Position Battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
RB- 
Overview:
They will go with a RB by committee, but I believe one guy will emerge as the lead guy. I think
Isaiah Pead will get every opportunity to be the man. He has the most physical skills of the group. Daryl Richardson get overlooked a lot, but he played very well early on as a rookie until he hit a wall. Zac Stacey and Terrance Ganaway will get their shots to be the power back in the rotation. 
Prediction:
I think Isaiah Pead wins the starting job. Looking back at his 2012 season he did well in his limited RB opportunities. He did a poor job as a kick returner. 

X- 
Overview:
With Chris Givens solidifying himself at the other outside WR spot and Tavon Austin in the slot, the X spot is wide open. The Rams will rotate WRs, but somebody will emerge as a starter. Brian Quick was pretty much a first round pick. He has some good physical gifts, but the mental side of the game held him back in a major way in 2012. Jared Cook said Austin Pettis is one of the best WRs he has ever been around. Pettis came on strong last year after a brutal rookie season. Pettis has great hands and body control. Stedman Bailey has great hands and runs good routes. He has an outside chance to emerge as a starter. 
Prediction:
Austin Pettis. I think Quick is still a year away from being the guy he was billed at draft time. Pettis was the star of OTAs. 

LG-
Overview:
LG was arguably our worst position last year. It appears that the battle of LG will be between Chris Williams and Shelly Smith. Rok Williams and Barrett Jones will be in the mix as well. 
Prediction:
Chris Williams. Williams played well in relief at RG last year. He has good physical talents, and playing between Long and Wells may be what he needs to get his first round potential out of him. 

S-
Overview:
Safety was by far our weakest defensive position last year. Craig Dahl is one of the worst safety's I have ever seen. TJ McDonald is a big athletic kid with good football smarts. He figures to be a virtual lock for one of the safety spots. Darien Stewart has a good shot of starting the other spot, but gets hurt way too easy. Rodney McLeod is also in the mix. 

Prediction: 
Rodney McLeod. Stewart gets hurt too much, and McLeod showed a lot in preseason last year and on special teams during the 2012 season. 

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FRO making predictions:
Prediction:
Austin Pettis. I think Quick is still a year away from being the guy he was billed at draft time. Pettis was the star of OTAs.

Prediction:
Rodney McLeod. Stewart gets hurt too much, and McLeod showed a lot in preseason last year and on special teams during the 2012 season.

I'm not going to make any predictions except to say that I think Pettis is going to get more playing time than Quick and I think Stewart is gonna start at least at first.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Pettis is our #2 WR we are in trouble.

Let's face it; he's got size and hands... But he lacks speed and elite talent.

Pettis will be successful in compliment to others, not as a feature player.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good post FRO.

I think you are onto something, except for the WR position... Or at least God I hope so.

I cringe at the thought of Pettis as our 2nd best outside WR.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Do you think you naysayers are judging Pettis on his first two years? Isn't it generally understood that it often takes 3 years for a WR to blossom? I believe that and as he's improved every year I'm not going to be the one to say this won't be a breakout year for him.

I said that Pettis would get more playing time than Quick but that doesn't mean he's our #2. Pettis plays other WR positions too and the combination will be greater than Quicks. Course it's just my prediction and it's probably going be proved wrong before we even get to the regular season. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
IMO, there's a high probability that the RB by committee thing is how they're going to approach it this year. I don't think they're looking for a bellcow, and I don't see anyone who will emerge as one (maybe Pead). I'm sure someone will get the lion's share of the carries as the season wears on, but I think they wanna keep fresh legs churning all game.

I can't comment on the WR position. For the first time in a long time, there's actually top flight competition going into camp. I think Quick wins the job if he learns the playbook front and back. Pettis is going to be our utility guy (IMO) because he spent 50% of his snaps in the slot, and 50% on the outside. If he keeps lighting it up, he'll get every opportunity to become the #2, but that's designed for Quick as far as everyone is concerned. There will always always always always be a role for Pettis, and Sam loves him in clutch situations.

Agree Chris Williams is probably the starting LG.

