Post Combine: Top 32 Prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 95debd0c60

Luck_Feature_420_310.jpg

Stanford QB Andrew Luck is widely considered the top player in the draft but is being pushed by Baylor QB Robert Griffin III by some teams.

With the Scouting Combine in the books and pro day season beginning, stlouisrams.com takes a look at the top 32 prospects in this year’s draft.

These rankings are based on information collected in the past two months from conversations with scouts, coaches and players. They are meant to represent the players with the most talent and in no way reflects a predicted draft order for April. These rankings are those of this website and do not in any way reflect the views of the St. Louis Rams.

1. QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor – Productive, exciting, intelligent, Griffin is the total package a team looks for in a franchise quarterback.

2. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford – Pretty much all of the qualities of Griffin though he’s more versed in a NFL style offense. Doesn’t quite have the electric skill package of Griffin but it’s close.

3. OT Matt Kalil, USC – From strong bloodlines but is a very polished and athletic tackle capable of holding down the blind side for the next decade.

4. CB Morris Claiborne, LSU – As smooth and gifted a corner to come out in years. He’ll instantly help lockdown one side of the field.

5. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama – The rare back with the skill set to stay on the field for all three downs and without so much tread on the tires that he’ll be able to do it for a long, long time.

6. WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State – While he still has to run the 40 at his pro day, Blackmon sits above the rest because his physical skills, sticky hands and run after the catch ability.

7. LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College – One of the most wildly productive players in this draft combined his impressive game film with a strong workout. The type of player who could make 100 tackles as a rookie.

8. DT Michael Brockers, LSU – Combine numbers weren’t great but those are overrated. One of the most uniquely gifted players in the draft in terms of size and potential. Just scratching the surface on player he could be.

9. OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama – Forget his underwhelming workout numbers, Upshaw has what it takes to be the next great pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB.

10. DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina – The best pure athlete among the defensive ends in this draft. Can play on the edge as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB.

11. G David DeCastro, Stanford – Won’t wow anyone but is one of the most fundamentally sound and well rounded linemen in the draft.

12. CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama – In terms of pure skill as a corner, there aren’t many players better. Off the field concerns will drive him down in the draft but you’d be hard pressed to find a more gifted player on the field.

13. DT Dontari Poe, Memphis – A monster defensive tackle with outstanding athletic ability for his size. His combine certainly helped put him on the radar but concerns about consistency might keep him out of the top 10.

14. DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State – An explosive athlete with all the tools to become a top notch interior pass rusher in the NFL.

15. OT Riley Reiff, Iowa – Another in a line of solid, productive tackles. Likely better off on the right side but brings it consistently.

16. G Cordy Glenn, Georgia – The offensive version of Poe. A massive man with excellent athletic ability. Projected as a pile driver on the interior but might be athletic enough to play right tackle in the league.

17. WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame – Size and speed package make him an intriguing prospect. Has a few off the field questions and consistency concerns.

18. S Mark Barron, Alabama – A hard hitting, well schooled safety with the ability to be a premiere in the box player.

19. C Peter Konz, Wisconsin – Another in a long line of talented Badgers linemen. Not as physically dominant as some of his predecessors but intelligence and functional strength could make him instant starter.

20. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama – Probably strictly a zone corner at the NFL level but in the right system, he should be a good one.

21. DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina – As physically dominant as any player in the draft but he disappears far too often. More consistency would make him a potential star.

22. DT Devon Still, Penn State – Similar to Coples, has the physical skills but needs to bring it on a more consistent basis.

23. DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State – A really good athlete in the middle with natural pass rush skills. Mind tends to wander a bit and he takes the occasional play off.

24. LB Donta Hightower, Alabama – Not the fastest or quickest but excellent football instincts with physical strength. Finds a way to make plays.

25. G Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin – Pure strength and physical power with a nasty streak that should plug him into a starting position from day one.

26. WR Kendall Wright, Baylor – Lack of speed at combine was a surprise but he plays much faster on the field. Needs to improve physical conditioning.

27. QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M – A former receiver with only two years of experience under center but has good athletic skills and strong upside long term.

28. CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana – A long, lanky athlete with no fear who isn’t afraid to come up and hit in run support and jam receivers at the line.

29. T Jonathan Martin, Stanford – Doesn’t have the strength to be a dominant run blocker but a good athlete with light feet that should be solid in pass protection right away.

30. RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech – A fast, quick athlete with the skills to take it the distance on any play.

31. DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois – Only had one year of production but showed high upside pass rush skills and could probably play with his hand down in a 4-3 or standing up in a 3-4.

32. RB Lamar Miller, Miami – Top end speed combined with size makes him a potential top runner at NFL level.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
IMO all his DTs are out of order.

I dont understand why guys continue to rate Brockers so high after a miserable combine performance. If a guy dosent have the stats, isnt great on tape consistently but flashes occasionally, and doesnt have the measurable, how can he be a top 10 talent?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
libertadrocks said:

I dont understand why guys continue to rate Brockers so high after a miserable combine performance. If a guy dosent have the stats, isnt great on tape consistently but flashes occasionally, and doesnt have the measurable, how can he be a top 10 talent?
Jerry Rice was the same didn't wow scounts some WRs just know how to get open Micheal Crabtree wasn't all that fast nor was Aquan Bolden..Justin isn't a blazer but it a game changer just cuz of his physically and YAC and smooooth hands lol

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Oh ya Dez Bryant is a PERFECT example the reason he wasn't drafted top 10 was bc of his off field issuses they both have very similar talent

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
BuiltRamTough said:
libertadrocks said:

Jerry Rice was the same didn't wow scounts some WRs just know how to get open Micheal Crabtree wasn't all that fast nor was Aquan Bolden..Justin isn't a blazer but it a game changer just cuz of his physically and YAC and smooooth hands lol

I was talking about Brockers not Blackmon.

