Postgame notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Obviously we didn't have a lot of key starters, particularly on defense. Lot of matchups were basically doomed to fail and it showed in the way we were dominated early on. That said, this is game 3 of preseason and the first half tends to be a bit of a litmus test for what to expect and from that perspective there are definitely concerns still for myself at least:

OL. Right side got manhandled in pass pro. They got manhandled in some run plays too vs the Chargers starting front (Chargers DL was pulled before the LBs). Not a surprise for anyone who has been paying attention, but after how they looked vs Oakland it's a little disappointing. Murphy needs to be cut, the guy has absolutely no business playing on the edge at this level. I'd like to go further, but want to be sure before I call guys out. And I'm sure some others here can comment on those types with more certainty.

WR. It didn't seem like guys were getting the instant separation we saw vs Oakland. Before this game I was interested in seeing who was going to step up into that go-to void in Kupp's absence, and it seemed like we had some good options from Woods, to Watkins, to even the TEs. Watkins, in fact, was a key for me, since I felt like his talent would allow him to show well after his self proclaimed week and a half learning the system, but he was a complete non-factor.

What irks me too is that Spruce couldn't take advantage of the opportunity to get on the field because he was injured again. And of course Tavon is poised to ride in on his white horse and make a big impact right?

No. My take on WR is pretty simple at this juncture: if they don't have Kupp it's going to hurt. With Kupp they have a guy who can make it all work, who brings size and quick route separation to open things up on key downs/distances. Kupp is absolutely critical to this offense, at least up until we see Watkins begin to flex his ability in this scheme.

TE. Expected to see Higs and Everett shine, and the two did make their presence felt, Higs with the PI after he had to slow up for the pass when he had clearly beaten his man and Everett in some short stuff. But neither really looked like security blanket type options just yet. I think the world of Everett, but he is a rook so IMO we still do need Higs to step it up. Hemingway injury was unfortunate, real bummer there. Still waiting on TE to step it up.

QB. Not going to go all nuts about Goff's outing as there will be plenty of it here and elsewhere. He did some good things, but that was not the demonstration I wanted to see. And I did not like the way McVay avoided going back to him and allowing him to put that ball back up and redeem himself. It's a concern for me. Mannion looks like a solid backup.

Defense. So many guys out that all I'm going to say is they'd better improve in their run defense. Guys were out, understood, but man. That was an ugly showing and it compounded the way the game unfolded early on.

Special teams. Our returns haven't looked too good, right now that's my main concern with the ST. A lot of guys getting trucked or run by and very little lane availability. I have faith in Bones, but it's not just him as his teams are dependent upon depth cuts prioritizing teams. So gonna wait and see and hope it improves.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Kupp, like Reggie J, is the glue for the offense.
Watkins isn't a non-factor. Had Goff thrown a nice ball, we'd be saying 'suhweet'. His presence is the factor...he helps the whole team--something Gurley can't do, yet.
Everett will be the passing down TE in 5-6 games.
And, I thought several 2nd string O lineman looked pretty good against the 1st string SanDIego D.....Williams at LT has some feet, but maybe not the arms (length and strength)

EasyE

Starter
I think Goff's issues is his pocket awareness...he is so mentally tough that he hangs in the pocket too long waiting for a play to develop, that it becomes his downfall....I kinda wish he was a little more scared...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think Goff's issues is his pocket awareness...he is so mentally tough that he hangs in the pocket too long waiting for a play to develop, that it becomes his downfall....I kinda wish he was a little more scared...
This. He almost seems too relaxed in the pocket. It was nearly Brady-like. I think he will eventually develop in that aspect. But it is concerning. I still thought he played well for the most part.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
This. He almost seems too relaxed in the pocket. It was nearly Brady-like. I think he will eventually develop in that aspect. But it is concerning. I still thought he played well for the most part.

Yeah, I always thought Goff's natural pocket instincts and evasiveness were a strength, but last night he looked a little slow to respond to things for some reason. Looked like RG3.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
WR. It didn't seem like guys were getting the instant separation we saw vs Oakland. Before this game I was interested in seeing who was going to step up into that go-to void in Kupp's absence, and it seemed like we had some good options from Woods, to Watkins, to even the TEs. Watkins, in fact, was a key for me, since I felt like his talent would allow him to show well after his self proclaimed week and a half learning the system, but he was a complete non-factor.

What irks me too is that Spruce couldn't take advantage of the opportunity to get on the field because he was injured again. And of course Tavon is poised to ride in on his white horse and make a big impact right?

