Post Combine/No Trades Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, I decided to do something different. I won't be doing trades, and I don't have Griffin, Mata'afa or J.C. Jackson in this mock, so it'll be something new entirely.

Also, I just got word of the Ogletree trade, so I'll be adding in the picks from that. Ready?

Cut:

Tavon Austin.
Mark Barron.

(I love Tavon as a player and a person, but the fact of the matter is that he simply costs too much. Barron is another cap casualty, as he doesn't particularly fit a Wade Phillips scheme.)

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - six years, twenty million per year.
Lamarcus Joyner - franchise tag, re-signed (five years, nine million per year.)
Nickell Robey-Coleman - five years, five million per year.
Jake McQuaide - two years - two million per year.
John Sullivan - one year, two million.
Cornelius Lucas - one year, veteran minimum.
Troy Hill - ERFA
Malcolm Brown - ERFA
Matt Longacre - RFA

(This assumes that we can sign Joyner, NRC, and Donald, but let Tru and Watkins go. McQuaide is obvious, Sullivan is kept as a vet presence, Lucas provides cheap depth, and the rest are under team control.)

Free Agent Signings:

Allen Robinson - five years, eleven million per year.
Avery Williamson - five years, seven million per year.
Beau Allen - four years, six million per year.
Johnathan Joseph - one year, seven million.
Jude Adjei-Barimah - one year, one million.

(Main piece is Robinson of the Jaguars. When healthy, he's one of the best deep threats in the game. He's also a 6'3" monster in the red zone. Williamson is an inside linebacker from the Titans who is good in all facets of the game. Allen of the Eagles is a solid nose tackle who will help our run defense tremendously. Joseph of the Texans takes a lesser contract because of his age, but he's still got something left in the tank. Adjei-Barimah of the Buccaneers is a young cornerback who is coming off an ACL tear and a PED suspension. He has a ton of potential, but he's a gamble. In any case, he increases the cornerback depth.)

Draft:

#23 overall - Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State. (6'4", 256 lbs.)

(Remember back in the 2017 draft where one of our targets - if Donald never fell - was C.J. Mosley? Here's our own C.J. Mosley, except better. Vander Esch has insane athleticism for his size and covers like a safety. He's just as good at stuffing the run, rushing the passer, doing whatever needs doing.)

#87 overall - Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia. (6'6", 250 lbs.)

(Could Carter go higher than this? Yeah, but he needed to prove that he could put all of his considerable tools together, and that didn't happen until his last year in college. He also needs to put bulk on his frame because his build right now is surprisingly skinny. What we're getting from this third round pick is an athletic pass-rusher. Not to the standard of a Harold Landry, but still pretty damn good.)

#111 overall - Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College. (6'1", 190 lbs.)

(Yiadom's comparison on NFL.com is actually Bashaud Breeland. That immediately caused me to look into him more, and I'm quite glad that I did. Like Breeland, Yiadom is a press corner at heart, and he's a willing tackler. For now, he fits on special teams, where he's been great at.)

#135 overall - Kemoko Turay, OLB, Rutgers. (6'5", 252 lbs.)

(Injuries are the only reason why Turay - who dominated the East/West Shrine game - falls here. He's an explosive pass-rusher who needs work, but can eventually be groomed as a starter.)

#160 overall - Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut. (6'4", 315 lbs.)

(Fatukasi is a mountain of a man who should fit between nose tackle and five technique behind Brockers and Allen. He's an excellent run stuffer who has shown the ability to collapse the pocket.)

#176 overall - Dane Cruikshank, FS, Arizona. (6'1", 206 lbs.)

(Cruikshank fits at free safety behind Joyner, taking the role that Cody Davis filled. He needs work in coverage, but he has incredible ball skills.)

#183 overall - Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi. (5'9", 195 lbs.)

(Small, but elusive and a hell of a pass-catcher, Smith dominated his competition, and looks to fit the Dunbar role.)

#194 overall - Alex Cappa, OT/OG, Humboldt State. (6'7", 305 lbs.)

(Cappa is our Whitworth successor. He's from a small school, so he'll need time to mature, but I think that he could - with time in the weight room - eventually take over for big Whit.)

#195 overall - Jamil Demby, OG, Maine. (6'5", 335 lbs.)

(Demby is another small school lineman who needs time to mature. Thankfully, we have the offensive line able to do that. I could see him taking over for Brown or Saffold.)

#196 overall - Timon Parris, OG/OT, Stony Brook. (6'5", 320 lbs.)

(Parris is yet another small school lineman who needs to mature behind our offensive line.)

