Practice Report 11/4: Johnson Hopes to Play vs. Panthers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 11/4: Johnson Hopes to Play vs. Panthers

Myles Simmons

It’s been a long month for cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

In Los Angeles’ Week 5 matchup against the Bills, Johnson took on a block from fullback Jerome Felton on a run to the offense’s right midway through the fourth quarter. While it initially looked like the cornerback had shed Felton, the fullback went to the ground, and rolled up on the back of Johnson’s leg. The result, according to Johnson, was, “a high ankle sprain with a little bone bruise.”

And all things considered, the injury could have been a lot worse.

“I watched it over and over the next day,” Johnson said Friday. “It’s part of the game. He rolled over me. And I could’ve broke it. But they told me I didn’t have to have surgery, so that was good.”

Why watch it so many times?

“I had to because I was just so mad — at him at first, then I was like, it’s part of the game. I can’t do anything about it,” Johnson said.

That realization — plus the diagnosis — appeared to change Johnson’s mindset, resulting in him attacking his rehab.

“They told me four-to-six weeks [to recover], and I was happy with that,” Johnson said.

Now, just about four weeks later, Johnson could be back. He was on the field both Wednesday and Friday, albeit in a limited capacity, and is listed as questionable for Sunday.

“I feel great,” Johnson said. “It’s been a long month, and I’ve been itching to get back out there with my teammates. Lots of rehab. I’ve been living in the training room with my trainers to try to get back out on the field.”

Johnson did travel with the team on the long road trip to both Detroit and London, which he said aided his recovery.

I’m glad they took me to London, because in London I was in the training room every day with those guys,” Johnson said.

Now, just about four weeks later, Johnson could be back. He was on the field both Wednesday and Friday, albeit in a limited capacity, and is listed as questionable for Sunday.

“I feel great,” Johnson said. “It’s been a long month, and I’ve been itching to get back out there with my teammates. Lots of rehab. I’ve been living in the training room with my trainers to try to get back out on the field.”

Johnson did travel with the team on the long road trip to both Detroit and London, which he said aided his recovery.

I’m glad they took me to London, because in London I was in the training room every day with those guys,” Johnson said.

Second-year cornerback Troy Hill has been starting in place of Johnson, which should only help the Rams going forward in terms of depth.

“We’ve been able to have the next-man-up philosophy and they’ve been doing good,” Johnson said. “They’ve been holding their own. I’m just ready to get back out there, try to win some games.

With 16 career interceptions — a mark that tops the 2012 draft class — the Rams can certainly use Johnson’s skill and experience against a talented Panthers offense. That’s particularly because one of quarterback Cam Newton’s primary receivers, Kelvin Benjamin, is listed at 6-foot-5. Johnson is Los Angeles’ tallest cornerback, listed at 6-foot-2.

“I’ve been playing against big guys all my life, especially against Arizona twice a year,” Johnson said. “Playing Benjamin this year — he’s a good player. Strong, physical, has great hands. And Cam Newton, he does everything. So it’s going to be a good matchup for us.”

Whether or not Johnson plays may come down to a game-time decision. But Johnson sounded like someone who’s willing to do whatever it takes to be on the field at the Coliseum for Week 9.

“I’m just ready to play, man,” Johnson said. “I’m tired of losing — sitting out there and watching my teammates, I feel like I can help win some game. So we’ll see Sunday. I feel good, though.”

GETTING GURLEY GOING IN THE SECOND HALF

Through seven games, running back Todd Gurley has just 403 yards and three rushing touchdowns. He has yet to reach 100 yards rushing in a game this season, with his highest output — 85 yards — coming on 27 carries in the Rams’ Week 3 victory over Tampa Bay.

So, as the question goes, what’s up with Gurley?

“It’s not a Gurley thing, I think it’s more of a team thing. And then it’s an opponent issue too, because they’re stopping it, they’re loading up,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said Friday. “Like I said, we need to get it going. It’s November, and we need to get it going.”

While there are some minor things Fisher said Gurley can improve, the head coach sounded positive when it comes to the running back’s play.

“You’d like to see him make somebody miss, or break a tackle. He should win against defensive backs, especially corners,” Fisher said. “But, I’m not, by any means, down on Todd.”

“You just have to stay patient, stick to the plan, keep going out there, and work hard — just hope that things open up and I’m pretty sure they will,” Gurley said.

That won’t necessarily be easy against a stout Panthers defensive front, especially after the way Carolina played last week against Arizona.

“Obviously looking at the last game, probably one of their best games overall. Great, great, physical front seven. Linebackers are great – they know what you’re going to do before the ball [is snapped],” Gurley said. “You just have to play your game and make sure that you’re studying them as good as they’re studying you, and just beat your man, one-on-one.”

INJURY REPORT

Aside from Johnson (ankle), who is listed as questionable, the Rams have four more players on their final injury report of the week.

Defensive end William Hayes (ankle), defensive tackle Michael Brockers (groin), and offensive guardJamon Brown (hand) were all limited in Friday's practice and have been listed as questionable.

Wide receiver Nelson Spruce (calf) did not practice Friday and has been declared out for Sunday.

As for Carolina, starting linebacker Shaq Thompson (knee) did not practice Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday and has been declared out. Starting center Ryan Kalil also did not participate in practice this week, but has been declared questionable. And middle linebacker Luke Kuechly did not practice Thursday or Friday and has been listed as questionable. However, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera has said he expects Kuechly to play.

[www.therams.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
On the injury front, I wonder what they do to rehab the dreaded high ankle sprain? Like the torn acl, the high ankle sprain has become very heal-able...Something that would take you out for months in the 80's & 90's, has been reduced to a 3-4 week little hiatus...modern medicine. We need Tru...and EJ...although I think this is an easy game for this defense...

Luke Kuechly & Shaq Thompson being out is huge....

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if the problem is we are sticking to the plan.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As for Carolina, starting linebacker Shaq Thompson (knee) did not practice Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday and has been declared out. Starting center Ryan Kalil also did not participate in practice this week, but has been declared questionable. And middle linebacker Luke Kuechly did not practice Thursday or Friday and has been listed as questionable. However, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera has said he expects Kuechly to play.
I hope they are ALL out for this game! Thompson and Kuechly out would be great for our Offence and with Kalil out Our interior D-Line can stop Cam from stepping up in the pocket and our pass D can get after Cam!!
GO RAMS!!
Rams 2015.jpg

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Fisher should sit him until he is ready. Maybe the seventh game of next year?:headexplosion: