Positional summary & cap look

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I decided to put together a positional summary, and to start with I didn’t go too deep on the roster, as most of them will be depth player level and retention isn’t an issue if the Rams wish. Also didn’t get into the kickers/snapper. Basic idea here is to combine things for a snapshot of talent and cost by position. Yeah, I’m bored.

FORMAT

Player (2017 grade / 2018 estimate) cap hit

SCALE

9 – Super Elite / HoF

8 – Elite

6 – Above Average

4 – Average Starter

2 – Depth Player

1 – Garbage

QB

Jared Goff (6/7) $7.6M

Sean Mannion (2/3) $1M

Brandon Allen (2/2) $.6M

This is a very affordable group even if they keep it 3 deep as-is. No roster action required outside of possibly trading or releasing Mannion. Mannion is a UFA in 2019, Allen is under contract.

RB

Todd Gurley (8/8) $4.3M

Malcolm Brown (3/3) RFA

Justin Davis (2/2) $.5M

Lance Dunbar UFA

Rams will retain Brown I am sure, as he is RFA. Gurley is RFA in 2019. With Dunbar likely departure they could use depth addition.

OL

Andrew Whitworth (6/6) $12.1M

Roger Saffold (7/7) $7.5M

John Sullivan (5/5) UFA

Jamon Brown (5/6) $.9M

Rob Havenstein (6/6) $1.2M

Darrell Williams (3/3) RFA

Austin Blythe (4/4) $.6M

Cornelius Lucas (2/2) $.6M

Aaron Neary (2/2) $.5M

Big Whit needs a backup due to age. Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, and Williams are UFAs in 2019. Rams need a Center if they don’t re-sign Sully; I gave Blythe a starter grade above due to good showings this season but not sure how he’d hold up if he were the starter might get ugly. In terms of time, this group needs some extensions done to avoid multiple starters hitting FA together.

TE

Tyler Higbee (4/5) $.7M

Gerald Everett (3/6) $1.3M

Temarrick Hemingway (2/3) $.6M

Derek Carrier (3/3) UFA

TE position has good team control but some questions IRT whether that unit is loaded enough. I don’t think it is, not for McVay. Everett is a key piece but they need to hedge their bets if they can find some help in FA.

WR

Robert Woods (5/6) $8M

Cooper Kupp (5/6) $.8M

Sammy Watkins (5/7) UFA

Josh Reynolds (3/4) $.7M

Pharoh Cooper (3/4) $.7M

Michael Thomas (2/3) $.6M

Big question with this group is whether Watkins is signed. If not, Rams need to find an X receiver, which isn’t easy and it’s costly on the open market. I suspect they transition him and match provided what he gets offered isn’t nuts.

DL

Aaron Donald (9/9) $6.8M

Michael Brockers (7/7) $10.7M

Dominique Easley (INJ/6) UFA

Ethan Westbrooks (4/4) $2M

Morgan Fox (3/3) $.6M

Tyrunn Walker (3/3) UFA

Tanzel Smart (3/3) $.5M

Obviously AD gonna get paid, which means another ~$12M into this unit at least. Easley will depart in FA. This group is very well paid, which leads me to think it’s a likely draft investment to fill NT.

OLB

Robert Quinn (5/5) $12.3M

Connor Barwin (4/4) UFA

Matt Longacre (5/5) RFA

Samson Ebukam (3/4) $.7M

Carlos Thompson (2/2) $.6M

Garrett Sickels (2/2) $.5M

This group is costlier than its production warrants due to Quinn, but since he’s 26 I would think the Rams try to restructure him with an extension. Ebukam might be a bargain, might be a starter at LOLB in this defense next season but still too early to know. This unit needs an infusion of high end youth from the draft, even with Quinn returning.