I dont think Blackmon is a top 10 talent either tho. He is a 10 - 20 type guy. I just dont see the potential expected performance that comes with being a top ten pick. For that reason I have Floyd rated higher than Blackmon. Floyd has the higher ceiling IMO. He bigger, faster, has good hands, and is a killer run blocker.

I felt similar about Crabtree when he came out. I just didnt see "it". I dont think comparing Blackmon and Crabtree supports your arguement as he has been largely ineffective in the NFL.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Oops sorry im a truck driver 18 wheeler I just log on with my phone only Crabtree was kinda a bad example :sick: but I hear you I it would of been so awesome if last years WR draft class was this years man or Calvin Johnson was born a couple of years later loll

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
BuiltRamTough said:
Oops sorry im a truck driver 18 wheeler I just log on with my phone only Crabtree was kinda a bad example :sick: but I hear you I it would of been so awesome if last years WR draft class was this years man or Calvin Johnson was born a couple of years later loll

There are a ton of talented wideouts in this year's class. You have high-profile receivers like Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright, but guys like Sanu, McNutt, Hill, Marvin Jones, Toon, Streeter, and Hilton could also step into the NFL and contribute immediately. That's not even counting talented, but troubled players like Jeffery, Dwight Jones, and Rainey. This is one of the deepest classes I've seen in a while; the only one that's deeper is defensive tackle.

Anyway, I disagree with Trumaine Johnson and Jerel Worthy being ranked that high. Worthy disappears way too often for my liking, and Johnson's a small-school player with off-the-field issues.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
libertadrocks said:

I agree with you on Brockers, he is way over rated but I hope somebody ( not the Rams ) does take him in the top 10.

superfan24

Starter
libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:
libertadrocks said:

I dont think Blackmon is a top 10 talent either tho. He is a 10 - 20 type guy. I just dont see the potential expected performance that comes with being a top ten pick. For that reason I have Floyd rated higher than Blackmon. Floyd has the higher ceiling IMO. He bigger, faster, has good hands, and is a killer run blocker.

I felt similar about Crabtree when he came out. I just didnt see "it". I dont think comparing Blackmon and Crabtree supports your arguement as he has been largely ineffective in the NFL.

Libertas is spot on with Floyd with all his football skills. His off the field issues which are completely 100% over with keep on being questioned for some reason. That's why the national media gets kinda annoying, they don't know the real story sometimes. Would rather have him than blackmon.
Again dream scenario post-combine would be Claiborne at 4 and Floyd at 22 praying he drops there.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:
libertadrocks said:

Blackmon plays bigger and faster than his numbers would indicate. He works hard on every play and makes plays after the catch

Floyd is strong and fast, but where's the production? Given his athletic talent I would expect him to have better production in college. I know he didn't have the greatest QB out there, but he still was not making plays the way Blackmon was.

The reason by Brockers is rated higher is based on tape. The same reason Blackmon is rated higher. I obviously have no way of knowing who will be better, but I believe at this point that Blackmon is a better prospect than Floyd and definitely is worthy of a top 10 choice.

superfan24

Starter
brokeu91 said:
libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:
libertadrocks said:

Blackmon plays bigger and faster than his numbers would indicate. He works hard on every play and makes plays after the catch

Floyd is strong and fast, but where's the production? Given his athletic talent I would expect him to have better production in college. I know he didn't have the greatest QB out there, but he still was not making plays the way Blackmon was.

The reason by Brockers is rated higher is based on tape. The same reason Blackmon is rated higher. I obviously have no way of knowing who will be better, but I believe at this point that Blackmon is a better prospect than Floyd and definitely is worthy of a top 10 choice.

Not arguing cause Blackmon was fantastic in college from what I saw, but I don't know if he can do the same things in the NFL.
Floyd was constantly double-tripled teamed mostly because ND didn't really have a great 2nd or 3rd option.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
brokeu91 said:

Not arguing cause Blackmon was fantastic in college from what I saw, but I don't know if he can do the same things in the NFL.
Floyd was constantly double-tripled teamed mostly because ND didn't really have a great 2nd or 3rd option.

Where's Floyd's production? He had 2 straight 1000 yard season, catching 100 passes last year, and scored 21 TDs his last two years combined, despite having lackluster QB play and like Brokeu said being double teamed consistently.

To me Floyds college production is more impressive than Blackmon's. Go back and look at the stats OSU's number 1 WR puts up. Every year they're inflated.

Ill be the first to say Blackmon's catch radius is stupid good, but if he cant gain separation and isnt physically dominating, which is what I question, that wont mater.

I saw Crabtree play live in college and I have seen Blackmon play live in college. I didnt see "It" in either of them. I would still rate Blackmon above Crabtree but IMO he is no top 5 pick.

WRs drafted in the top 5 come with the expectations they can be the next Andre, Megatron, Fitz etc. I just dont see that.