Post Warner Era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So after we let go of Warner and handed the reins over to Bulger, do you guys think Sam would of been tearing up defenses with what Bulger had?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bruce and Holt? Faulk and young Steven Jackson in his prime?

Oh yeah he would have.

However, Bulger wasn't bad at the start, it was the management that brought him down and the fact that he wasn't mobile enough to move around when the O-Line went downhill.

Now if we took that 2003 team, with this leadership, and a Sam Bradford on it, we'd have gotten our revenge on the Pats and then some.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he would have done very well up until about 2006.
From 2007 to 2009, he would have been killed I would imagine.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
I think he would have done very well up until about 2006.
From 2007 to 2009, he would have been killed I would imagine.

Yep. And this, just my opinion, but I don't think anyone could have done much better than Bulger with the circumstances he faced from 2007-2009. Could a different QB have possibly led to a few more wins? Sure, but nothing too significant. QB play wasn't what led to the demise, it was front office management and the coaching staffs under Martz and Linehan. While I don't think Spags was related to the season the Rams had to endure in 2009(he and Devaney had to gut the roster, they had no other option), he was part of the reason why 2011 happened.

As for 2002-2006? Bradford would have probably done as good as Bulger, if not better.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't think Bulger is anywhere near the talent with his arm than what Bradford is, if he had that kind of talent, he would of made a super bowl appearance or two and you know more playoff appearances after 2004.

A55VA6

Legend
This is a good topic. Fun to think about!

I think Bradford would have done quite a bit better than Bulger. Bradford was kind of thrown into nothing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think Bradford - or anyone - could have had a very good career under the direction of our franchise post Vermeil. A few good seasons, maybe.

The evolution of our franchise, bringing us Kroenke and the existing leadership, should make Bradford count his lucky stars to have had only to endure 2 years of douchbaggery.

Slappy967

Starter
Friend of mine who I used to do radio with has been told by numerous former players that a lot of Bulgers issues didn't start until his lineman got sick of his attitude. Bradford is a far better leader and even when we finished with 2 wins in his 2nd year was still trying to get on the field and lead.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Hmmm not sure if this is an insult to Bulger or what?

Bulger WAS tearing up defenses with what he had. A Great WR core and OK offensive line 02-06.....Then the Oline was really starting to die, coaching was at a all time low, and WRs started to depart and stall.

Bulger was passing for close/over/projected-to(before injuries) 4,000 yards and 20+ TDs in 02-06 with a average of 90+ rating. 2 Pro Bowls to go with it and many 4th quarter comebacks during those years. And while many dont like to admit it because he was a quiet guy (more so than Sam) Bulger had ALOT of heart and was one of the toughest guys I have seen play the sport. I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger.

AND he was given NOTHING, he TOOK Kurt's spot. Warner was KILLING this team in 2002, KILLING us. Then Bulger comes in and is 6-0 as a starter playing flawlessly, brings us back to playoff contention after we started 0-5 with Warner playing a HUGE roll in all the losses in 2002. Then 2003 comes and Martz give Warner the start against the Giants in week 1 and Warner single handedly lost us the game. Enough was a enough, we were not gonna wait the YEARS that it took Warner to get his swagger back (not that we knew that it was gonna happen of course). Bulger goes 12-3 that season, with many wins coming off of his play in the 4th. The same would show in 2004, Bulger passing for just under 4000 yards despite missing some time, while the team dipped in wins because of Oline issues and a defense that was PATHETIC under new DC Larry Marme. 2005 comes and before injury Bulger was on pace for record passing numbers of 5000 passing yards and around 30 TDs (in projections), would he have remained healthy he would have been in the vicinity of those numbers. 2006 in a new offense Bulger proved he is not a system player, throwing for over 4000 yards and only 8 ints. But the hits starting really coming right then under Linny and Hasslet and then Spags. And unfortunately the WRs started to dipp too, Isaac was injured in 07 and departed after, Drew Bennet and McMichael were bust with us and Torry was on the decline.

Ok enough of the rant. I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger, the guy had guts and played through so much pain and BS. Very good QB during the years where the system was not meant to kill him. IMO of course. No he was not as good as Warner in his prime obviously but bottom line is at the time it was the DAMN right decision to start Bulger, or that 03 and 04 season would have been 5 or 4 win teams.....Bulger DID do damage with Torry, Isaac, Curtis, Faulk, SJ, Proehl, McDonald, etc.

OK rant over. Again I respect the hell out of #10. Bulger will always be one of the most misunderstood Rams in history IMO. Whatever. Done.

