said with a smile. “I feel like if I’m at a race, as soon as the race is over you have to go right back into the pit stop.

“I’m tuning up the engine right now -- get a good oil change, new tires, put a little nitrous in there,” he continued with a laugh.

Mason’s imminent return will help restore the depth at his position group. And with talented players like Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, and Todd Gurley, there’s some friendly competition within the room. But Mason said the players all know each strong performance benefits the team.

“We look at each other like brothers. If everyone is doing well then that means we’re doing well as a team and as a unit,” Mason said. “We’re pretty confident in whoever’s back there.”

So far this week, Fisher has yet to rule out Gurley for Sunday’s contest and Mason said he’s looking forward to seeing what the rookie can do.

“He’s going to be a big help,” Mason said.

And Mason can’t wait to be contributing on the field himself once again.

“My main thing is I just feel like I want to be a playmaker,” Mason said. “I feel like I am and when the ball is in my hands, I just try to make something happen -- make something positive for this team happen.”

PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald and wide receiver Tavon Austin accomplished a first for the franchise as they were both named an NFC Player of the Week. Donald was Defensive Player of the Week for his 2.0-sack performance against Seattle -- in which he also tallied three tackles for loss, according to the press box stats. Austin was named Special Teams Player of the Week for his 75-yard punt return touchdown.

Prior to Wednesday, no two Rams had ever been named Player of the Week for their performances in the same game.

“They’re both very deserving of it, in my opinion,” Fisher said. “I thought Aaron played as good a game since he’s been here. Then Tavon’s return was one of the difference makers in the game. So it was good to get some attention from the league.”

While it’s Donald’s first Player of the Week honor, it’s Austin’s third. He most recently won the award for his performance at Washington last year on Dec. 7, in which he tallied 143 punt return yards -- including a 78-yard touchdown.

“It means a lot to me,” Austin said. “For me, it means a lot more for my team. My punt return team does an excellent job. My hat goes off to them. If it weren’t for them, there wouldn’t be all of this, so I give all my praise to them every single day. I did make the play but at the end of the day, if it weren’t for them it wouldn’t happen.”

Austin said those kinds of returns result from strong work during the practice week.

“We finish all the way to the end zone at practice, and to see it happen on Sundays -- it just makes us feel good that all the hard work we’re put in is really paying off,” Austin said.

As for Donald, it seems like this could be the first of many Player of the Week awards. Fisher said the defensive tackle’s ability to play every situation makes him so effective.

“He’s got that art of penetration where he can be very disruptive, both in the passing game and the run game,” Fisher said.

STOPPING BY FOR A VISIT

Former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil and general manager Charley Armey both stopped by Rams Park to visit practice on Wednesday.

“When Coach comes into town, he always makes a point to stop by and say hi,” Fisher said. “He’s welcome here all the time. It’s good to get caught up with him.”

Our own Dani Klupenger got a chance to catch up with both Vermeil and Armey, and you can watch their one-on-ones in the videos below.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams update: RBs Mason, Cunningham, Gurley all see time with starters
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_eb679ed1-b430-586f-a80e-ab9b8afc583e.html

The Rams running backs are getting healthy.

On Wednesday at Rams Park, the team's top three backs _ Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Todd Gurley _ all went through full workouts and saw time with the starting offense.

Gurley, the tenth overall pick in last spring's NFL draft, got in more work with the starters Wednesday and remains on track to see his first game action soon. Gurley, a star from the University of Georgia, is coming off ACL surgery in November.

Mason, a second-year pro who led the Rams in rushing a year ago with 765 yards, also missed the season-opening overtime win over Seattle after suffering a strained hamstring during the preseason. Mason, who turned in a good pre-game workout on Sunday, appears to be ready to go for Sunday's road game against the Redskins.

With Mason and Gurley out, Cunningham stepped up with a solid effort against the Seahawks, rushing 16 times for 45 yards and hauling in four passes for 77 yards.

The other injured starter, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who picked off a pass and later suffered a concussion on Sunday, still must get medical clearance to play on Sunday, but coach Jeff Fisher said the fact that he practiced on Wednesday was a good sign.

