Poll: Keep Raheem or get two 3rd round comp picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you rather keep Raheem Morris as DC, or receive two third round comp picks?

• Prefer to keep Raheem as DC

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Prefer to get two 3rd round comp picks

Votes: 64 81.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am damn excited to have another third round pick in this draft. :part:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the third round picks, but I hate to think that Raheem could take a bunch of McVay’s coaches with him.

This staff as a whole has done a great job and McVay seemed very pleased with the group he put together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the third round picks, but I hate to think that Raheem could take a bunch of McVay’s coaches with him.

This staff as a whole has done a great job and McVay seemed very pleased with the group he put together.
He'll keep the guys he wants. LA is the staff you want to be on as a staff member. Very few of that level of prestige out there.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The hate always outs. It cannot just be they don't like it.

Extremists have to call him names. Never facts. Never understanding. Never concerned about results. Always about what something looks like.
Please, "never understanding" ?
You might want to stop talking down to folks who do not come at you.
RM had Aaron Donald in his prime and other talented edge rushers. He had J Ramsey in his prime too. Yet he played soft. Coached afraid, myself and plenty of other did not like it. I am not alone on this and we are thinking people just as much as you are.
I will take Buddy Ryan. Rex Ryan style over R Morris, Lovie Smith style all day long.
Morris had to players to sic them after the QB like a pack of wolves, yet rarely did.
Glad he is in Atlanta, wish him the best.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Please, "never understanding" ?
Yes, I honestly think that many folks thought the depth of the CBs was "stupid" and other things. However, based on what I have read in terms of comments the didn't understand the things being run and why.

So yeah, they never understood, even though Jourdan covered it very well, enough to tone down the names they called him. And it was all because they didn't like the way it looked. It was successful. Not perfect, not as good as 2020 but far better than the people who went after him in personal ways thought. And that is easily proven.

I get they were mad but being mad is not a way to understand something. In fact, quite the opposite.
You might want to stop talking down to folks who do not come at you.
That is your interpretation. But I do speak out against the group that insults Morris... not just not liking it-- that is fair game for any reason --- but questioning his intelligence and calling him, basically, afraid. I've seen him called all sorts of names and when they do it they exaggerate things and don't view things in context. It's my opinion that challenging the foundation of people's beliefs with facts is not talking down to anyone.

RM had Aaron Donald in his prime and other talented edge rushers. He had J Ramsey in his prime too. Yet he played soft. Coached afraid, myself and plenty of other did not like it. I am not alone on this and we are thinking people just as much as you are.
And this displays exactly the lack of understanding. It seems for some this is nothing more than not wanting the defense McVay wants. McVay wanted to win a Super Bowl and thought the Fangio system was the best way to get there. And he was right, whether critics like it or not.

I will take Buddy Ryan. Rex Ryan style over R Morris, Lovie Smith style all day long.
Morris had to players to sic them after the QB like a pack of wolves, yet rarely did.
Glad he is in Atlanta, wish him the best.
Well, you can want whatever you want, but it's not 1985 and Rex Ryan -- when was last time he worked as a coach?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at how close some of those metrics are, particularly yards per play. DVOA is close the last two years, we got more pressure this year.

Now think about the difference in personnel.

That's why it's his best coaching job.
Agreed. I think in 2022 the defense underachieved given the talent they had on the roster. And 2023 was a reversal where the unit largely overachieved in spite of the lack of talent on the roster. 2023 was his best job I think, in his three years as DC for us, in terms of what he got from the talent available. There are a lot of DCs who would have finished dead last with our roster this year and that is part of the reason he got a gig. That and the title of course.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to use pick 19 on a top end player. We have more than enough picks and 4 now in the top 100.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I want to use pick 19 on a top end player. We have more than enough picks and 4 now in the top 100.
For me, as long as one is there. You can look at drafts in retrospect and see there was a gap between maybe the top 15 and then the rest. So, I am with you if there is a stud in the making there -- and odds are here will be.

But I ask you what if the grade on the guys from 15-25 are all about the same? Would you drop to 25 and be confident the guy at 25 was just as good (and could be better) than the 25? If so, I want the 25 plus the picks.

If the guy at 19 has a grade of 10-14 or so (high-to-mid- first round) then jump on him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, as long as one is there. You can look at drafts in retrospect and see there was a gap between maybe the top 15 and then the rest. So, I am with you if there is a stud in the making there -- and odds are here will be.

But I ask you what if the grade on the guys from 15-25 are all about the same? Would you drop to 25 and be confident the guy at 25 was just as good (and could be better) than the 25? If so, I want the 25 plus the picks.

If the guy at 19 has a grade of 10-14 or so (high-to-mid- first round) then jump on him.
Who's grade and do we care enough about their grades? Honestly the only grade that matters is the one that McSnead and their coaches put on a guy and that they feel they got value. The rest is just window dressing for us. And honestly it leads to fans being angry about a pick. How often have you seen a guy drafted and fans say "well he was graded out 10 picks later we wasted that pick" or something similar. It's nonsense worrying about "draft experts" player rankings. Unless you see the Rams board don't worry about the rankings.

Yes they give us an idea of a players value but if you marry a pick to a certain group of players you likely will be let down.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
With all the picks Snead has at his disposal don't be surprised if he packaged some picks to move up to get a difference maker.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Who's grade and do we care enough about their grades?
Rams scouting dept.