OK. In 2011? Having Torry or Isaac would not have helped too much, that Oline was just too pathetic give Sam anything. But based on the Oline last season and even during his rookie year, yea having 1 of Torry or Isaac from 1999-2006 would have made us in the playoffs IMO. We are not that far and having a elite pass catcher like Torry or Isaac who is dependable to play for close to or all 16 games would be HUGE and the difference from a 7 win team to a 10 win team. Sadly I don't own a time machine =(

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Slappy967 said:
Friend of mine who I used to do radio with has been told by numerous former players that a lot of Bulgers issues didn't start until his lineman got sick of his attitude.

Im calling BS on that. Even though I will say that it was the OLINE who got Bulger crushed to death for years smh :roll: so im just saying I can understand and I would have expect a QB to be frustrated under those conditions..... But its like Bulger said on 101espn with Bernie a year or so ago, "Ask Marshall, or Torry, or Isaac, or Steven if I had passion and if I took command in the huddle because those guys will tell ya" Along those lines.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
biggame1190 said:
[hilite]Hmmm not sure if this is an insult to Bulger or what?[/hilite]

Bulger WAS tearing up defenses with what he had. A Great WR core and OK offensive line 02-06.....Then the Oline was really starting to die, coaching was at a all time low, and WRs started to depart and stall.

Bulger was passing for close/over/projected-to(before injuries) 4,000 yards and 20+ TDs in 02-06 with a average of 90+ rating. 2 Pro Bowls to go with it and many 4th quarter comebacks during those years. And while many dont like to admit it because he was a quiet guy (more so than Sam) Bulger had ALOT of heart and was one of the toughest guys I have seen play the sport. I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger.

AND he was given NOTHING, he TOOK Kurt's spot. Warner was KILLING this team in 2002, KILLING us. Then Bulger comes in and is 6-0 as a starter playing flawlessly, brings us back to playoff contention after we started 0-5 with Warner playing a HUGE roll in all the losses in 2002. Then 2003 comes and Martz give Warner the start against the Giants in week 1 and Warner single handedly lost us the game. Enough was a enough, we were not gonna wait the YEARS that it took Warner to get his swagger back (not that we knew that it was gonna happen of course). Bulger goes 12-3 that season, with many wins coming off of his play in the 4th. The same would show in 2004, Bulger passing for just under 4000 yards despite missing some time, while the team dipped in wins because of Oline issues and a defense that was PATHETIC under new DC Larry Marme. 2005 comes and before injury Bulger was on pace for record passing numbers of 5000 passing yards and around 30 TDs (in projections), would he have remained healthy he would have been in the vicinity of those numbers. 2006 in a new offense Bulger proved he is not a system player, throwing for over 4000 yards and only 8 ints. But the hits starting really coming right then under Linny and Hasslet and then Spags. And unfortunately the WRs started to dipp too, Isaac was injured in 07 and departed after, Drew Bennet and McMichael were bust with us and Torry was on the decline.

Ok enough of the rant. I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger, the guy had guts and played through so much pain and BS. Very good QB during the years where the system was not meant to kill him. IMO of course. No he was not as good as Warner in his prime obviously but bottom line is at the time it was the DAMN right decision to start Bulger, or that 03 and 04 season would have been 5 or 4 win teams.....Bulger DID do damage with Torry, Isaac, Curtis, Faulk, SJ, Proehl, McDonald, etc.

OK rant over. Again I respect the hell out of #10. Bulger will always be one of the most misunderstood Rams in history IMO. Whatever. Done.

OK. In 2011? Having Torry or Isaac would not have helped too much, that Oline was just too pathetic give Sam anything. But based on the Oline last season and even during his rookie year, yea having 1 of Torry or Isaac from 1999-2006 would have made us in the playoffs IMO. We are not that far and having a elite pass catcher like Torry or Isaac who is dependable to play for close to or all 16 games would be HUGE and the difference from a 7 win team to a 10 win team. Sadly I don't own a time machine =(
No insult intended towards Mr. Bulger, but what I am getting at is, would Bradford of had more success than Bulger or at the very least more production than what he has done with what we have given him his previous three years.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Barrison6 said:
So after we let go of Warner and handed the reins over to Bulger, do you guys think Sam would of been tearing up defenses with what Bulger had?

In a word......yes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger, the guy had guts and played through so much pain and BS.

I don't think you'll get much disagreement around here.

Bulger deserves the respect of Rams fans. He replaced "a legend" and played damn good football.

Not to mention, he took a beating as the league caught up to how Martz exposed the QB. Countless times he got up from hits most guys wouldn't.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram acting as the ROD spokeperson:
biggame1190 said:
I respect the hell out of Marc Bulger, the guy had guts and played through so much pain and BS.

Bulger deserves the respect of Rams fans. He replaced "a legend" and played damn good football.

Not to mention, he took a beating as the league caught up to how Martz exposed the QB. Countless times he got up from hits most guys wouldn't.
:good1:
You guys are right on the money. :plus1:

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram acting as the ROD spokeperson:
biggame1190 said:

:good1:
You guys are right on the money. :plus1:
jeesh, all of you are right on target..
train