Positive Review of Barksdale's first start @ Right OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For those who do not read my usually boring detailed OL posts but are looking for anything positive to read on our Ram Team after last Sundays rotten XXXX! I got something you may want to know.

First allow me to say that most may know I have been a negative critic on the promise of OT Joe Barksdale making it as a good starter in the NFL. * I have been a advocate of drafting a OT high in the 2014 draft. * I was an advocate of that in this past yrs draft. * I have been a constant wet damp stinky ragging poster on this young man. Not any longer!

Yes, I know it was his only his first NFL start @ ORT. Yes, he did play heavy in the first two reg. season games @ ORT when Saffold was injured & it was not much to post about other that Blah! I should also recall his two starts @ OLT last yr in two bad nasty losses. Yes, he did have four pre season games where he also got a ton of experience @ both ORT & OLT posts but still nothing much to smile about. But I just reviewed the entire Dallas game & watched & re-watched Barksdale on every play....be advised I am :bign: :spz: on my review.

Hey Joe Barksdale (JB)you have caused me to eat my past posts on you & I am poking on the keyboard with my size 13 foot in my mouth. Kudos :2u: on your Dallas game performance. Hey Boudreau forgive me for second guessing you on Barksdale and Joe Barksdale if you have read my prevoius posts on you well I was wrong ...you are the man. While the other four Ol'ers were in a total state of disarray Joe Barksdale held up as the jailbreak went on.

On one play that will go down this year in all Cowboys highlight reels....in the 3rd quarter with 8:18 to go DL'ers DeMarcus Ware & Hatcher teamed up a scheme on JB & Dahl. Ware rushed JB & Hatcher took Dahl on, Ware stopped & stunted inside Hatcher caught Dahl & JB side by side facing right & in line & pushed both of them back giving Ware a direct hit & sack on Sam. It was a perfect set up disaster that I do not recall ever seeing done so perfectly. JD did have designed help by the RB who was to chip Ware but Ware side stepped the Ram RB & bee lined for the kill. That was the biggest negative to report on JB. You should know that JB lined up across DE Ware about 40% of the time & gave up very little while DL'ers Hatcher & Ware wore down & disrupted blocks of Long & Williams. The worst that can be said was two other plays where his man did cause Sam to hurry. Compared to what happen to the other OL'ers that was OUTSTANDING! Don't believe me? Please take time to verify what I have stated.

When your best starting OL'er this past Sunday is a player who started his first NFL game @ ORT says much on the future promise of this third season OT Joe Barksdale. I will once again watch him deal with the 9ers DT McDonald & Ahmad Brooks a very hard assignment for-sure, yes they are very good but that DE Ware is got to be the best DE I have watched in a long long time. Presently Rams DE's Quinn & Long are not playing anything close to the level as DeMarcus Ware .

I do not even think Rodger Saffold would have done any better last Sunday. This provides me hope for the rest of the year @ ORT post. I not so sure I would risk Saffold back in as starter may be best to keep him ready as the swing reserve OT cause he has proved beyond a doubt Saffold can not stay healthy to perform or fill the needed requirement to remain on the field due to constant injury after injury as a starting OT in the NFL. Barksdale's has already surpassed Saffold in his ability to play an entire game this young 2013 season & come out fully healthy something Saffold has not done. If I am Boudreau I would ask myself why not stay with the positive ongoing development of a possible future starting Ram ORT? It will certainly help this team next season ....Saffold will not be a Ram but earning a sizable pay increase with another team needing a OLT.

fearsomefour

Legend
BonifayRam said:
For those who do not read my usually boring detailed OL posts but are looking for anything positive to read on our Ram Team after last Sundays rotten XXXX! I got something you may want to know.

First allow me to say that most may know I have been a negative critic on the promise of OT Joe Barksdale making it as a good starter in the NFL. * I have been a advocate of drafting a OT high in the 2014 draft. * I was an advocate of that in this past yrs draft. * I have been a constant wet damp stinky ragging poster on this young man. Not any longer!

Yes, I know it was his only his first NFL start @ ORT. Yes, he did play heavy in the first two reg. season games @ ORT when Saffold was injured & it was not much to post about other that Blah! I should also recall his two starts @ OLT last yr in two bad nasty losses. Yes, he did have four pre season games where he also got a ton of experience @ both ORT & OLT posts but still nothing much to smile about. But I just reviewed the entire Dallas game & watched & re-watched Barksdale on every play....be advised I am :bign: :spz: on my review.

Hey Joe Barksdale (JB)you have caused me to eat my past posts on you & I am poking on the keyboard with my size 13 foot in my mouth. Kudos :2u: on your Dallas game performance. Hey Boudreau forgive me for second guessing you on Barksdale and Joe Barksdale if you have read my prevoius posts on you well I was wrong ...you are the man. While the other four Ol'ers were in a total state of disarray Joe Barksdale held up as the jailbreak went on.