ILB

Alec Ogletree (5/6) $11.6M

Mark Barron (4/4) $10M

Bryce Hager (3/3) $.7M

Corey Littleton (3/4) $.6M

Cameron Lynch (2/2) RFA

Hager and Lynch are UFA in 2019. Might have a potential starter level player in Littleton, remains to be seen. There is a lot of money tied to this position with Tree and Barron. Obvious cost savings is Barron being cut or maybe traded. Fresh blood is needed for this room, probably a starter to replace Barron.

S

John Johnson (4/5) $.7M

Lamarcus Joyner (6/6) UFA

Cody Davis (3/3) UFA

Blake Countess (3/3) $.6M

Marqui Christian (2/2) $.7M

Joyner is an obvious priority to re-sign. But they also might lose a quality backup in Davis.

CB

Trumaine Johnson (6/6) UFA

Kayvon Webster (5/5) $3.6M

Troy Hill (4/5) RFA

Nickell Robey-Coleman (6/6) UFA

Kevin Peterson (3/3)

Isaiah Johnson (2/2)

Two starters are UFA. Web and Hill are UFAs in 2019. This is ugly and likely requires a combination of re-signs and draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like to believe and again JMHO, they move on from Quinn & Austin and bring back Watkins, Johnson and extend Donald...Realize Quinn did play better, but I believe both he and Austin will be cap casualties.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Hard to believe Quinn js still so young. I think he loves this team and hopefully restructures. He is not the 19 sack Robert Quinn but he would be a good rotational pass rusher .

Tavon is gone , hopefully can trade him for a lower pick to add depth .

There will be alot of changes in the off eason, priority should be keeping this O line together and resigning Donald ? Watkins Joyner and NRC.

Wade sees something in Webster and hopefully he shows the rest of us next season . We need 2 good corners for this defense to work at an elite level , can' trust hill yet as a number 2 in my opinion.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Quinn is 27 and will be 28 when the 2018-19 season begins.

Good analysis!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Wade sees something in Webster and hopefully he shows the rest of us next season . We need 2 good corners for this defense to work at an elite level , can' trust hill yet as a number 2 in my opinion.
Webster had his chance; he is not a playoff corner---meaning he can't stop 9 routes and he isn't a shut down guy....just a guy that knows the system. I will take him over Tru J because of speed....we needfaster than a 4.6

fearsomefour

Legend
Good grades I think.
I don't think changes are needed at TE. Higbee improved quite a bit with his blocking and can get open although his hands are not great. It takes time. The Rams have invested two picks in the TE spot and those need to be given time to develop. I would resign Carrier as he is a good depth all round TE that won't cost a lot. Would take him over Hemingway as Hemingway couldn't block and done nothing but get injured. Having some vet depth there is important I think.
We need to improve LB depth with a new starter or maybe two. All easier said than done.
The DL needs work too I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's some of my thoughts on your good comments above first the offense:

RB

If we cut RB Tavon Austin & do not resign damaged RB Lance Dunbar it would appear to be a depleted RB cadre That would need some replacements. Is Justin Davis & Sam Rogers enough?

OL
Present issues of the UFA status of starting center John Sullivan & the over a well seasoned past retirement age starting LT Whitworth plus the fact that 3 starting OL'ers will be entering UFA next yr at this time should demand some serious preparational planning NOW in this unit. Delay could prove to be a major disaster. None of the Rams reserve unit has been drafted by this team. None have been projected to have any starting talents & skills. Blythe did play well enough but he only started 2 gms as of yet. I would NOT approach this unit as lightly as indicated.

TE
I see no need to seek out help outside from FA'cy as you indicated. This Ram Org. has invested in this unit the last two drafts. This unit did under preform due to first 2017 draft selection Gerald Everett & the loss for the year of 2nd yr TE Temarrick Hemmingway. McVay also has first season Johnny Mundt who played in a few games this season when Derk Carrier was injured & looked good in pre season. In addition he has Henry Krieger-Coble who will enter in his 3rd season as his 5th TE. If needed Derek Carrier can be brought back he is a McVay Favorite type

Last edited:

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Great job with the analysis:
I hope you are right, but I think that you are a little optimistic on the WR group.
If all progress as you have written, I would let Sammy walk, we would need the money elsewhere.
That said, I don't see a step up for Woods (already a 6) , and could actually see him falling back if Sammy leaves as he would be facing more doubles and better CBs.