No. My take on WR is pretty simple at this juncture: if they don't have Kupp it's going to hurt. With Kupp they have a guy who can make it all work, who brings size and quick route separation to open things up on key downs/distances. Kupp is absolutely critical to this offense, at least up until we see Watkins begin to flex his ability in this scheme.
If true, this is a shame....
go back and look at our first drive. Seemed it was moving....that right side you spoke of notwithstanding....then....fumble.
Reynolds stepped up....Woods is woods...told yalll....didn't see Watkins used....I'm finished with Higbee...

QB. Not going to go all nuts about Goff's outing as there will be plenty of it here and elsewhere. He did some good things, but that was not the demonstration I wanted to see. And I did not like the way McVay avoided going back to him and allowing him to put that ball back up and redeem himself. It's a concern for me. Mannion looks like a solid backup.
Not sure why not...2 turnovers from the kid....that was awful....saw a lot of 2016 Goff. McVay pulled him early cause he saw it too.
Smalll hands...ball flutters when he's trying to thread it...

Didn't like Mannion much either...almost got Reynolds killed...oh yeah...

Defense. So many guys out that all I'm going to say is they'd better improve in their run defense. Guys were out, understood, but man. That was an ugly showing and it compounded the way the game unfolded early on.
Guys are out....but the ones that were there....didn't see none step up....Josh Forrest looked like a player...Joyner is still trash...Like I keep telling Boni, Marqui Christian is a player...Blake Countess is from Auburn...figure that out.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yeah, I always thought Goff's natural pocket instincts and evasiveness were a strength, but last night he looked a little slow to respond to things for some reason. Looked like RG3.

I can understand your thinking on this although IMHO until he fumbled he showed flashes of brilliance on his first drive..... even that Seem route to Higbee that drew the pass interface. .. I felt was behind Higs but he could have adjusted and High pointed the catch using his massive size...IMHO Higbee's game will develop that as he continues to work in the regular season. Heck he used his size well in college. I've watched a lot of Redskins games.... there won't be just one receiving TE, as stated by many posters before...They use both TE'S as receiving threats......as I expect we will.... I'm not exactly sure why a Rams fan would love Hibee or Everett, and hate the other? Why not wish success for both and further development by them only helps the Rams.?...doesn't it?

On the broken play safety valve pass to Brown I thought Goff was very Aaron Rogers like. On the overthrow pass in the end zone I cannot tell if he throwing it away or was just an overthrow. .....and the strip sack happened.... Goffstown bad. On the overthrow he said he felt pressure but he blamed himself for not zipping that ball in there.

My evaluation is this.... there is still plenty of room for improvement. .. but Goff gives us a good chance to win......and I expect more games like what we saw against the Raiders and Cowboys.... bit every once in a while a quarter like we saw last night against the Chargers.... that being said....I think we still have a great opportunity to finish 11-5 this year...... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I got to my seat early (34yd line, 28 rows up from the field) and watched warm ups. They looked flat and disinterested.. WR's kept dropping balls. Not the energy I saw at TC and it showed when the game started. Look at the fumble that the Chargers ran 70+ yds back for a TD. Notice who the closest Ram is when he gets to the goal line? Whitworth. The oldest guy on the field. Havenstien got beat bad and Goff never saw it coming. It was a nice drive and Rams should have tied the score. Might have been a much different game.

I'm sure McVay had his reasons, but it was disappointing to see most of the starting defense not even in uniform. Hard for me to find much positive in this game. 21-0 8 min into the 1st qtr will do that to ya.

My main focus wa on the OL. OL changed midway 2nd qtr. .D Williams,LT, did a solid job backing up Whitworth. Eldecamp LG, did well in pass pro, but struggled in run blocking. Sullivan is a stud. Blythe did fine a backup C, holds his ground up the middle. Brown is coming along, getting better with reps. but Havenstien is slow. Speed rushers eat him up.

All in all, the OL is much better than last year. Rt side is still a work in progress, I saw better play this game from the backups. Rams need a backup for Havenstien, Murphy is NOT it and D Williams is better baking Whit.

Without Whit and Sully (Doughnut Bros, Act II) Rams OL would be no better than last year. Goff amd

Rams D got no pressure on the QB. DB's played well off the WR ala GWilliams. What's up with that Wade?

Rams D didn't give up a point after the 1st qtr, if you want to call that a positive.

I think McVay got out coached, and Rams got out played. Maybe losing a game will be a positive?