The Wednesday injury report listed Johnson as limited, with Mason (hamstring), Gurley (knee) and linebacker Daren Bates (knee) as full participants. Running back Chase Reynolds (knee) and defensive end Eugene Sims (knee) did not practice.

VIPS ON HAND

Former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil and ex-general manager Charley Armey stopped by to watch part of Wednesday's practice after visiting with Fisher earlier in the afternoon.

Vermeil, who's in the wine business, sent Fisher three bottles prior to the season opener to wish him good luck this season.

Armey was Rams GM from 2000-2005.

fearsomefour

Legend
The press talks a lot about Chancellor not being there for the Rams win over Seattle. That is a big piece of the D not on the field. However, the Rams were down to their 3rd running back, one of our top WRs was not active and we lost a CB in our already thin group of corners.
I am feeling better about this win every day. The Rams O line should continue to grow together and improve, Mason is back, Quick and Gurley should not be far behind. Roberson shows his stuff playing a very good game at CB.....I am, dare I say it......
OPTIMISTIC....not my natural state of mind.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The press talks a lot about Chancellor not being there for the Rams win over Seattle. That is a big piece of the D not on the field. However, the Rams were down to their 3rd running back, one of our top WRs was not active and we lost a CB in our already thin group of corners.
I am feeling better about this win every day. The Rams O line should continue to grow together and improve, Mason is back, Quick and Gurley should not be far behind. Roberson shows his stuff playing a very good game at CB.....I am, dare I say it......
OPTIMISTIC....not my natural state of mind.

Yep, total bullshit. The press talks like it wasn't an even playing field because of Cam's holdout, while totally ignoring our MIA's. Having to play without Mason alone cancels out Cam. Add Gurley and EJ and they need to be down two more Cam's to square it up.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Roberson steps in — then steps up
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_119a2997-aa62-5a53-86d5-94faa4def8ea.html

Midway through the second quarter of the Rams-Seahawks game Sunday, Trumaine Johnson stepped in front of Marshawn Lynch for the Rams’ first interception of the season.

On the next Seattle drive, Johnson left the game because of a concussion. And second-year pro Marcus Roberson stepped up.

“All week, you prepare like you’re the starter so when something like that happens, you’re prepared. It’s next man up,” said Roberson, a cornerback who finished with five tackles and one pass defended as the Rams won in overtime. “I felt like I did OK, did my job. But in any game, there are always things you can clean up.”

Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent following a solid career at the University of Florida, Roberson played in nine games and made midseason starts against Kansas City and San Francisco a year ago. He finished with 12 total tackles and recorded his first NFL interception in the regular-season finale at Seattle.

“The experience from last year definitely helps,” he said.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Roberson was prepared.

“I thought Marcus did a nice job when he came in,” Fisher said. “Made some plays, made some tackles, knew what to do.’’

Fisher continued: “He understands the system, he’s got ball skills, he’ll tackle.... He pays attention and he knows that he’s a snap away from going in.”

The Rams also received a strong effort from second-year pro Lamarcus Joyner at the nickel spot. The second-round draft pick from Florida State had six tackles and recorded a sack against Seattle.

“According to my coaches and teammates, I played well,” Joyner said. “Very sloppy in tackling, but that’s something that can be fixed. I have a better understanding of the scheme (this year). Football is fun (and) life is good when you know what you’re doing.”

Joyner, 24, was shaken up early in the fourth quarter but returned a couple of plays later.

“Playin’ with the big boys in the box, you know,” Joyner said. “But I was able to shake it off and got right back out there.”

In his fourth pro season, free safety Rodney McLeod likes what he’s seen of Roberson and Joyner.

“The young guys, they did a great job,” he said. “Made a lot of plays on defense and on special teams.’’

DONALD, AUSTIN HONORED

A pair of Rams, defensive tackle Aaron Donald and receiver/punt returner Tavon Austin, are NFC players of the week.