WR
Robert Woods (5/6) $8M
Cooper Kupp (5/6) $.8M
Sammy Watkins (5/7) UFA
Josh Reynolds (3/4) $.7M
Pharoh Cooper (3/4) $.7M
Michael Thomas (2/3) $.6M

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like to believe and again JMHO, they move on from Quinn & Austin and bring back Watkins, Johnson and extend Donald...Realize Quinn did play better, but I believe both he and Austin will be cap casualties.
I agree with you Coach. I think Austin will be a Cap casualty but I'm hoping we can restructure Quinn's contract!

fearsomefour

Legend
Here's some of my thoughts on your good comments above first the offense:

RB

If we cut RB Tavon Austin & do not resign damaged RB Lance Dunbar it would appear to be a depleted RB cadre That would need some replacements. Is Justin Davis & Sam Rogers enough?

OL
Present issues of the UFA status of starting center John Sullivan & the over a well seasoned past retirement age starting LT Whitworth plus the fact that 3 starting OL'ers will be entering UFA next yr at this time should demand some serious preparational planning NOW in this unit. Delay could prove to be a major disaster. None of the Rams reserve unit has been drafted by this team. None have been projected to have any starting talents & skills. Blythe did play well enough but he only started 2 gms as of yet. I would NOT approach this unit as lightly as indicated.

TE
I see no need to seek out help outside from FA'cy as you indicated. This Ram Org. has invested in this unit the last two drafts. This unit did under preform due to first 2017 draft selection Gerald Everett & the loss for the year of 2nd yr TE Temarrick Hemmingway. McVay also has first season Johnny Mundt who played in a few games this season when Derk Carrier was injured & looked good in pre season. In addition he has Henry Krieger-Coble who will enter in his 3rd season as his 5th TE. If needed Derek Carrier can be brought back he is a McVay Favorite type
The OL issue is the Rams have limited resources to throw at it.
The likely hood of investmenting a high pick in OL is small. Without a second round pick that really throws the pick down the line. Say the Rams go CB and DL with their first and third pick. It leaves late picks to try and find a gem, unlikely.
Blythe played well enough when he was in. He was better than Barnes when Barnes was starting with the Rams. Neary didn't look bad at C either in his one game. Not great, not terrible. With those two and Eldenkamp (sp?) the Rams will probably try to replace C and maybe a G in house. The only FA move that would make sense would be an upgrade over a current starter....which means RG. I don't see this happening. Maybe the team tries to extend a young player this year (Brown would be the best candidate for that I would think) and work on Hav next offseason?
The real sticky wicket is LT of course.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The numbers seem a lil high....6 is a above average starter, ehhh?

If we cut RB Tavon Austin
I was told this guy "isn't" a rb ....by some genius in here boni....

whatever he is...I'd cut him

We still shoulda used him more....

Maybe restructure....MAYBE
. I would NOT approach this unit as lightly as indicated.
O-line and D-Line should always be a priority....ALWAYS...win or lose in the trenches...

I think we need different type of linemen...more power players...I wonder what Edelkamp looks like after a redshirt year in the weight room...

On to the senior bowl....LOL

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The OL issue is the Rams have limited resources to throw at it.
The likely hood of investmenting a high pick in OL is small. Without a second round pick that really throws the pick down the line. Say the Rams go CB and DL with their first and third pick. It leaves late picks to try and find a gem, unlikely.
Blythe played well enough when he was in. He was better than Barnes when Barnes was starting with the Rams. Neary didn't look bad at C either in his one game. Not great, not terrible. With those two and Eldenkamp (sp?) the Rams will probably try to replace C and maybe a G in house. The only FA move that would make sense would be an upgrade over a current starter....which means RG. I don't see this happening. Maybe the team tries to extend a young player this year (Brown would be the best candidate for that I would think) and work on Hav next offseason?
The real sticky wicket is LT of course.
Cap resources or draft resources? It sure appears that there will be less resources in 2019 as it appears presently especially with the Aaron Donald contract..

