Post-Senior Bowl Rams 7-Round Mock Draft w/ Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Post-Senior Bowl Rams 7-Round Mock Draft w/ Trade

January 27, 2019

| By:

Jake Ellenbogen

227364_4008f72ac3834c4ca65e18787a8d5da9~mv2.webp

The Senior Bowl is officially over and it was a fun week here in Mobile, Alabama. Next up, is the combine but it's time for a mock draft. The Rams will have either the 31st or 32nd pick in the draft, here's a Rams only full-seven round mock draft following Senior Bowl week.

1ST ROUND

Notes: Traded away 32nd-overall to the Cincinnati Bengals for their 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks.

2ND ROUND

Notes: Traded away 64th-overall to the Kansas City Chiefs as part of the trade for CB Marcus Peters

42nd-overall (via Cincinnati): Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida | 6-foot-0, 207 pounds

227364_38d747ce9980482ea9e5b44b08ebdaa7~mv2.webp

Many Rams fans will be pounding the table for Delaware safety Nasir Adderley at 32nd overall, but the problem is Adderley's stock is flying high and will be way out of the Rams range. In this mock, we take the liberty of trading down, acquiring more picks and grabbing a stud safety to replace LaMarcus Joyner in the secondary. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson can step in day one and compete for a starting job between in-house options Marqui Christian, Blake Countess and Steven Parker. CGJ is a versatile player that, like Joyner, can play as a nickel corner or play free safety.

The former four-star high school recruit finished his time with the Florida Gators tallying up to nine interceptions in which three he took back for touchdowns. If you are looking for the next best rangy safety with ball skills and tackling ability look no further than Gardner-Johnson. His floor is an NFL starter with serious playmaker abilities and his ceiling in my mind is a Pro Bowler with the potential to turn into an All-Pro player. Once he establishes himself in an NFL defense, that operates under a Wade Phillips type of defensive coordinator and plays next to a player like John Johnson III, CGJ's potential will be tapped into. So, with the first pick of the Rams 2019 draft class the Rams grab a starting safety and replace Joyner without spending in the 11-million dollar range.

Alternative pick: Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State

3RD ROUND

Notes:

Traded away unconfirmed compensatory pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars as part of the trade for OLB Dante Fowler Jr.

Received two compensatory picks from Sammy Watkins and Trumaine Johnson free agency losses

95th-overall: Khalen Saunders, DL, Western Illinois | 6-foot-0, 320 pounds

227364_f5357736807e4f88b9dfbaf715d73925~mv2.webp

Khalen Saunders had himself a week at the Senior Bowl and he's firmly in the mix for one of the top small-school prospects in this draft. It's going to be hard to even get Saunders here in the draft as he's likely going to be a day two pick after the combine but Saunders can bring so much to the table as an interior pass rusher and a run stuffer. Saunders is very athletic, he displayed that this week during the Senior Bowl practices as he did a back flip.

Saunders could fit right into that Ndamukong Suh role but he's big enough to play the nose tackle position next to Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, John Franklin-Myers and Morgan Fox. It's uncertain if Suh comes back regardless of a win or a loss in the Super Bowl but we do know that Saunders can help the Rams day one as well. He might be "undersized" but make no mistake, Saunders is going to be a problem at the next level.

Alternative pick: Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE, Louisiana Tech

Unconfirmed compensatory pick: Terrill Hanks, ILB, New Mexico State | 6-foot-2, 234 pounds

227364_a6c3813c13a44183a3a40ecd2f0dacbe~mv2.webp

Terrill Hanks jumps off the film right away and this week he really increased his stock. The New Mexico State linebacker does a nice job of disengaging blocks, finishing tackles, coverage skills and awareness. Hanks always knows where the first down marker is and will make sure he stops the ball-carrier short whenever he can. Hanks may not be the Devin White type of player Rams fans may want but once again, that's not realistic and as far as value, this is one of the best value linebackers in the draft. Hanks is a former defensive back in his own right and that's fairly evident when you watch how fluid he is moving in coverage. Plus, this guy knows how to rush the passer.

Hanks ended up with almost 400 tackles, 43 and a half of them being for a loss, 11 sacks and eight interceptions. The Rams have Mark Barron paired with their young former UDFA LB Cory Littleton. Barron is likely gone after this year and the way the new NFL has become, Micah Kiser likely isn't fast enough for today's game to be a 3-down linebacker. Insert Hanks, who absolutely can fit that role and will instantly help in the run game. The Rams issue at the linebacker position is how they often get swallowed up by bigger offensive lines, but with Hanks, he displays the ability to fight through blocks and make plays. He already met with the Rams so definitely keep this name on your mind.