How often have you seen a guy drafted and fans say "well he was graded out 10 picks later we wasted that pick"
Not interested their grades at all as far as what Rams do. However, I do read them for informational sake but in no way was I referring to them as a point of reference. Drankniks have a place, but not when it comes to decision time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams scouting dept.
Which we don't know their rankings so what's the point? You asked if a guy ranked 15-20 or whatever was there would you trade back. If I knew the Rams board maybe. But I don't so I get my guy. What would suck and make you mad is if they trade back with say guys like DeJean and Wiggins there and they move back 5 spots and miss them. That would suck. That late 3rd round pick they got for moving back 6 spots better be a damned pro bowler or what's the point? If a guy you like is there don't get too cute cause you don't know for sure who else likes that guy. Eleven picks is more than enough for what we need to do with what we have in cap space for free agents.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Which we don't know their rankings so what's the point? You asked if a guy ranked 15-20 or whatever was there would you trade back. If I knew the Rams board maybe.

Well, not sure what you are getting at, but my point may not have been clear enough so I will try again.

I was saying I would like or approve or not complain about this: Rams are at 19. And there is a group of players THEY have ranked as all about the same. Let's call it a "late first-round grade" if the guys From say 17-25 or 18-29 are all about the same then if they traded down it would be a good move.

However, if there was someone who they have as a 10-15, let's call it, at 19 and it was a clear BPA then jump on it.

But, if the Rams could get the same level of player at 27 as they would have at 19, I'd take the 27 plus the extra 3rd rounder.

That all I was saying. Then you asked about "whose ranking" and I clarified Rams only .... if you thought I meant draftniks, no, and I should have said at the time I don't care what they think.

What I don't know is the curve of the 2024 talent pool. Where are the breaks .... are there 5 elite, and 10 near-elite? Are there 14 elite then after that they are all basically 2nd-round grades ... Avila was a late first-round grade if I read McSnead's postdraft comments right they were hoping he was one of the guys who'd fall.

Example -If there was a stud edge rusher at 19 and none they think are close ... then take him. If a stud edge rusher would be available at 22,24,27 (three-four guys) then take the extra pick.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
. But I don't so I get my guy. What would suck and make you mad is if they trade back with say guys like DeJean and Wiggins there and they move back 5 spots and miss them. That would suck.
I understand. That is a risk and I get it. But I am talking in general, not the specific names you mention. I don't know enough about them to know.

But the bad example we all point to is missing on Bobby Wagner. And it wasn't the first trade down it was the small incremental one. They wanted Wagner of Kendricks. But both went in the few picks so they blew it and took Pead -- and Pead busted.

But the trade down, even the second one was not a "trade down" failure it was a "missed on the pick" failure.

Rams had a shot a Lavonte David and could have taken him. While not as good as Wagner, he was far better than Kendricks. had Rams taken him then Isiah Pead would not be a cautionary tale. It still seems to haunt Snead, I think there was commentary about that in the Kobie discussion. There was on the Ogletree pick. Fish said let's not mess around or we'll lose him.

But maybe they had a low grade on David, I don't know. But for whatever reason they took Pead ...

So, what you say is possible, but it is also possible to trade back and get an equally great player, maybe even better and then have an extra premium pick.

And as I said, if it is not there, then don't do it but if the scenario si there, don't let the Pead trauma be a concern.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Here is a fake example. Assume the rankings of PFF are really the Rams board --- how it is stacked

Here we ar at 19 and we want and edge or CB --- the Cb we want is there but we like both the edge rushers that are
there. Houston doesn't need an edge, maybe they want someone else because they have good edges.

So, do we take the CB we like? Or trade down and think that one of the two edge rushers will be there.

In this case I traded down and got one of the two, but missed out on the CB.

If both edges were gone, then it's what you are talking about -- it's a bad move. But in this case
if Rams did this ... I'd just trust that their board was stacked right.

So that is why, for me -- - you may disagree --- in a vacuum, I trade down if I think same quality is there

But, it's a risk

2024-01-26_19-27-22.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So that is why, for me -- - you may disagree --- in a vacuum, I trade down if I think same quality is there
I believe we are in agreement here.
The way I see it:
-If a player is there that they want, they'll take him.
-If they have a group of players in the same range that they feel 1 or more will be available later, and are offered a lucrative trade, they take it

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Morris was a good d fencesive cordinator. he kept us among the leader in points allowed but i never like the bend but don't don't break defense. just because it keeps the defense on the field to much would rather give up a big play than have my defense on the field getting wore down than if you make them punt and the offense goes 3 and out than your defense really gets wore down would rather give up a big play and get our offense back on the field plus we can get more sack and possible turn over if we go to a more agressive defense.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if the voting on this poll would have been different if we knew that we'd lose so many assistant coaches to Atlanta as well?

Glad we got 2 3rd round comp picks. But man, it's a bummer to lose not only Raheem but all those other coaches, too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wonder if the voting on this poll would have been different if we knew that we'd lose so many assistant coaches to Atlanta as well?

Glad we got 2 3rd round comp picks. But man, it's a bummer to lose not only Raheem but all those other coaches, too.
Assistant coaches come and go every offseason. Part of the deal.

Wouldn’t change my mind one bit.