At safety, Giordano has to be one of the starters initially, I would think. And Matt Daniels has to be somewhere in the mix as well. Another good camp battle that really bears watching. We all hope a prodigy emerges there, because right now that's the only weak link on D.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
Do you think you naysayers are judging Pettis on his first two years? Isn't it generally understood that it often takes 3 years for a WR to blossom? I believe that ans as he's improved every year I'm not going to be the one to say this won't be a breakout year for him.

I said that Pettis would get more playing time than Quick but that doesn't mean he's our #2. Pettis plays other WR positions too and the combination will be greater than Quicks. Course it's just my prediction and it's probably be proved wrong in before we even get to the regular season. :lol:

Yeah, but the major things holding him back aren't mental, they are physical. Speed & agility can't be taught, and Pettis is very average with both. Have you ever seen him on punt returns? He's like a snail running in slow motion

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think pettis has worked on his explosion when running. People that went to the charity softball game said that pettis looked like the most athletic player on the field. I'm not gonna count him out and won't be disappointed if he wins the starting role, not that I think he will be used that way.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still think Steadman is a sleeper to get a lot of PT on the outside and everywhere else.
There's something about this kid that i think will translate very well into the pro's.

I HOPE Quick is the guy who emerges,but i have my doubts.

I'm getting so friggin pumped up for training camp. :gr:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 thinking speed is king:
Yeah, but the major things holding him back aren't mental, they are physical. Speed & agility can't be taught, and Pettis is very average with both. Have you ever seen him on punt returns? He's like a snail running in slow motion

Speed is highly overrated. How fast was Jerry Rice or Bruce or Boldin or Larry Fitzgerald to name just a handful. Quickness, hands, agility and route running or far more important IMO.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:
If Pettis is our #2 WR we are in trouble.

Let's face it; he's got size and hands... But he lacks speed and elite talent.

Pettis will be successful in compliment to others, not as a feature player.

I agree, Pettis to me is just a more sure-handed Brandon Gibson. I think he'll be a very good #3 or possession WR, but I doubt he has #1 or #2 ability.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Last year around this time I was listening to the radio and some lady that never stuck, was following the rams ota's or training camp (I can't remember which). She was asked which rookie impressed you the most and she said that rookie with the dreads, he is just so much faster than everone else. Well Daryl Richardson went on to be the #2 rb. And from how that lady sounded, she knew little about football, I guess that's why she is no longer on the radio.

That being said, anyone that was asked about ota's said Pettis looked like the best wr. Not 1 person has said anything different, so you HAVE TO, take that into consideration, no matter how much u want the guy to be a 3rd or 4th wr. If it continues in tc, he will be the starring wr. I have no problem with that I just hope by mid season or seasons end Quick takes over the role and becomes the goto guy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fastcat said:
Last year around this time I was listening to the radio and some lady that never stuck, was following the rams ota's or training camp (I can't remember which). She was asked which rookie impressed you the most and she said that rookie with the dreads, he is just so much faster than everone else. Well Daryl Richardson went on to be the #2 rb. And from how that lady sounded, she knew little about football, I guess that's why she is no longer on the radio.

That being said, anyone that was asked about ota's said Pettis looked like the best wr. Not 1 person has said anything different, so you HAVE TO, take that into consideration, no matter how much u want the guy to be a 3rd or 4th wr. If it continues in tc, he will be the starring wr. I have no problem with that I just hope by mid season or seasons end Quick takes over the role and becomes the goto guy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
The only thing that gives me pause is that Brandon Gibson was always a training camp star, and while a decent player he never was starting caliber in games during the season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FRO said:
The only thing that gives me pause is that Brandon Gibson was always a training camp star, and while a decent player he never was starting caliber in games during the season.

That's it right there. I'm not overly excited about any praise coming out of OTA's. It's better to hear good stuff than bad... but it's still OTA's.

Look...

I am not ripping Pettis. I think he's a talented guy with amazing hands, size, and in his 3rd year he's going to be someone to deal with - when used as a compliment to the offense.

Like others have already said... he's not got the speed or agility for an ideal #1 or #2. If he's our best option, then I'm really disappointed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
IMO, there's a high probability that the RB by committee thing is how they're going to approach it this year. I don't think they're looking for a bellcow, and I don't see anyone who will emerge as one (maybe Pead). I'm sure someone will get the lion's share of the carries as the season wears on, but I think they wanna keep fresh legs churning all game.