Roster:

QB - Jared Goff, Sean Mannion.
RB - Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Ito Smith, Sam Rogers.
TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway.
WR - Allen Robinson, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Austin Blythe, Alex Cappa, Jamil Demby, Timon Parris, Jake Eldrenkamp.

DL - Aaron Donald, Beau Allen, Michael Brockers, Tanzel Smart, Ethan Westbrooks, Morgan Fox, Folorunso Fatukasi.
LB - Samson Ebukam, Avery Williamson, Leighton Vander Esch, Lorenzo Carter, Kemoko Turay, Matt Longacre, Cory Littleton, Bryce Hager/UDFA.
DB - Marcus Peters, Johnathan Joseph, Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson III, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Isaac Yiadom, Dane Cruikshank, Kevin Peterson, Jude Adjei-Barimah/Troy HIll, Marqui Christian/Blake Countess.

K - Greg Zuerlein.
P - Johnny Hekker.
LS - Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts, comments, critiques, all are welcome!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think your best mock to date. Well done. Might be a little early on Leighton Vander Esch for me, but that's a solid LB'er corps you have built. Nice job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very good mock! I love LVE. I think he's going to be a great ILB/MLB for somebody. He can truly do it all. I think you're underpaying A-Rob a bit, but you could probably take it off of Joseph's contract.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I would rather have Rashaan Evans than Vander Esch. Easy to fall in love with the athleticism of LVE, but Evans showed better mental processing ability when it comes to diagnosing the run and eluding blockers to get to the ball carrier.

Would love to get Lorenzo Carter in the 3rd but I just don't see him falling that far.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think your best mock to date. Well done. Might be a little early on Leighton Vander Esch for me, but that's a solid LB'er corps you have built. Nice job.

Thank you. I believe that it's about right where LVE should go, though. He's a lot like Urlacher.

Very good mock! I love LVE. I think he's going to be a great ILB/MLB for somebody. He can truly do it all. I think you're underpaying A-Rob a bit, but you could probably take it off of Joseph's contract.

Thank you. LVE's become one of my favorites to watch. Imagine him with Shaquem Griffin patrolling the middle of the field for us. And yeah, I guess that I can get Joseph's contract to take a bit less for A-Rob, but with the news of Shields along with possibly Talib, we may not need a corner.

I would rather have Rashaan Evans than Vander Esch. Easy to fall in love with the athleticism of LVE, but Evans showed better mental processing ability when it comes to diagnosing the run and eluding blockers to get to the ball carrier.

Would love to get Lorenzo Carter in the 3rd but I just don't see him falling that far.

Evans is another good one, but I think he goes before LVE and after Edmunds. And I admit that we may not get Carter in the third, but there are reasons to think that he could fall that far.

I'd sign up for this....

Thank you! Considering it doesn't have my favorite three (Griffin, Mata'afa, and J.C. Jackson), I'm really thankful for your compliment.

Nothing like McGregor signing off on this draft. :D

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Appreciate the effort. I much prefer these mocks without trades.
However...

1) I'm just not as high on vander esch as most. I'm bothered by the one criticism of his game--struggles to get off blocks. That is exactly what the problem has been with our last two MLBs. we need somebody with more instinct, even if it means a little less athleticism.

2) The Rams really should be looking for an OT. I wouldn't wait so long. We need a guy who can potentially start next year.

3) I do like the idea of a developmental FS. He can replace Davis as both a backup to Joyner and play on STs. There's no guarantee Joyner will sign a long term deal and I wouldn't want a repeat of the TJohnson situation and be forced to franchise him a second time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they somehow were to get LVE and Carter with their first two picks I would probably go streaking shortly thereafter. Seriously. That's how effin happy that first two day draft haul would make me.

Both are very underrated IMO. Fine mock there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When's the next one?

Oh, and you gotta find a way to get Tim Settle in there because we're getting him.

Bank on it.

Telling you. The same "spidey senses" that said we were getting Tavon Austin and Aaron Donald are telling me we draft Tim Settle.

I dunno how, but that's what it seems like to me.

Anyway, I like Lorenzo Carter (he may be faster in some respects than Landry) and wouldn't be upset at all if we took him.

Love LVE, too, but don't know how we get him and Settle and I'm so sure we're getting Settle, some way, some how that when I do a mock later, he's gonna be there.

Oh, and we're keeping Tavon...so there's that...

But excellent mock and I look forward to the next one.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
like it ...no room for to spend a 6th on troy apke ? our new sepcial teams demon (al la cody davis )