Zero

Pro Bowler
Judging on how the ball came out of Goff's hand on the
int,I'm not sure he wasn't injured on the strip fumble.
Bosa took a swat at the ball to knock it loose.
Not sure he didn't do some damage to Goff's hand in the
process.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Judging on how the ball came out of Goff's hand on the
Bosa took a swat at the ball to knock it loose.
Not sure he didn't do some damage to Goff's hand in the
process.

I'd find that hard to accept. He went out for like 3 more series after that in a preseason game? That better not be the case.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All I know is, I was glad when they pulled Rivers. If they kept him in there the whole half they woulda hung 35 on that defense by halftime. I hope it was just a case of playing vanilla. Because there was zero pressure every time Rivers dropped back.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
udging on how the ball came out of Goff's hand on the

Nah, watch the replay. He rushed it out and it came out wrong. He was aware of a guy coming right at him from his left with nothing stopping him from whacking Goff so Goff flung it. I think it was meant for Watkins who was open. Bad decision, bad pass.

Because there was zero pressure every time Rivers dropped back.

I watched highlights and it was astounding how much time he had.........3-4 seconds consistently. Lots of starters not playing so it's not terribly disturbing but holy shit Rivers was under no duress almost every time he dropped back in the clip I saw.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think we still have a great opportunity to finish 11-5 this year...... ;)

Hope you're right, but I think the right side of our OL makes that unlikely. It disturbed me last night how quickly Hav was beaten, initiating a domino effect of bad stuff.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Once I found out the starting defense was not playing, all I cared about was offense. It all was going as I hoped until Goff under threw Higbee. Seemed like he should have thrown the ball more over Higbee's shoulder and of course farther and it would have been a TD. I hated that throw. Would not have seen Hav get beat. He let the guy just push his hands down and go around him. It isn't just slow feet, I think Hav has slow hands. Then the next series fell apart fast and McVay started pulling starters. Left Goff in only to hand off? I wanted to see if he could bounce back. I think this is McVay using this as a major teaching moment. Making sure he has the bad taste in his mouth till the 10th. Leaving the rest of the league with this crappy tape. Making sure everyone is healthy and hoping for the element of surprise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I really think it is his hand size(strength),& grip . He double clutches a lot because of it, & it showed on his INT as well as the fumble.
My biggest concern is his fumbling from his first scrimmage last season against Dallas , to all his fumbling of snaps his first TC as well.

As far as the punt return?? Tavon is one of the best in the game & Fassell will put it all together once in the regular season.

DE with D. Easley out & Donald out hurts The Rams defense, plus Quinn not playing at all.
I think once everything clears The Rams defense could be very special.
I really dislike J Joyner. He seems to get burned way to often.Will see how Cody Davies & Mo Alexander do as well ?
Nick Robey & Webster sitting out doesn't help much .

On offense Reynolds is going to be a total non factor & probably won't be on the game day roster, imo

It was interesting that Jamon Brown was replaced when the starting O'Line came off the field, Big Rob Hav stayed on with Whichmann playing RG ??
Big Rob seems to be actually struggling more & seems to be getting a free pass vs Jamon Brown is my take of the situation ?? I think McVay & Kromer get it ??

Higbee got bailed out on that PI call ? The guy never turned back , but contact came at the sametime . He needs to catch the football ?? Even if it was , same thoughts. Make a play.

Rivers is one of the best QB's in the game. He gave the defense some good tape for the week.

Withworth showed good hustle & leadership running after the fumble. Didn't want him to blow a hammie.Just a good example of playing to the whistle. Like in baseball , running to first base.
You never know ??

Ethan Westbrooks plays hard & will be solid once the season starts. I think he will get some nice sacks because of the environment the D" brings.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hope you're right, but I think the right side of our OL makes that unlikely. It disturbed me last night how quickly Hav was beaten, initiating a domino effect of bad stuff.

This is an example I'm talking about.
(Big Rob vs Brown )

Todd Gurley didn't play either. I like the way Davies runs .

Williams is starting to get a lot better. He is still so young.

I don't know what the season will bring ?? A game at a time. Health & depth will play a big part. Get Donald & starters out there , I think the depth will be there.
McVay is give a lot of players good experience & looks to make the squad. It will be interesting how The Rams make cuts with there new HC ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is, I was glad when they pulled Rivers. If they kept him in there the whole half they woulda hung 35 on that defense by halftime. I hope it was just a case of playing vanilla. Because there was zero pressure every time Rivers dropped back.
It was a case of having 2nd stringers playing for the Rams. Rivers probably would have gotten punked by Dpnald, Brockers and Quinn had they been in....