On one play that will go down this year in all Cowboys highlight reels....in the 3rd quarter with 8:18 to go DL'ers DeMarcus Ware & Hatcher teamed up a scheme on JB & Dahl. Ware rushed JB & Hatcher took Dahl on, Ware stopped & stunted inside Hatcher caught Dahl & JB side by side facing right & in line & pushed both of them back giving Ware a direct hit & sack on Sam. It was a perfect set up disaster that I do not recall ever seeing done so perfectly. JD did have designed help by the RB who was to chip Ware but Ware side stepped the Ram RB & bee lined for the kill. That was the biggest negative to report on JB. You should know that JB lined up across DE Ware about 40% of the time & gave up very little while DL'ers Hatcher & Ware wore down & disrupted blocks of Long & Williams. The worst that can be said was two other plays where his man did cause Sam to hurry. Compared to what happen to the other OL'ers that was OUTSTANDING! Don't believe me? Please take time to verify what I have stated.

When your best starting OL'er this past Sunday is a player who started his first NFL game @ ORT says much on the future promise of this third season OT Joe Barksdale. I will once again watch him deal with the 9ers DT McDonald & Ahmad Brooks a very hard assignment for-sure, yes they are very good but that DE Ware is got to be the best DE I have watched in a long long time. Presently Rams DE's Quinn & Long are not playing anything close to the level as DeMarcus Ware .

I do not even think Rodger Saffold would have done any better last Sunday. This provides me hope for the rest of the year @ ORT post. I not so sure I would risk Saffold back in as starter may be best to keep him ready as the swing reserve OT cause he has proved beyond a doubt Saffold can not stay healthy to perform or fill the needed requirement to remain on the field due to constant injury after injury as a starting OT in the NFL. Barksdale's has already surpassed Saffold in his ability to play an entire game this young 2013 season & come out fully healthy something Saffold has not done. If I am Boudreau I would ask myself why not stay with the positive ongoing development of a possible future starting Ram ORT? It will certainly help this team next season ....Saffold will not be a Ram but earning a sizable pay increase with another team needing a OLT.

I dont find your OL posts boring, just the opposite. I love the line play and really focus on the O and D lines when watching the games myself.
You and I had a couple of discussions regarding Barksdale, you were not a fan and I was. I will say this for Joe, I think he played well at Dallas, but, I dont think he if "there" yet based on that game. He is still going to have issues dealing with pure speed guys. But, he is a positive in the run game and if he can get his hands on a pass rusher he will lock them up usually.
I still want to draft a T next year, unless, Barksdale evolves into a + RT during this season and the Rams are convinced Long is what they paid for. Frankly, if the Rams end up with a high enough pick to grab a top 1 or 3 T in this years draft I would probably still do it and give him time behind Long.
Good report on Barksdale. Always had the physical size and strength, a little slow footed. Learning proper technique can help hide some of those other shortcomings....something that was not addressed in Oakland when he was drafted.
The question becomes, if Barksdale continues to play well do you even bother putting Saffold back in when he is healthy....I for one think he is gone after this season no matter what due to FA and his ability to play LT.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I counted 1 sack, 3 hits and 4 hurries from his side, but comparatively speaking, that wasn't too bad. He did look better last week than he did at any point last year. It's reassuring that there's someone who can step in and take over for Saffold in the likely event he gets hurt. It's not so worrisome anymore.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, I also blame him, Dahl and Wells for not sliding to pick-up Lee on that blitz where he blasted Sam.

duckhunter

Starter
He's improving and he has the whole season to prove himself. Better to give him a chance and know now than have some doubts come draft time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I counted 1 sack, 3 hits and 4 hurries from his side, but comparatively speaking, that wasn't too bad. He did look better last week than he did at any point last year. It's reassuring that there's someone who can step in and take over for Saffold in the likely event he gets hurt. It's not so worrisome anymore.

When you say from his side are you saying right side (Wells- Dahl- Barksdale- & the LOS TE) or just his man up? I know Dahl was responsible for some of those hits along with a TE too.

duckhunter said:
He's improving and he has the whole season to prove himself. Better to give him a chance and know now than have some doubts come draft time.

That's what I was thinking too. If that re injured knee of Saffold is in a weakened state from last yr & now this yr ....your going to have to have a swing OT on the roster anyway why not just run Barksdale let him settle in and then you will know what you have looking @ 2014 & just where you need to go in the draft or UFA time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
X said:

When you say from his side are you saying right side (Wells- Dahl- Barksdale- & the LOS TE) or just his man up?
Just his man.