Donald, the reigning NFL defensive rookie of the year, was named defensive player of the week after posting a career-best 11 tackles, two sacks and two tackles for loss. He teamed with two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn to stuff Lynch on a fourth-and-1 to end the Rams’ emotion-filled 34-31 win.

Austin, a first-round draft pick in 2013, won the NFC special teams player of the week honor after returning a punt 75 yards for a TD late in the third quarter that helped the Rams go up 24-13.

Austin, who scored the Rams’ first TD of the season on a 16-yard run early in the second quarter, is the first player in league history to have a punt return touchdown of 75-plus yards in each of his first three NFL seasons.

It’s the first player of the week award for Donald, a 2014 Pro Bowl selection. It’s the third special teams player of the week award in as many seasons for Austin.

“I was told it’s the first time in the franchise history that we’ve had two guys in the same week get player of the week,” Fisher said. “They’re both very deserving.’’

RAM-BLINGS

All three of the team’s main running backs — Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Todd Gurley — went through full workouts with starting reps on Wednesday.Gurley, the 10th player picked in this past spring’s NFL draft, remains on track to get his first game action soon after working his way back from knee surgery that he had last November.

Mason, a second-year pro who led the Rams in rushing a year ago with 765 yards, also missed the Seattle game after suffering a strained hamstring during the preseason.

With Mason and Gurley out, Cunningham stepped up with a solid effort, rushing 16 times for 45 yards and hauling in four passes for 77 yards.

“Benny did a nice job last week for us filling in. He made a lot of plays: protection, passing game and run game against a good defense,” Fisher said. “Todd was working with the offense today and Tre had a full practice. So it’s good to see them both in there.”

Johnson (concussion) was limited Wednesday, but Mason (hamstring), Gurley (knee) and linebacker Daren Bates (knee) all practiced. Out with knee injuries, defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Chase Reynolds sat out Wednesday’s workout.

For Washington, WR DeSean Jackson (hamstring), DT Terrance Knighton (rib), CB Justin Rogers (foot) and linebacker Martrell Spaight (concussion) did not practice on Wednesday, with T Tom Compton (calf), CB DeAngelo Hall (rib), C Kory Lichtensteiger (finger), and T Trent Williams (ankle) limited. LB Jackson Jeffcoat (thigh) was a full participant in Wednesday’s workout.

• Former Rams coach Dick Vermeil and general manager Charley Armey stopped by to watch Wednesday’s practice after visiting with Fisher earlier in the afternoon.

“When ‘Coach’ comes into town, he always makes a point to stop by,” Fisher said. “He’s welcome here anytime; it’s good to get caught up with him.’’

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm starting to get excited about the next game.

Hurry up and arrive game time.

RamBill

Legend
Tavon Austin: Coach Cig Doing A Good Job Putting Me In Different Spots

Wide receiver Tavon Austin talks about winning his third NFC Special Teams Player of the Week award.

Watch Austin's Presser

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I'm starting to get excited about the next game.

Hurry up and arrive game time.

YAH! Isn't it Fun feeling like this^!!(y):D Man I'm pumped up after listening to these^ interviews!!

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Jeezums... if Trent Williams is hobbled, Robert Quinn gon' have a day. And if their center is hobbled... Aaron Donald is about to occur.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All three of the team’s main running backs — Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Todd Gurley — went through full workouts with starting reps on Wednesday.Gurley, the 10th player picked in this past spring’s NFL draft, remains on track to get his first game action soon after working his way back from knee surgery that he had last November.

Mason, a second-year pro who led the Rams in rushing a year ago with 765 yards, also missed the Seattle game after suffering a strained hamstring during the preseason.

With Mason and Gurley out, Cunningham stepped up with a solid effort, rushing 16 times for 45 yards and hauling in four passes for 77 yards.

“Benny did a nice job last week for us filling in. He made a lot of plays: protection, passing game and run game against a good defense,” Fisher said. “Todd was working with the offense today and Tre had a full practice. So it’s good to see them both in there.”
So wait, I. Pead won't get a chance at redemption?