Alternative pick: Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo

FOURTH ROUND

103rd-overall pick (via Cincinnati): Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo | 6-foot-7, 249 pounds

227364_d81b61e2809a40f6b7f6b55bf9a2f7a7~mv2.webp

Everything that has gone on this week leads me to believe there might not be a true franchise QB in this draft aside from Dwayne Haskins and maybe Kyler Murray. In these types of drafts, you have to sometimes go for the gold and in this case the arm talent, size and mobility combo that Tyree Jackson possesses might have to be enough. I had Tyree to the Rams in the way-too-early mock draft (which was my most recent one), I just think overall, the Rams are going to be moving on from Sean Mannion as his contract expires, Brandon Allen hasn't done anything to prove he's a legitimate backup behind Goff so to me, you absolutely have to draft a QB. Jackson is the developmental prospect that could end up being a game-changing player. His high's are very high and his low's are very low but the fact is there is too much raw talent to pass him up in a class like this.

The Rams have met with Jackson already so perhaps he's on their radar. According to Benjamin Allbright, he's hearing per his tweet that Jackson is receiving day three grades from around the league so that almost makes this a no-brainer for the Rams here picking with an extra pick in the fourth. Regardless, if it's Jackson or someone else, I believe you can take it to the bank that the Rams will ultimately draft a backup QB to develop behind Goff and Jackson is by far the most intriguing.

Alternative pick: Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

127th-overall pick: Iman Marshall, CB, USC | 6-foot-1, 203 pounds

227364_e60a63aeb65f4deeb29b14a4d68f697a~mv2_d_2000_1333_s_2.webp

The former USC Trojan will have a lot of fans liking this pick. Iman Marshall is being a little underrated as we approach the combine. That's likely going to change a little bit, but at the moment, Marshall finds himself in the fourth round and as a great value pick for a team looking to start looking towards the future at the position. With the Rams, they have an aging Aqib Talib, a regressing Marcus Peters that may just not be in the future plans and two free agent cornerbacks Troy Hill and Sam Shields. So, yes, the Rams have to consider drafting at least one corner and maybe two.

Marshall will have to improve as an all-around player but as of right now he can help a team out as a cover guy with big-time size and upside. Marshall had first-round hype early on in his college career but that has since fallen off a cliff which makes him even more intriguing. His best years were his first two in which he logged three interceptions in each season. After that his production dipped in the interception category. There's still a lot to like about Marshall and that USC - Rams connection is always intriguing.

Alternative pick: Daniel Wise, DL, Kansas

FIFTH ROUND

159th-overall pick: Will Harris, S, Boston College | 6-foot-2, 207 pounds

227364_3d4f63dcd92c427e944abe7098ef1421~mv2_d_3888_2592_s_4_2.webp

Boston College, and I've said this many times this week...is building something special in their secondary. John Johnson III, Justin Simmons, Isaac Yiadom and Kamrin Moore all speak for themselves. Will Harris will soon join them in the NFL and he could be reuniting with Johnson. The Rams met with Harris and wow did Harris really look smooth this week in Mobile. Why draft two safeties? This could easily be called a best player available type of pick but it will bolster the Rams depth and allow the Rams if they so choose to play with three safeties. Harris brings a lot to the table and with Gardner-Johnson's versatility he could also play the nickel if the Rams wanted to mix it up.

Alternative pick: Gardner Minshew II, QB, Washington

SIXTH ROUND

169th-overall pick (via Cincinnati): John Cominsky, EDGE, Charleston | 6-foot-5, 286 pounds

227364_c3109003203945efabf354bde86065f8~mv2_d_2000_1334_s_2.webp

The Rams met with the Charleston standout edge rusher at the Senior Bowl and here they would be able to add him late in the draft. Look, I don't see edge as the big-time need the way others do. When you look at the fact the Rams spent three draft picks last year on an edge defender and barely played any of them, you have to imagine the Rams will grab one or maybe even none. Now, in this scenario, the Rams bring back Dante Fowler Jr. and that's what I ultimately believe they will do. Cominsky might be more like John Franklin-Myers if anything but he's another pass rusher that you could really strike gold with. High motor player that might be one of those diamonds in the rough.

Alternative pick: Austin Bryant, EDGE, Clemson

190th-overall pick: Mark Fields, CB, Clemson | 5-foot-10, 186 pounds

227364_3bf74864732c4a9fa406318848bf8f3c~mv2.webp

He showed out all week long and flashed in the game as well, Mark Fields is one of my sleeper players in this class. A guy that wasn't utilized anywhere near he deserved to be utilized at Clemson. Fields excels as a man coverage cornerback and Jim Nagy of the Senior Bowl spoke on Fields and how the league scouts and coaches believed he was the best cover corner in the Senior Bowl. He flew up my board and looked like the best or at least one of the best corners in Mobile. He's going to fall in the draft because teams are going to question why he didn't get playing time.

The Rams already took Marshall but why not double-dip. Like previously mentioned, you are likely to lose Talib sooner than later, Peters has made the future cloudy, Sam Shields and Troy Hill might not be re-signed after the season. This would be a huge pickup in the sixth-round and could have an E.J. Gaines level of production if this happens. Fields did tell Downtown Rams that he met with the Rams "a lot of times" the interest must indeed be mutual.

Alternative pick: Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn

SEVEN ROUND

Received one compensatory pick from Cody Davis free agency loss

222nd-overall pick: Mavin Saunders, TE, Kansas | 6-foot-5, 256 pounds

227364_9fa3ebefce284986b5cecccc4c79bb8e~mv2.webp

The former Florida State four-star recruit has some serious ability as a pass catching tight end. He needs to get better as a blocker but as a situational rotational tight end this pick makes sense. Earlier, drafting Stetson's TE Donald Parham to be essentially a red zone weapon would have made sense. However, Mavin Saunders is a good enough prospect to beat out Johnny Mundt on the roster. The Rams have two tight end's they like in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett but they have shown interest in multiple tight ends earlier on. Watching Saunders at KU you instantly see a reliable red zone weapon with great size for the position. His biggest issue aside from blocking is long speed, that's simply not his game, but if you are looking for someone to come in and have sure hands and win a tough physical matchup, then Saunders might be your under-the-radar guy. It's the seventh round and Saunders has the upside to be a third-to-fourth round talent.

Alternative pick: Daniel Helm, TE, Duke

Unconfirmed compensatory pick: Kwadarrius Smith, WR/KR, Akron | 5-foot-9, 170 pounds

227364_25b0f7ec05a84b379d7995a5daec136b~mv2.webp

JoJo Natson could use a little competition in the return game. Insert the fastest man in college football, Kwadarrius "Kwad" Smith. Smith takes no time to go from 0 - to - 60. Smith's vision and elusiveness is what makes him a weapon and at the next level he could likely help in the receiving game as well. With an extra pick in the seventh round the Rams draft what could be a stud return man.

Alternative pick: Tony Brooks-James, RB, Oregon

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very creative and like not only some of the players selected but the positions. Might mix in a little Guard depth but great work :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
95th-overall: Khalen Saunders, DL, Western Illinois | 6-foot-0, 320 pounds

227364_f5357736807e4f88b9dfbaf715d73925~mv2.webp

Khalen Saunders had himself a week at the Senior Bowl and he's firmly in the mix for one of the top small-school prospects in this draft. It's going to be hard to even get Saunders here in the draft as he's likely going to be a day two pick after the combine but Saunders can bring so much to the table as an interior pass rusher and a run stuffer. Saunders is very athletic, he displayed that this week during the Senior Bowl practices as he did a back flip.

Saunders could fit right into that Ndamukong Suh role but he's big enough to play the nose tackle position next to Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, John Franklin-Myers and Morgan Fox. It's uncertain if Suh comes back regardless of a win or a loss in the Super Bowl but we do know that Saunders can help the Rams day one as well. He might be "undersized" but make no mistake, Saunders is going to be a problem at the next level.

Been seeing this guys name a lot lately.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1085570546744676352

View: https://twitter.com/BradKelly17/status/1089251018288889856

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
He is pretty slow out of his stance. He may be a player but not comparable to Donald

TexasRam

Legend
Nice start to a bunch of Rams mock drafts.

Anyone Defensive player named Khalil I approve. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGJ can play. Some people may not like him because he's a talker and a showboat, but he's hyper competitive, a very hard worker, and a leader. I'm a big fan of his game. I'm curious about how he'll test. He plays fast. In years past, he was a poor tackler who took bad angles, but with real coaching this year, he was outstanding. Do it all type of DB.

