(poll)What is the reason behind Gurley struggles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What is the reason behind Gurley struggles?

• Defenses Solved Gurley

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • O-Line is holding him back

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Likely injured/conditioning issues

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He looks slower to hit the hole this year, he is not making the first person miss and he seems to be lacking the patience he had last year. He hasn't had a ton to run through but there have been times when things have been there or an elite back could turn it into a home run and he just isn't making it happen. What I don't want is for him to have his break out game-or series of games- when the season is long dead and gone. It would be nice for him to kind of be the one who won a game in the next few weeks after the bye.
Mulder!

Where you been, man?
And don't tell me you've been busy.
That just means you're not prioritizing correctly. lol.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yes, the O-line has been poor but Gurley has been a shell of himself. It's almost like he is depressed or something out there. He is not breaking tackles and has really lacked vision. He is playing like a low tier RB this season.

F. Mulder

Starter
Mulder!

Where you been, man?
And don't tell me you've been busy.
That just means you're not prioritizing correctly. lol.
Hey X- combo of some personal stuff and lurking. Sometimes it' s hard to post when you feel you've seen this movie a few dozen times before LOL. Keep up the good fight my friend!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hey X- combo of some personal stuff and lurking. Sometimes it' s hard to post when you feel you've seen this movie a few dozen times before LOL. Keep up the good fight my friend!
Well, post more anyway.
What were those analytics you used to post again? Those were good.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah, it's more of a combination of things. He definitely seems frustrated at this point but the pass play vs the Giants shows me he still has the willingness to break tackles and be The Gurley Man. I think once he gets that big run, the skies the limit.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Obviously we all agree there is more than just one or two reasons but I'm still quite baffled by Gurley's lack of vision, strength and explosion getting from 0-60 mph.

I'm excepting the reality that maybe Todd Gurley just takes a step back in 2016. For many of the reasons people have mentioned, I sadly no longer expect him to take over games this season until I see that first one happen with my own eyes.

Still hoping like everyone else that he turns the corner in the final 9 games. Regardless of the reasons, nobody predicted this type of 7 game start happening. :(

1442765873123.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Obviously we all agree there is more than just one or two reasons but I'm still quite baffled by Gurley's lack of vision, strength and explosion getting from 0-60 mph.

I'm excepting the reality that maybe Todd Gurley just takes a step back in 2016. For many of the reasons people have mentioned, I sadly no longer expect him to take over games this season until I see that first one happen with my own eyes.

Still hoping like everyone else that he turns the corner in the final 9 games. Regardless of the reasons, nobody predicted this type of 7 game start happening. :(

1442765873123.jpg
Whenever I see your name on the main page, I know I'm gonna get a solid take capped off with a photo summary or moral. :LOL:
Keep it comin', dude.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, it's more of a combination of things. He definitely seems frustrated at this point but the pass play vs the Giants shows me he still has the willingness to break tackles and be The Gurley Man. I think once he gets that big run, the skies the limit.
Yep! Once he gets that 1st BIG ONE he'll get his confidence back. But that Line has to do their Job!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

1442765873123.jpg
I just have to wonder, How much of Fisher "Protecting him" in OTA's and TC had to do with this!?! If anything!o_O

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree it's scheme with the OL, but correct me if I'm wrong - I thought they WERE using a zone blocking scheme.

Part of the problem I see is that a lot of the times our OLinemen look like they don't know who they are supposed to block. They are not simply lining up and knocking the snot out of the guy in front of them.

There's more that I would say, but @Fatbot said it perfectly in another thread, and I'm going to copy his post here:

It's hard to tell what they are trying to do. I didn't like the high school offense that Cignetti ran but early on the line was successfully blocking the zone scheme. It was easy to see. Nearer to the end of the season it started to erode. This year it doesn't look like any one scheme. Maybe it is just because of too many men in the box, or maybe it is due to no longer being able to cut block. It just looks like a lot of ineptitude.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I guess a hole is now defined as a 6 inch gap between offensive linemen, It is kind of hard to get yards when there are 5-6 guys waiting for you and one of them usually hits you before you get to the line of scrimmage.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Think about this guys... if you were a rb, and a running play was called and you seen 8-10 defenders stacked in the box and the play call was between the tackles, you would have have a pretty good idea the play ain't working unless all the stars align. now say 40 carriers later, you see the same looks and the same plays are being called how on God's green earth do you expect to to have confidence when you have 2-3 unblocked players smacking you in the face carry after carry, game after game? its a combination of 3 things. 1st, play calling and the lack of case (I'm assuming not being allowed) to audible when he sees those fronts. 2. The line, or scheme, or both, is a disaster. .. watch the line get pushed back on run plays. and 3. Gurley has to be shell of himself. He knows what's coming... If this continues, mark my words, he will be hurt before the end of the season. I heard an announcer say Gurley leads the league in getting hit BEHIND the LOS.

All my points lead to the ultimate point.... it's coaching. But we have something to look forward to. Every year fish has been here he has tweaked something in the bye and we look like a different team. This year the bye the has come early and we are only 1 game under 500 so we MAY turn around and win, say.... 4 more games

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
A combination of things but superstars make plays when plays are not there. Gurley has not had many explosive plays.

Gurley is not the same runner. Sure the O-line has not opened holes at times but Gurley has missed some big runs due to his vision. He is not as patient as he was last year. He also seems to be lacking that extra gear. I hope he gets out of his funk and starts beasting like he was last year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Option 4, they aren't scared of our passing game yet. Yeah, it's better, but it's not winning better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched the All-22 of every Gurley run against the Giants. He wasn't missing holes. He made the correct decision on every run but two of them. And it was only arguable that he made the wrong call on those two runs. On one of the runs, he chose to cut up-field behind his blockers on a 3rd and 1 instead of bouncing outside for possibly a bigger play. I can't fault him for taking the sure thing when we need a first down. On the other run, he cut immediately and was stopped for a 1-yard gain. If he had stretched the play a bit more, there were a hole further down on the OL. However, there was a LB ready to fill that gap. So even if he hit the hole, it's likely a 1-yard gain vs. a 2 or 3-yard gain.

Simply put, our OL isn't opening holes up. And when they do get push and open up holes, they either fail to sustain their blocks or whiff on the second level.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
It's easy. They are stacking the box because of our lackluster passing game. Daring us to throw it down the field... and teams will keep doing it until we can consistently make them pay. So far, we can't.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I don't care if I get boo'ed, but I think defenses have figured him out, and the play calls he is running. It's called constructive criticism, I am not saying he is a bad RB, but he definitely isn't playing up to par as last season. And many say that its the OL, but I don't think anything major has happened to our OL, unless I am seriously missing something? Please enlighten me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if I get boo'ed, but I think defenses have figured him out, and the play calls he is running. It's called constructive criticism, I am not saying he is a bad RB, but he definitely isn't playing up to par as last season. And many say that its the OL, but I don't think anything major has happened to our OL, unless I am seriously missing something? Please enlighten me.

The OL wasn't good last year. They just had a handful of plays where they gave Gurley a shot to break one. And he did. That's not happening this year. That's the difference. It ain't Gurley that's the problem.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I really don't think any of the answers are exactly it.

It's a combination of poor blocking and Gurley having poor vision.

The line is playing poorly at times.. and at other times Gurley is running with his head down and without vision or confidence.

My thoughts as well...It's not as simple as a, b or c...They conspire together and right now are operating like a well- oiled machine...