Post Senior Bowl Quality Over Quantity Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Free Agency
Outgoing: Salary cap cuts: Courtland Finnegan, Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells.
Returning: Rodger Saffold. 4-5 years at $5 million per, $12 million guaranteed.
Incoming: Soon to be cap cut Titans S Michael Griffin

1-1) Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville*
This assumes the kid puts comes in around 6’2”, and puts on 15 pounds, and the Owner/Head Coach falls in love with him as the face of the Texans franchise.

1-2) St. Louis Rams - JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina*
clowney1-300x224.jpg

No brainer selection, IMO. Minus a blockbuster offer, IF Clowney is still on the board, the Rams should simply make the pick and work him into the rotation. A 4 DE set with (Long, Hayes, Clowney, & Quinn) would be a nightmare for opposing teams on passing downs. Eugene Sims and his 5 sacks in 4 seasons becomes trade bait.

TRADE: St. Louis Rams trade the #13 & #44 overall selections to the Atlanta Falcons for the #6 overall selection.

(Got this idea from several Falcons fans on their board desperately hoping the Falcons move back for DT Aaron Donald. The Rams are usually the main team mentioned in such a deal)

1-6) Greg Robinson, OL, Auburn* (from Falcons)
1237848.jpg

Kid starts at LG (ala HOF OTs Odgen/Hinton) while being groomed to eventually replace Jake Long within the next 2-3 seasons. With Robinson and a re-signed Rodger Saffold the Rams should be able to run the football anytime the want if the backs pick the right holes. And the play action game should be vastly improved.

3-75) Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
1264639.jpg

Must to the dismay of many, this mock doesn’t net WR Sammy Watkins. But here I keep it in the family with his half-brother. It’s been reported that Watkins (who has pretty good size), turned some heads and was having a pretty good showing in Senior Bowl practices this week prior to going down with an ankle injury.

TRADE: The Rams swap their 4th and 6th round selections with some team to move up a few spots.

4th) Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
andre-williams.jpg

Most will hate the trade and the selection. But, IF this kid is still on the board going into day three, I’d hope that the organization would be willing to jump up and nab a perfect fit for a physical run first offense. Zac Stacy insurance here.

5th) Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
2012-01-10T022435Z_01_NEW414_RTRIDSP_3_FBC-NEWS-300x216.jpg

This very underrated 5th year senior has good size, decent speed, a wide catch radius, and can block with the best of them. Pretty good fit for the Rams offense, IMO.

7th) Conner Shaw, QB, South Carolina
connor-shaw-p1.jpg

Shaw doesn’t have the measurables that most teams look for but 24 Tds vs. 1 INT this year isn’t anything to sneeze at either. At the very worst, he could be a nice wildcat option for the team to help open things up from time to time.

7th) Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana
TDG_9574.jpg

Coach Fisher uses his Montana connections to learn more about and nab their top player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What happened to our 6th? I love the first 2 picks. After that...ehhhh. I don't know about Williams because we already have our power HB...I feel like we should be looking for more of a slasher type that can contribute on passing downs like Charles Sims or James White. I don't really know how I feel about drafting a WR in the mid to late rounds but if I did, Norwood wouldn't be my guy. But that's just me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What happened to our 6th? I love the first 2 picks. After that...ehhhh. I don't know about Williams because we already have our power HB...I feel like we should be looking for more of a slasher type that can contribute on passing downs like Charles Sims or James White. I don't really know how I feel about drafting a WR in the mid to late rounds but if I did, Norwood wouldn't be my guy. But that's just me.
The 4th rounder was used to move up for Williams. Sure, the Rams already have their power back, but I went with quality over quantity with this mock and Williams would be a 4th round steal, IMO. Might even be better than Stacy. Passing downs? I haven't given up on Pead who should be the teams 3rd down back going forward, IMO.

wrstdude

Rookie
Appreciate your reasoning, but any draft that includes a RB makes me balk. There are two power backs on the roster in Stacy & Cunningham and if you're still counting on Pead then I don't see the point in drafting one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Is it just me or did Robinson's first step back look EXTREMELY slow? It seemed that any time they speed rushed him, the guy was passed him before he took that first step. Even on some of the running plays he looked to be seriously out of position.

Clowney looks to be freaking scary though. Can he play from the left?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just don't think we need to trade up unless we are trying to get back into the 1st round. I'd love to see us trade down on both our 1st round picks then use the gained picks to move back into the bottom quarter of the 1st round to nab our third stud of the draft.