I'm not a big Tyree Jackson fan. When looking at developmental QBs, I prefer to look for guys who have flaws that drop them below where they should go in my opinion. The big, toolsy QB prospects tend to get elevate above where they should go.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not a big Tyree Jackson fan. When looking at developmental QBs, I prefer to look for guys who have flaws that drop them below where they should go in my opinion. The big, toolsy QB prospects tend to get elevate above where they should go.

That's a valid point, but I like this kid. He's big, somewhat mobile, can make all the throws and going to Buffalo makes me feel very good what he offers from the neck up. Accuracy will be the big question and I expect Wes Phillips to be the new QB Coach of the Los Angeles Rams, so I'm sure that Wes will be given a project and it very well could be the Buffalo Bull alum, however, with his size and if Jackson has a good combine, he could go a tad higher, which as @jrry32 points out, would make another QB fall into the Rams lap.

@jakebogen95 usually not a fan of trades, but the Rams have proven they will make them and your scenario's are realistic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a valid point, but I like this kid. He's big, somewhat mobile, can make all the throws and going to Buffalo makes me feel very good what he offers from the neck up. Accuracy will be the big question and I expect Wes Phillips to be the new QB Coach of the Los Angeles Rams, so I'm sure that Wes will be given a project and it very well could be the Buffalo Bull alum, however, with his size and if Jackson has a good combine, he could go a tad higher, which as @jrry32 points out, would make another QB fall into the Rams lap.

@jakebogen95 usually not a fan of trades, but the Rams have proven they will make them and your scenario's are realistic.

I don't like inaccurate QBs with elongated throwing motions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't like inaccurate QBs with elongated throwing motions.

I know you don't, so I will await your mock down the road and see what QB you like...I don't like small QB's that are stationary, so let's find one that can move and is accurate with a compact motion.

Ryan Finley could drop, but I doubt it, he's very accurate...Jarrett Stidham, perhaps?

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know you don't, so I will await your mock down the road and see what QB you like...I don't like small QB's that are stationary, so let's find one that can move and is accurate with a compact motion.

Ryan Finley could drop, but I doubt it, he's very accurate...Jarrett Stidham, perhaps?
I wouldn't touch Finley.

In order of preference

Tyree Jackson
Brett Rypien
Gardner Minshew II
Jordan Ta'amu
Jarrett Stidham

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't touch Finley.

In order of preference

Tyree Jackson
Brett Rypien
Gardner Minshew II
Jordan Ta'amu
Jarrett Stidham

Stidham is gifted, but I heard that his teammates hate him. Ta'amu flashed to me when I watched Ole Miss, but I noted some inconsistencies in those games. I haven't begun formally evaluating anyone. But I did watch Tyree Jackson when it looked like he was going to transfer. I didn't like the accuracy or throwing motion. I felt like he needed another year in college.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Stidham is gifted, but I heard that his teammates hate him. Ta'amu flashed to me when I watched Ole Miss, but I noted some inconsistencies in those games. I haven't begun formally evaluating anyone. But I did watch Tyree Jackson when it looked like he was going to transfer. I didn't like the accuracy or throwing motion. I felt like he needed another year in college.
Not looked at any prospects yet, this season isn't over...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don’t think any of them will turn out to be good. I hope McVay and Snead can dig up a different possibility for back up QB, if they cut Mannion.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Get busy @jrry32!!! Just this thread alone has helped me look past the debacle that was Sunday.
btw, I liked the film on CG-J. Rangy FS type guy, great tackling skills, and by golly, that boy took on an LT & edge rushed like a stud. Decent size. Plays fast, but not so sure about speed: anyone know his 40 time? he adjusted real well to a deep ball in one highlight, but it'd help if he can slow down Tyreek Hill.
Instead of a QB or a mid-round EDGE, I think we need to be looking for NT's & maybe 3-4 DE's. I love JFM, he needs a bit more time but I think he's gonna be good for us in '19. Suh will be gone. Brockers may be cut - I want the Rams to keep him but the 10mil savings is almost too much. now.... if he gets back up in wt & is willing to be our NT.... I think he does well in that role. I think a F/A NT would be nice, but barring that, we need help in that area.
So, Saunders might be a good DE / NT choice, I like that pick to rotate in w/ Brockers. Ya he doesn't have the elite explosion Donald has, so they're not comparable, but you can see some nice swim moves & swift footwork for a guy his size. VERY strong, saw him just tossing guys a couple times. AD was playing at 270??? this dude's 320, and can play the middle with plus hands & footwork.
As for EDGE, with Fowler staying (he's got to now) and Obo waiting in the wings, and Ebu, I think we're ok there.
With Malcom B returning, I think we can let CJA go - he's just too one-dimensional for us, and (apparently) teams know how to stop him now when he's in. But that said, I wouldn't mind a late round RB that can get to the edge like Gurley & keep our offensive game plan moving along.
Instead, somewhere in these picks, we've GOT to get ILB help. Hanks seemed OK, but I'd have to see more tape of him taking on & shedding blocks - his highlights were a bit flukey - ya he got that INT off his ankles, but I wanna see him fight thru traffic & make a stop. His game vs MN was not bad, but he was mainly playing WSLB in a 4-3. I don't see much difference between him & Barron, plus they're both former DB's. Shame Kiser can't be a little faster.

