Possible trade price to move up w/ Ravens. My thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Does anyone else think the price to move up from 15 to 6th (Ravens) could simply cost us a 2nd,3rd and maybe a 2nd in 2017. Assuming at 6th only 1 QB (Cle) has been chosen.

Or am I out to lunch on this trade value thought??

W/ a ton of DL talent, Ramsey, Tunsil and maybe Treadwell we might not need to trade the farm to land one of the top 3 Qbs. Next week will tell us a ton value wise :cool:(n)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone else think the price to move up from 15 to 6th (Ravens) could simply cost us a 2nd,3rd and maybe a 2nd in 2017. Assuming at 6th only 1 QB (Cle) has been chosen.

W/ a ton of DL talent, Ramsey, Tunsil and maybe Treadwell we might not need to trade the farm to land one of the top 3 Qbs. Next week will tell us a ton value wise :cool:(n)

I've been saying for a while that on the normal trade value chart #15, #43 (the Eagles' 2nd rounder) and a third next year would likely be enough, IF the Ravens are willing to trade and if there isn't too much competition. It might take a bit more if the Ravens have somebody they like a lot but not love fall to them, or if other teams are bidding also. Since it would be for a top QB prospect, I doubt it would be much less than that - if trading up were a bargain for a QB then other teams would enter the bidding war.

If it got intense, it could require both 2nds this year, though I'd hope that Snead could finagle a lower level pick coming back to the Rams in that case - i.e something like #15, #43 and #45 going to the Ravens, and #6 and a third or fourth coming back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It sounds reasonable but reason has nothing to do with the fluidity of the draft.
The only reason the Rams would make that trade would be if the QB (or player) desired was available once Baltimore is on the clock. If its a QB, they could likely see competition from San Fran and Philly for that spot and could drive that price tag up big time.
Conversely, if say Goff is the apple of Philly/San Fran eye, and he is gone, they may not have interest in moving up and the Rams (in theory) may not need to overspend. Quite fluid depending on how it goes. I think if Bosa is available at 2, Cleveland takes him and that could set the 1st round in motion

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It sounds reasonable but reason has nothing to do with the fluidity of the draft.
The only reason the Rams would make that trade would be if the QB (or player) desired was available once Baltimore is on the clock. If its a QB, they could likely see competition from San Fran and Philly for that spot and could drive that price tag up big time.
Conversely, if say Goff is the apple of Philly/San Fran eye, and he is gone, they may not have interest in moving up and the Rams (in theory) may not need to overspend. Quite fluid depending on how it goes. I think if Bosa is available at 2, Cleveland takes him and that could set the 1st round in motion
You get the " Hit the nail on the head" post award.
I don't see how the Browns pass on drafting and busting another QB. It's what they do.
The real ? is if the Titans get a big offer to trade down from a QB hungry team. If they do it might be a trade up with the Ravens for Lynch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The real ? is if the Titans get a big offer to trade down from a QB hungry team. If they do it might be a trade up with the Ravens for Lynch.

Yeah man, if that happens two QBs off the board in the first two picks suddenly there is no way in hell that Lynch gets to 15. At that point it's "how much do we like him in comparison to xxxx."

This is why I say again: get the guy you covet even if it costs more. If Goff is the guy, just pay that other top pick and get your QB position settled. If, on the other hand, they covet Lynch's size and ability, ok then I'm good with it. Just go all in man, on whatever your plan is.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd also pick up the phone and call Dallas to see what they would want. The worst they can do is say no.

A lot of people think they will draft a QB, and I certainly think that would be smart for them. But having Romo means they could draft a guy in the 2nd or so and develop him while Romo plays next year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I posted this in another thread.

My thinking has been to trade up to the 5, or 6 spot, if our guy is there. According to the trade value chart, we could get there with our pick, and both of our 2nd rounders easily. Our 1st, one of our 2nds, and our 3rd and 4th work too, but that's about right on the money.

I'd like to keep at least one of the 2nd round picks, or end up with two 3rds at least.

I'd also give up our 1, a 3rd, and a future 1. Something like that.

Also, we will already have had all these scenario discussions with these teams in mostly in place, before the draft. Of course, it will change if we end up in a bidding war.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, the Rams could really go all in and make Mannion part of any trade deal.

He's EASILY as good as any except maybe Wentz and Goff. I like Lynch's arm better, but no one's going to convince me that Lynch's head is farther along that Mannion's. Not close.

Which, if Mannion with a year as a Pro NFL QB would essentially be at worst the #3 QB in this draft...

