Potential Free Agent Moves For The Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/18/potential-free-agent-moves-for-the-st-louis-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/18/potent ... ouis-rams/</a>
Potential Free Agent Moves For The St. Louis Rams
For the most part, the St. Louis Rams roster has been filled out. From the end of February to the start of summer, the team has added a healthy combination of veteran and “young” talent, including hitting on several “big name” players in free agency. With training camp and preseason still left on the schedule before any meaningful football is played, there are still a lot of decisions to be made. As of August 27th, all teams must cut their current roster to a maximum of 75 players. Then, by 6:00 PM EST on August 31st, they will have to reduce that number again, rounding out the “final” 53-man roster.
It is unlikely that there will be too much shifting for the Rams at this point. There will likely be a handful of undrafted free agents released, and several rookie or sophomore players cut and moved to the eight-man practice squad. However, it would not be unfathomable to see the Rams snag a handful of veteran to come in and complete for a spot on the roster. On Friday, the team signed veteran safety Matt Giordano. Who else is left out there that St. Louis might consider bringing in?

Desmond Bishop, ILB
The Packers’ cut Bishop yesterday in a surprise move, leaving the seven-year veteran searching for a new home for 2013. Bishop was sidelined for all of 2012 with a hamstring injury, after posting huge numbers in 2011. As a 3-4 inside linebacker, the man racked up over 100 tackles, 23 pressures in the pass rush (including 5 sacks), and 47 defensive stops. To put that in perspective, those numbers were all superior to Patrick Willis’ that same year. Bishop would give the Rams some added veteran depth at middle linebacker, and could even shift to the outside on obvious run downs or on the goalline. He was due $3.46 million for 2013, which might be a little steep for a “depth” player. However, coming off an injury in a relatively stagnant free agent pool, Bishop might be willing to sign on for somewhere in the $1.5 to $2.25 million range.

Leroy Hill, OLB
In 2012, Hill was ranked by Pro Football Focus as the 10th best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league. Hill is an all-around backer, who specializes as a run stuffer, but was also excellent in coverage, allowing a mere 60.0% catch rate and only one receiving touchdown when throw at last season. If signed, this would be his 9th season in the league, and would easily fit within the Rams’ tight budget. Last season, he signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract with Seattle. Prior to that, he was under contract for a mere $685,000 in 2011, the league minimum. Not only would Hill add depth to a severely limited outside linebacker pool, he could provide vital intel about the Seattle Seahawks. It would be similar to the Craig Dahl situation with the San Francisco 49ers, with the added benefit of actually being able to play the game of football.

Wayne Hunter, OT
I know, shocking! Wayne Hunter might not be the sexiest pick up for the Rams, but on the offensive line, consistency is the name of the game. With Jake Long and Rodger Saffold both falling prey to a laundry list of injuries over the past two seasons, quality depth on the outside will be essential if the St. Louis Rams plan to be competitive for all of 2013. In Wayne Hunter’s three “healthy” starts last season (Chicago, Seattle, Arizona) he played all 182 offensive snaps on the blindside, and allowed only 1 sack and 2 hits on Sam Bradford. Hunter got yanked after allowing 3 sacks against the Miami Dolphins, but likely should not have started the game to begin with, having sat out the entire week of practice with a knee injury. As a backup, Hunter would essentially be the filler at right tackle, regardless of whether it were Long or Saffold that went down with injury; with Saffold having the ability to shift to the left side if needed. More importantly, he should come relatively cheap, coming out of a bad situation in New York and a “below-average” statistical year in St. Louis. Regardless of your opinion on Hunter, he is a superior player to both Ty Nsekhe and Joe Barksdale, the current backups on the depth chart, and, considering he already knows the system in St. Louis, would have an easy transition back onto the roster.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams have spoken to LB Chris Gocong and Will Witherspoon, as Im sure everyone on the board knows. I always like Gocong, although, is he an upgrade over McIntosh? I dont know that to be true. Witherspoon certainly was a player, but, lost his job to a young guy last year. It would appear Hill would be an upgrade over either one of those guys. The question has to be asked why Seattle seemed to express little interest in bringing him back and why no one else has brought him in? I think, rightly or wrongly, he is perceived still as a two down player. Or, maybe his salary demands are out of touch with reality. As for Hunter I liked his play last year. He was very solid overall I thought. Again, if the Rams believe that Barksdale is their depth guy I doubt they would bring Hunter back. Has Richardson signed with someone? It would seem he would be just as likely to be brought back for T depth as, again, he played well last year.

My gut tells me the Rams are not looking to bring in a veteran to start at OLB. They have Dunbar and JL and will deal with some growing pains with Ogletree. I think they only want to add depth at the position and will add a guy that is cheap that wont cause problems or keep a rookie off the field. The choice they made for a veteran S kind of fits this mold. A guy to compete for a spot but not one that will "default" as the starter. I really thing the coaching staff has its eyes set on 2014 to make a deep run, not next year.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We only have a half million dollars in CAP room left. I think I read Demoff saying they'd like to have about $3 million in reserve to sign replacements during the season. I'm not sure that figure is correct but cuts or redoing contracts would be necessary to do anything.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, so much for that. Half a mill aint much. I always wondered how that worked with an in season injury and the cap. If a team got a break or not. I assumed not because teams would be putting guys on the injured list if they werent performing to free money up.

…..

Legend
Desmond Bishop is particularly interesting if the Rams could find a way to afford him, which is doubtful. I thought his stock was rising and would be loved to have been a fly on the wall in the room when the decision was made to cut him. One thing that stands out...its rare to see a whole year lost to a hamstring injury. So his ability (translate- willingness) to come back from that injury is probably a key component in the decision to cut him. if there a a slight hint of misguided work ethic, Fisher wont consider him.

LeeRoy Hill? meh....I just dont like Seahawk players in general, so anything I say about him is biased. And i'm ok with that.