So, I'm sorry so long, briefly my thoughts on this draft Jake:
CG-J - yes all day
Saunders - yep yep
Hanks - meh
Iman - yep (reminds me a bit of Talib)
Harris - yep (nice b/u for JJ)
Cominsky - pass
Fields - ? (smallish, but maybe?)
Mavin - ? (no highlights)
Kwadarrius - wow, ok, this kid has some real WR skills. Nice flyer pick.

edit: forgot the QB lol. I'll defer on that one. He makes nice throws, but ya he looks slow - not as bad as Tebow but his footwork looks like Foles' - but I'm no QB expert.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Notes: Traded away 32nd-overall to the Cincinnati Bengals for their 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks.

I don't know enough about any of the college players since I really don't follow college football, but I like what I quoted above ;)

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about trading for more picks in the draft, link below. Unfortunately, it's behind the paywall, but if anyone reading this has a WSJ subscription and would be willing to post the article here, I promise not to tell :LOL:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/behavi...ke-champs-of-the-cleveland-browns-11549060534

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get busy @jrry32!!! Just this thread alone has helped me look past the debacle that was Sunday.
btw, I liked the film on CG-J. Rangy FS type guy, great tackling skills, and by golly, that boy took on an LT & edge rushed like a stud. Decent size. Plays fast, but not so sure about speed: anyone know his 40 time? he adjusted real well to a deep ball in one highlight, but it'd help if he can slow down Tyreek Hill.
Instead of a QB or a mid-round EDGE, I think we need to be looking for NT's & maybe 3-4 DE's. I love JFM, he needs a bit more time but I think he's gonna be good for us in '19. Suh will be gone. Brockers may be cut - I want the Rams to keep him but the 10mil savings is almost too much. now.... if he gets back up in wt & is willing to be our NT.... I think he does well in that role. I think a F/A NT would be nice, but barring that, we need help in that area.
So, Saunders might be a good DE / NT choice, I like that pick to rotate in w/ Brockers. Ya he doesn't have the elite explosion Donald has, so they're not comparable, but you can see some nice swim moves & swift footwork for a guy his size. VERY strong, saw him just tossing guys a couple times. AD was playing at 270??? this dude's 320, and can play the middle with plus hands & footwork.
As for EDGE, with Fowler staying (he's got to now) and Obo waiting in the wings, and Ebu, I think we're ok there.
With Malcom B returning, I think we can let CJA go - he's just too one-dimensional for us, and (apparently) teams know how to stop him now when he's in. But that said, I wouldn't mind a late round RB that can get to the edge like Gurley & keep our offensive game plan moving along.
Instead, somewhere in these picks, we've GOT to get ILB help. Hanks seemed OK, but I'd have to see more tape of him taking on & shedding blocks - his highlights were a bit flukey - ya he got that INT off his ankles, but I wanna see him fight thru traffic & make a stop. His game vs MN was not bad, but he was mainly playing WSLB in a 4-3. I don't see much difference between him & Barron, plus they're both former DB's. Shame Kiser can't be a little faster.

So, I'm sorry so long, briefly my thoughts on this draft Jake:
CG-J - yes all day
Saunders - yep yep
Hanks - meh
Iman - yep (reminds me a bit of Talib)
Harris - yep (nice b/u for JJ)
Cominsky - pass
Fields - ? (smallish, but maybe?)
Mavin - ? (no highlights)
Kwadarrius - wow, ok, this kid has some real WR skills. Nice flyer pick.

edit: forgot the QB lol. I'll defer on that one. He makes nice throws, but ya he looks slow - not as bad as Tebow but his footwork looks like Foles' - but I'm no QB expert.
Appreciate the read brother. I can assure you, you need to watch Hanks. He's fun!