Yeah, despite the suspension; I think it's Pead's job to lose, but agree with you and others this will be more of a committee.

X said:
At safety, Giordano has to be one of the starters initially, I would think. And Matt Daniels has to be somewhere in the mix as well. Another good camp battle that really bears watching. We all hope a prodigy emerges there, because right now that's the only weak link on D.

Safety is going to be one of the best position battles to watch. I'm all excited.

Linebacker is another battle to watch. Here are the names;

50 Armstrong, Ray-Ray LB 6-3 227 22 R Miami
51 Bates, Daren LB 5-11 212 22 R Auburn
57 Brown, Sammy LB 6-2 242 23 2 Houston
58 Dunbar, Jo-Lonn LB 6-0 226 28 6 Boston College
55 Laurinaitis, James LB 6-2 250 26 5 Ohio State
64W LeBeau, Joseph LB 6-1 245 21 R Jackson St.
52 Ogletree, Alec LB 6-3 242 21 R Georgia
53 Steward, Phillip LB 6-1 235 22 R Houston
52 Williams, Jabara LB 6-2 238 24 R Stephen F. Austin St.

Laurinaitis, Dunbar, and Ogletree are the only "locks".

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:

The thing I don't understand with Giordano is if he'll take away a spot from a guy like Daniels or Davis. I was content with the guys that were already in place, even if all of them aren't proven yet. Is that a scary thing? Sure, but it could also turn out to be great. If Giordano proves to be a starting caliber safety, I'm all for it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lesson said:
X said:

The thing I don't understand with Giordano is if he'll take away a spot from a guy like Daniels or Davis. I was content with the guys that were already in place, even if all of them aren't proven yet. Is that a scary thing? Sure, but it could also turn out to be great. If Giordano proves to be a starting caliber safety, I'm all for it.

I'm not sure if Giordano steals a job or not. At 30yrs old, while fast and solid on special teams, Pro Football Focus ranked Giordano 69th in 2012 (Dahl was 78th).

I sure hope someone emerges better than Dahl.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Lesson said:
X said:

I'm not sure if Giordano steals a job or not. At 30yrs old, while fast and solid on special teams, Pro Football Focus ranked Giordano 69th in 2012 (Dahl was 78th).

I sure hope someone emerges better than Dahl.
I don't know about those PFF rankings, man. I mean they're great for disseminating information, but what does it say about a guy like Mikkel who was ranked 5th among ALL safeties in the league? He's struggling to find a job. Sometimes fit can play a more important role than statistical rankings. Now. That said. Mikell did rank negatively in COVERAGE, so maybe that's the reason why he's on the outside looking in.

fearsomefour

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I don't know about those PFF rankings, man. I mean they're great for disseminating information, but what does it say about a guy like Mikkel who was ranked 5th among ALL safeties in the league? He's struggling to find a job. Sometimes fit can play a more important role than statistical rankings. Now. That said. Mikell did rank negatively in COVERAGE, so maybe that's the reason why he's on the outside looking in.

There are a lot of things that factor into that. A guy having a negative ranking in coverage could relate to how he is used also. A coach who actually adjusts his system to fit his players strengths is a rarity. Price tag is another consideration. Maybe Mikell isent ready to come down on his price at this point. He may end up signing a one year deal someone where for relatively cheap then go shopping again next year. But, your right, the rankings are interesting.

Salary is the biggest reason I think Williams lands the LG spot. If everyone else in the race is making $400,000 and one guy is scheduled to be paid $2.1 M that has to factor into the battle.

I think Stewart is one starting S. It seems like years ago that Stewart was the bright spot on our D. He made plays, he played out of control and out of his responsibility sometimes, but, he made plays. If he can play a disciplined game he has a good shot of being very solid. I think Giordano starts the season at the other spot with McDonald coming in later. However, this staff has shown no hesitation giving rookies plenty of game time. I think Giordano is better than Dahl from the get. I base this on watching too many Raider games.
It will be interesting to see who gets the backup O-line spots, the backup S and LB spots as well.