So... if the Rams really wanted to go all in for someone like, say, Wentz... they could package Mannion and just be honest. Teams actually do that.

"Look, Cleveland. We like this Mannion kid. He's fantastic. Does everything right. Everything we ask him to do. If it weren't for this one kid we want, we wouldn't be making this call, but the guy we want fits us like the missing piece of a puzzle. It really feels to us like he's our guy. But we also know you need a QB and we know that you may not be enamored with what's at 15. Well, lemme just tell you that this Mannion kid is pretty special. If we didn't have a pretty specific vision for what we want, we'd probably just pick the best guy and get our next Rookie of the Year. I mean, we've been pretty successful the past couple of years doing that, right? And it was true. Even as a rookie, when we put the new offense in, the first guy who had it down wasn't the two vets... it was Sean. It was this rook. I'm telling you, if it wasn't for something specific we're looking for, we'd be rolling with this kid. And I'll also tell you that there's a few grumblings that we may be making a mistake because we know what we have and he's pretty special. Are you interested?"

Now, see, I think a call to Hue Jackson and the FO in Cleveland like that would get a TON of interest.

Do I want to dump Mannion? Hell NO.

But, if we had a chance to get Wentz... I'd say it'd be worth the risk. And yes, unlike others, I think Mannion has the chance to be special if developed.

Now, the cloud of the picnic says that Fisher won't be 1/10th of a percent as creative as any of us are being and they'll make a couple of lame calls and the QB sitch will be really sad going into this year. But it's the off-season, the season of hope. We got the whole season to grouse, right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd also pick up the phone and call Dallas to see what they would want. The worst they can do is say no.

A lot of people think they will draft a QB, and I certainly think that would be smart for them. But having Romo means they could draft a guy in the 2nd or so and develop him while Romo plays next year.

I could see Jerruh makin a deal with the Rams. And while they need a QB they do have Romo, so I think they would welcome a move down and more picks to rebuild the defense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I could see Jerruh makin a deal with the Rams. And while they need a QB they do have Romo, so I think they would welcome a move down and more picks to rebuild the defense.
I'm with ya.
I think both Dallas and Balt would be willing trade partners.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm with ya.
I think both Dallas and Balt would be willing trade partners.

I agree and Kroenke and Jerruh are now buddies. Maybe Stan can agree to buy more Texas real estate and promise Jerruh a cut of the profits in exchange for a sweetheart trade. I wonder if anything unofficial like that has ever been done involving draft trades. Owners love money and Stan can afford to part with some.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree and Kroenke and Jerruh are now buddies. Maybe Stan can agree to buy more Texas real estate and promise Jerruh a cut of the profits in exchange for a sweetheart trade. I wonder if anything unofficial like that has ever been done involving draft trades. Owners love money and Stan can afford to part with some.
I wouldn't rule anything out with those 2.
Dropping to 15 and adding picks seems to be what Dallas needs. They can get a stud RB and bolster their D.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's EASILY as good as any except maybe Wentz and Goff. I like Lynch's arm better, but no one's going to convince me that Lynch's head is farther along that Mannion's. Not close.

Which, if Mannion with a year as a Pro NFL QB would essentially be at worst the #3 QB in this draft...

You're not being realistic imo. Mannion was the #4 QB in a draft that was far weaker at the QB position.

You don't draft a QB for what they are. You draft them for what they can be. There's no chance that Mannion would go before Lynch. Lynch has top tier physical tools. Mannion doesn't. If Mannion was the prospect that Lynch is, he would have gone first round last year. Lynch's mind doesn't have to be further along at this point. Cam Newton's mind wasn't further along than Mannion's was...yet Newton was the #1 overall pick while Mannion was a late 3rd round pick.

Even with a year of sitting on a NFL bench, Mannion isn't near Lynch's caliber as a prospect.

I also highly doubt that Hue Jackson would be interested in Mannion.

nighttrain

Legend
Mannion could be our 3rd QB, assuming there is room for three. Case, rook, Mannion. Maybe rook beats out Keenum in camp
train

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Plus, Jerruh wanted the Rams to be successful in LA, so there's that too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I think it's too high a price for the #6 spot!! I might pay that for the #4 or #5 spots. But going by the current Trade Value chart ( at Draftek) flipping #1's and giving up just the 2nd and 3rd choices is 60 too much. Which is equal to a mid 4th round pick! And then you would through in a 2nd rounder from 2017! Not thanks!!