Poll: Do you think 2023 is a rebuild year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you think 2023 is a rebuild year?

• Yes

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It's a complicated question, and maybe people define "rebuild" in different ways.

A month ago, I would have thought the Rams would be "all in" again for 2023.

But then came the Wagner release news... then the Ramsey trade rumors... then the news that Robinson might get traded or cut...and finally, the news about probably releasing or trading Floyd. Sure sounds to me like the Rams are looking to trim some bloated contracts.

So what do you guys think? Is the "Super Bowl window" still wide open in 2023? Or are the Rams looking at 2023 as a year to fix the cap, save money, and invest in cheaper young talent with an eye on 2024? Or do you view 2023 as a "reload" but not a full "rebuild"?

So, what do ROD members think about the Rams' cap strategy, and whether or not we are still "all in"?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think years ago it would be called a rebuild.

These days, the modern NFL… the difference between the top and bottom teams is a thin wedge. I think the Rams see themselves having a year like the Lions or Jaguars where they are flawed but dangerous.

oldnotdead

Legend
They are absolutely going to be a contender. If they sign Mayfield that will be huge because it will lock down their QB1 position for years. With Stafford and Mayfield as their QBs they will have the best #1 & 2 in the league. Move AD to DE and Hoecht to JACK with Gaines at 3T and Brown at NT they will have a good DL even without another edge. I assume they will still obtain another edge via FA or draft. But this roster is built.

The only real question is will Morris play his best players in the secondary? If Jimmy Lake is their coach he will want them to play aggressively not passively as they have been under Morris. A Tampa Two scheme (I believe that is what Morris will move to as his base) and if Lake will have the freedom to play his choice of DBs then the Rams could potentially have Rochell and Durant as their starting boundary CBs with Hall or a safety at nickel. With Quentin Lake, Jordan Fuller, and Scott they already have their base nickel Tampa 2 players. I'm not averse to zone defenses if the DBs play aggressively and simply do not concede freebie dump offs. At UW the Huskies played both man and zone coverages. The DBs in zone contested every pass, the exact opposite of how Morris played his secondary. At UW under Jimmy Lake, the DBs were coached to read while in zone and to jump routes. His defense was one of the top scoring defenses in the NCAA.

The Rams may look like they are rebuilding but they are remodeling not rebuilding. People tend to underestimate the quality of this roster. They have the makings of an OL as good or better than the one they won the SB with on the roster right now. Give either Stafford or Mayfield time and Kupp, Jefferson, and Atwell can be deadly. All three WRs can get deep so defenses must defend all three over the entire field.

With Thomas, they have an OG with the athleticism to pull in a power run attack. They really only need inside and outside zone, and inside and outside power blocking. Too many of the runs failed not because of the RBs but because of the poor blocking technique of the OL. That is a huge part of why Carberry got fired. I like the fact that their new OL coach played ROG and center in the NFL so he knows the reality of playing at this level. The Bills run game suffered from poor playcalling not execution by the OL. I think he will raise the execution and consistency of the OL.

The Rams are retooling not rebuilding. The difference is they are trying to improve the level of play of their roster via improved coaching more than needing a massive infusion of talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F229E253-81DC-45CA-B22D-FA631E7DF81B.jpeg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's not a rebuild as long as we have Stafford, AD, JR and Kupp. We're just missing a LT from the Superbowl team.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd be tempted to go in the tank. Caleb Williams is that special a prospect in my view.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rebuild for me is a total gut job, a fire sale. We're not there.......yet.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Didn't Caleb Williams write "Fuck Utah" on his knuckles and then get destroyed? Lol

Maybe it's more of a "rebuild the Defense" and "retool the offense" year.

Raheem needs about 11 guys in coverage to be able to stop a pass play, so we'll be running out a whole new innovative scheme.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Next year too. AD retires, Higbee, Noteboom cut. Kupp may call it quits also. McVay to the booth and Snead crawls under a rock.
Rams will be unrecognizable after 2024.

(How's that for doom and gloom)

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i think if half the trade and cut rumors are true then this is surly a rebuild

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
No. I think "reorganize" or "retool" are the right words. Rebuilding usually means that what you built, has failed. Ours did not fail, but time has run out on how long we can run with some players. And honestly, everyone on the rumor trade block, aside from JR, hasn't played up to their pay grade. This is discounting the rumor of trading AD, bc I don't see that as a realistic rumor.

Ram65

Legend
It’s a rebuild the cap year.

No. I think "reorganize" or "retool" are the right words.

I didn't think they would be making big changes at the end of the season. I like both comments.

They could be reloading for 2024 but, will still attempt to be competitive in 2023. My hope is they retool the offensive line now and chip away at improving the defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no way Aaron Donald is playing his last season during a rebuild year

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nahh. More like getting rid of players that didn't pan out. Time for some new blood.

Which again. Nothing has actually happened yet. :laugh4:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter