Practice Report 12/30: Offense Improving with Boras, Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/30: Offense Improving with Boras, Keenum

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1230-Offense-Improving-with-Boras-Keenum/c5fd0504-88d1-4775-9e10-27ee1066220f

NAPA, Calif. -- With the team staying on the West Coast to eliminate a few hours of travel, the Rams got back on the practice field Wednesday afternoon in preparation for the 49ers. Coming off Sunday’s victory, spirits have been up as the team looks to finish the season at .500.

“This has been really good,” head coach Jeff Fisher said of practicing in Napa, Calif. “We’ve cut way back on the travel time and we’ve got great accommodations. Meeting spaces are good, game plan is in. We had a really good Wednesday.”

Rob Boras, now entering his fourth game as the offensive playcaller, likened the experience to preparing for a college bowl game.

“It’s great being here. The guys have bought into it,” Boras said. “We’ve kind of talked about it as our bowl trip, and the guys are all in their sweats just like when you’re in college going to bowl games.

“The energy and enthusiasm has been great in the meetings,” Boras continued, “and then for them to come out here and have a practice like they did, I thought, was really good.”

Boras’ unit has performed well enough to win over the past three weeks, particularly with clean performances. The Rams have not turned the ball over in their last two games. Plus, St. Louis had no pre-snap penalties or sacks against Seattle, illustrating strong growth with the offensive line.

“As an assistant coach, I always want to credit the guys. And [OL coach Paul] Boudreau and [assistant OL coach Andy] Dickerson have done a great job,” Boras said. “To go in that environment, that was kind of our focus as an entire offensive staff, was just playing with poise in the noise. And the guys did it.”

“Actually, I didn’t get touched that much,” quarterback Case Keenum said. “It’s incredible. You’ve got to hand it to those guys. That’s a tough environment to play, tough environment to hear. For those tackles to be able to sit in there and not [false start], and still be able to block those guys coming around the edge, you’ve got to give those guys a ton of credit. It was an outstanding performance from them. And they’re coming together really well.”

Since re-entering the starting lineup, Keenum has completed 67.7 percent of his passes for 461 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

“I think just the process that he’s going through now, it’s completions,” Boras said. “He’s a natural leader. Guys like playing for him. He’s got a grasp of what we’re trying to do. I think just continuing along that same path -- it’s not going to change. I don’t see the formula for us changing a whole lot.”

“When we decided to go with Case, which was the Baltimore game, we were a play away in regulation from winning that game,” Fisher said. “He’s technically 3-1 as a starter -- very close to being 4-0 as a starter. I’d say he’s done a really good job for us.”

Keenum is up to 7.44 yards per attempt in the three-game winning streak as well. With his recent performances, it’s clear the timing has been strong between he and his wideouts.

“During preseason, you kind of rep with everybody,” Keenum said. “I’ve thrown to these guys a bunch. But it’s coming together. We’re getting used to the plays Rob likes to call, and kind of getting where everybody’s on the same page with that. And just executing.”

Keenum and Kenny Britt have shown a strong rapport on deep balls in particular over the past two games. On Sunday, Keenum threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to the wideout, which Britt brought in with a dive.

“It’s easy to build a rapport with a guy who makes plays, and he’s made some big plays the last few weeks,” Keenum said. “It’s been a lot of fun to throw to guys who get open. You tend to look their way a little bit more. And he’s been running great routes and getting open. I think it’s just happened, it’s been on the right play at the right time, in the right coverage. He’s taken advantage of it.”

These four games represent an audition of sorts for Keenum, not just for the Rams, but also for the 32 teams around the league. Even so, Keenum says that’s the way it is for not just him, but everyone who plays.

“Anytime the lights come on, or anytime we step on the field between the white lines and the film’s on, that film goes around to everybody,” Keenum said. “And it’s not just the TV copy -- they see everything from a lot of different views. So in the NFL, that’s what your resume is -- what you put on tape.”

The same situation could possibly be said about Boras. Since assuming the duties of offensive coordinator a few weeks ago, Boras said he hasn’t necessarily received notification as to whether or not the role will be permanent. And he’s OK with that.

“I’m a tight ends coach who’s getting to call some plays right now,” Boras said. “We can only control what we can control. Right now, this is what coach [Fisher] has asked us to do, and we’re doing it, and we’re having fun doing it. Whatever happens, happens.”

“Right now, he’s running the offense and he’s 3-0 since he took it over,” Fisher said, adding he’s staying focused on the present, too. “It’s a good thing.”

OGLETREE RETURNS TO THE FIELD

No. 52 was a welcome sight on the practice field Wednesday afternoon, as linebacker Alec Ogletree did some work on the side as he progresses in his rehab from a lower-leg fracture.

“It’s good to get him back on the grass,” Fisher said. “We’ll see how he feels tomorrow and try to get him involved in more than just walk-thru stuff. Maybe some scout-team stuff.”

Ogletree was placed on injured reserve with a designation to return, though the team figured it wasn’t necessarily likely the linebacker would play once again in 2015. Fisher confirmed that train of thought on Wednesday.

“From a timing standpoint, he’s ready to start doing things on the grass,” Fisher said. “He’s been straight-line running for a week or so, and we wanted to introduce some change-of-direction him. So no better place to introduce change of direction than on the field with his teammates.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams listed eight players on Wednesday’s injury report.

For the three players in the concussion protocol, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and safety Mark Barron did not practice. But defensive end Ethan Westbrooks did participate on a limited basis.

“[Westbrooks] was limited today, which was good,” Fisher said. “Overall, I would think the concussion issues which we had should be behind us before the weekend.”

Todd Gurley sat out Wednesday’s session with a foot injury, for which Fisher said the running back was receiving treatment during practice. Defensive tackle Doug Worthington (thigh) also did not participate.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers (thigh), cornerback Eric Patterson (ankle), and offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) were all limited in Wednesday’s session.

=============

Boras taking nothing for granted in new duties

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_22c67d5b-f8d3-5bb4-9ca5-a80bfa488d01.html

NAPA, CALIF. • It may seem that Rob Boras is getting more comfortable as each game — and each victory — goes by. But the Rams’ new offensive coordinator says he’s far from relaxed in his new duties.

“I mean, it’s a day-to-day world,” Boras said. “That’s just kind of the way I’m wired a little bit. I mean, it’s getting maybe a little easier because the entire offensive staff and the players have stepped up, but it’s still pretty nerve-wracking.”

Boras had held the dual title of assistant head coach/offense and tight ends coach until Dec. 7, when coach Jeff Fisher fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and replaced him with Boras.

Boras also is taking nothing for granted as far as the offensive coordinator post growing into a permanent position for him with the Rams.

“I’m a tight ends coach that’s getting to call some plays right now,” Boras said. “We’re just going about it as if that’s what it is. We can only control what we can control and right now, this is what Coach (Fisher) has asked us to do and we’re doing it and having fun doing it. Whatever happens, happens.”

The Rams are 3-0 since Boras took the reins of the offense, with victories over Detroit, Tampa Bay and, most notably, Seattle. It’s not as if the Rams have been lighting up scoreboards under Boras, but the offense certainly has been more efficient and less mistake-prone since he took over. And of course there’s no substitute for success.

When asked if he’s being judged differently now that he’s calling plays, Boras said: “I haven’t really thought about it that way. It’s just the accountability of it all. You just feel like there’s a lot of people in the entire organization kind of depending on you.

“You probably shouldn’t look at it that way, but you don’t want to disappoint anybody and you want to have success.”

When told that Boras doesn’t feel like he’s auditioning for the job, Fisher replied: “Then I don’t. either. Right now, he’s running the offense and he’s 3-0 since he took over, so it’s a good thing.”
INJURY UPDATE

Of the three Rams players who didn’t finish the Seattle game after being checked for concussion symptoms, defensive end Ethan Westbrooks returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday. Linebacker-safety Mark Barron and defensive tackle Nick Fairley did not practice, but Fisher expects all three to be available against the 49ers.

“They’re all getting better,” Fisher said. “They’re all passing their tests. ... Overall, I would think that the concussion issues that we had should all be behind us before the week is over.”

A new addition to the injury report was running back Todd Gurley, who was listed with a foot injury and did not practice Wednesday. Fisher wasn’t as definitive on Gurley’s status for San Francisco.

“We left him back at the hotel,” Fisher said. “He’s getting some treatment on his foot and we’ll see where he is.”

The rest of the injury report was as follows: defensive tackle Doug Worthington (thigh) did not practice. Listed as limited were defensive tackle Michael Brockers (thigh), cornerback Eric Patterson (ankle) and guard-tackle Andrew Donnal (knee).

In addition, linebacker Alec Ogletree (leg) did some work on the side and may do some scout team work Thursday. But Fisher said it’s “very unlikely” Ogletree plays against San Francisco. Ogletree has been sidelined since suffering the injury Oct. 4 in Arizona.
RAM-BLINGS

As a result of his clutch fourth-quarter touchdown run against Seattle, Gurley has been nominated for the NFL’s Castrol Edge Clutch Performer of the week. Fans can vote for Gurley or any of this week’s other nominees at http://www.nfl.com/castrol-edge.

• Addie Morris of Columbia, Mo., and Quinn Zerjal of Fairview Heights will represent the Rams in Saturday’s NFL Punt, Pass, and Kick national championships in Indianapolis.

• Even though it’s a game featuring two NFC teams, Sunday’s Rams-49ers game will be televised by CBS (KMOV, Channel 4) in St. Louis. Tom McCarthy has the play-by-play duties, with former Rams safety Adam Archuleta serving as analyst.

• A pair of former Rams draft picks were signed to practice squads Wednesday: running back Daryl Richardson by Cleveland and cornerback Brandon McGee by Dallas.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Big play' Britt breathing life into Rams' passing game
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_861ee92b-f9dc-52c3-aacc-decaff8c04e8.html

NAPA, CALIF. • What at times has been a quiet season for wide receiver Kenny Britt has come to life lately with Case Keenum at quarterback for the Rams.

In the Rams’ Thursday night game Dec. 17 against Tampa Bay, Britt caught a 60-yard pass for a touchdown, giving the Rams a 14-3 lead in the first quarter.

This past Sunday in Seattle, Britt caught a 28-yard TD in the second quarter, giving the Rams a 16-0 lead and forcing the Seahawks to play catch-up the rest of the way.

What made the Seattle TD even more rewarding is the fact that Britt beat Richard Sherman, widely regarded as one of the league’s top cornersbacks, on the play.

“People talk about him all the time,” Britt said. “People put him up there as one of the top people in the league. So yeah, I guess so.”

Sherman was playing press coverage on the play, which is usually how the Seahawks play it in their highly regarded secondary. But Britt beat Sherman off the line with a double-move, streaking down the right sideline.

“Case (Keenum) did a great job just getting the ball out there,” Britt said.

There was a little more to the play than that, however, because Britt had to dive to make the catch and thus risked banging an already injured shoulder on his landing.

“It’s been the third or fourth week of my AC (joint),” Britt said. “It’s been sprained, and I just keep hitting it, aggravating it over and over and over again.”

The AC joint is where the collarbone meets the highest point of the shoulder blade.

“Shoulder’s been sore, but he pushes through it,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He takes care of himself during the week. He practices hard.

“It was a great play call. We had good protection and Case made a great throw — put the ball in the only place you can possibly put it — on one of the best corners in the league. Case has a good feel for him. Case can throw the deep ball, and Kenny can go get it.”

Passing touchdowns have been few and far between for the Rams’ 32nd-ranked passing game this season, so any scoring connection is cause for celebration. The Rams have completed a league-low 11 TD passes — only seven other teams in the league have fewer than 20.

So the quick chemistry between Keenum and Britt is duly noted.

“It’s real big,” Britt said. “We’ve been doing an excellent job on the practice field, taking the time before practice and after practice to make sure that we’re on the same page.”

Because the backup quarterback rarely throws to the starting wide receivers once the regular season starts, it’s not as if Keenum and Britt have had a lot of time to build chemistry. The Seattle game marked only Keenum’s fourth start this season for the 7-8 Rams.

“It’s always interesting to kind of watch how the rapport gets built in these relationships,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “As a play-caller, you want the guys to get open, and they’ve gotten open.

“Case has put the ball on point. I don’t know if it’s any different when he’s throwing to Jared Cook or to ‘Tave’ (Tavon Austin). But they’ve hit a couple of big plays for us, which have been critical, in critical times.”

It’s interesting that Fisher took note of the play-call on the TD in Seattle, a call that says something about Boras as a play-caller. After forcing Seattle to punt deep in its territory, the Rams took over at the Seattle 28 following a 21-yard punt return by Austin.

Boras went right after Seattle on the next play, dialing up the deep ball to Britt.

“You can just tell the coaches believe in our receivers, believe in our guys, and they let Keenum go out there and sling it,” Britt said.

As far as Keenum is concerned, there’s nothing mystical about developing chemistry with any pass-catcher.

“It’s easy to build rapport with a guy who makes plays,” Keenum said. “And Kenny’s made some big plays the last few weeks. It’s been a lot of fun to throw to guys who get open. You tend to look their way a little more.

“And he’s been running great routes and getting open. I think it’s just happened that it’s been the right play at the right time in the right coverage. And he’s taken advantage of it.”

Although one wouldn’t classify Britt as a speedster, he has always shown an ability to make plays down the field. He finished 10th in the NFL in yards per catch (15.6) in 2014, his first season with the Rams.

This season, Britt ranks third in that category, averaging 18.2 yards a catch. He has accounted for a team-high eight of the Rams’ 22 receptions of 25 yards or more.

And unless Cook has a monster day in Sunday’s season finale in San Francisco, Britt will become the first Ram to lead the team in reception yards in back-to-back seasons since Torry “Big Game” Holt did so in 2007 and ‘08.

Even so, Britt’s numbers this season are hardly earth-shattering. He has 33 catches for 600 yards. So unless Britt shatters the NFL single-game record for receiving yards, with 400 against the 49ers, the Rams will have gone eight seasons without a 1,000-yard receiver.

No disrespect to Britt’s contributions. But even in an offense that favors the running game, that speaks to the need to add an outside receiving threat during the offseason. But that’s a story for another day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Fairley and Baron are out, we may get to see a, full start for Maorice Alexander and LouisTrinca-Passat this Sunday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
• A pair of former Rams draft picks were signed to practice squads Wednesday: running back Daryl Richardson by Cleveland and cornerback Brandon McGee by Dallas.

And Immediately McGee was listed as questionable.

RamBill

Legend
Assistant head coach/offense Rob Boras talks about the team’s practice in Napa Valley and his recent run as offensive play caller.

Watch Boras Presser

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"“It’s easy to build a rapport with a guy who makes plays, and he’s made some big plays the last few weeks,” Keenum said. “It’s been a lot of fun to throw to guys who get open. You tend to look their way a little bit more. And he’s been running great routes and getting open. I think it’s just happened, it’s been on the right play at the right time, in the right coverage. He’s taken advantage of it.”"

You got to love Keenum honesty, and there's a lot to what's said here.
I see it as, Brian Quick, you're done.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
"“It’s easy to build a rapport with a guy who makes plays, and he’s made some big plays the last few weeks,” Keenum said. “It’s been a lot of fun to throw to guys who get open. You tend to look their way a little bit more. And he’s been running great routes and getting open. I think it’s just happened, it’s been on the right play at the right time, in the right coverage. He’s taken advantage of it.”"

Not sure how you ended up drawing that conclusion. By that thought process, Kendricks, Welker & Austin would all "be done" as pass catchers as well. Because since Keenum has taken over, the only two guys he throws the ball to with any regularity are Britt and Cook.

As far as Quick is concerned, he has to be on the field when actual pass plays are called to in order to make any evaluation of Keenum's comments.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Boras impressing me more and more very humble and giving credit to the other Assistants like Offensive Line Coaches Paul Bourdreau and Andy Dickerson and "I'm just a Tight End Coach who gets to call plays, nothing more." Nice!

RamBill

Legend
Quarterback Case Keenum talks about building rapport with his wide receivers and his offensive line doing an outstanding job at Seattle.

Watch Keenum's Presser

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I don't think his comments are necessarily an indictment on Quick, but i agree that experiment is likely over in terms of him ever being a #1 guy.
It SHOULD be, anyway. He does not appear to have the mental acumen to go along with his body. His ball location timing and aggressiveness towards the ball in tight spaces isn't good either. Give me a sure-handed 5'10" guy who aggressively goes after the football over a Brian Quick every day and twice on Sundays.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And Immediately McGee was listed as questionable.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....LOL:mrburnsevil::snicker: thought of you immediately......LMAO....He's playing this Sunday...

I don't think his comments are necessarily an indictment on Quick, but i agree that experiment is likely over in terms of him ever being a #1 guy.
It SHOULD be, anyway. He does not appear to have the mental acumen to go along with his body. His ball location timing and aggressiveness towards the ball in tight spaces isn't good either. Give me a sure-handed 5'10" guy who aggressively goes after the football over a Brian Quick every day and twice on Sundays.
Not yet...don't give up on this one just yet...Trust me;)...I still see something....:shades::football:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Agree with this. What has happened to Brian Quick? He was just coming on last year when he suffered that horrible shoulder injury. Fisher said it was career "threatening" and it looks like he may have been right. It will be interesting to see what happens with him this year... isn't he a free agent after this season?