Should they wait till the OL is in Peril of losing 3 starters maybe four if Whitworth retires in 2019? It takes several seasons of hard work & many starts to get OL'ers up to being effective. No other unit takes this kind of stewing. Thats a big gamble IMO.

This unit went undamaged in 2017 that fact alone was a freak of nature as you & I know. I am not of the opinion we could have a winning season starting Darrell Williams. Aaron Nearly & Austin Blythe types. You can have all of the UFA's like Sammy Watkins, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner & Aaron Donald you desire .....once that OL goes weak....:death:

nighttrain

Legend
keeping our offensive line together and improving it through draft and FA are top priorities, this is a must do
train

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Have to believe Quinn and Barron would have some trade value. Moving both for draft picks makes a bit of sense, save salary for others and draft replacements.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OL

Yeah the OL really surprised me tbh. I didn't realize that we had so many key players timed for UFA in 2019 prior to doing up the list. That plus Big Whit's age means there's going to have to be some attention to it this offseason.

The LT concern first off might be covered for next season worst case (i.e. in the event Big Whit gets injured) by sliding Roger over. What this means is we might see the Rams add OG in the draft to allow for a depth option to slide into Roger's spot in that event.

It would also address depth at OG, which is a concern. Depth that has some physicality to it would make this unit better.

The other option is moving up for a LT they like, although that probably isn't an ideal approach as we need to covet our picks. Or maybe one slides to us in a miracle draft who knows.

Lastly they should consider extensions for the younguns. Brown wasn't perfect but he's young, strong at the point, and should get better. Same with Hav, who had a stronger year than Brown did but who also has upside. Maybe get one of those two locked up idk.

My bigger fear right now is Les' press conference where he sounded like the candy man. I just pray the dude isn't really thinking about keeping everyone. Rams gotta be surgical and strategic in keeping only the right dudes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The numbers seem a lil high....6 is a above average starter, ehhh?
.....O-line and D-Line should always be a priority....ALWAYS...win or lose in the trenches...

I think we need different type of linemen...more power players...I wonder what Edelkamp looks like after a redshirt year in the weight room...

On to the senior bowl....LOL
Agree you win through the excellent line play.

Kromer seems to have gravitated towards smaller athletic OL'ers in his interior OL this past season. Blythe 6-2/301, Nearly 6-4/302, Eldrenkamp 6-5/290, whom are our current OL interior OL'ers reserve appear much smaller than what we see in Sullivan, Saffold & Brown who started. It will be interesting to see what Kromer does in 2018. Our 2017 OL had issues winning in the trenches going up against good DL's like Vikings, Eagle & even the Falcons where we could not win.

It seems to me that Kromer like smart quick thinking OL'ers over brawn.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cap resources or draft resources? It sure appears that there will be less resources in 2019 as it appears presently especially with the Aaron Donald contract..

Should they wait till the OL is in Peril of losing 3 starters maybe four if Whitworth retires in 2019? It takes several seasons of hard work & many starts to get OL'ers up to being effective. No other unit takes this kind of stewing. Thats a big gamble IMO.

This unit went undamaged in 2017 that fact alone was a freak of nature as you & I know. I am not of the opinion we could have a winning season starting Darrell Williams. Aaron Nearly & Austin Blythe types. You can have all of the UFA's like Sammy Watkins, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner & Aaron Donald you desire .....once that OL goes weak....:death:
I would say both in terms of resources.
So, what's the plan?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems to me that Kromer like smart quick thinking OL'ers over brawn.

If that ends up being true it does mean you can get those smaller types a little bit later than the big'uns. Shanny Sr made a killing doing that back in the day.