Polian on QB selection at 1 overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just heard him answer the question on Sirius in impressive fashion. Paraphrasing here:

* Choosing between them is whether you like vanilla or strawberry. Just realized... Did Bill make a joke there? :p

Goff (Vanilla)
* Enough arm. Extremely accurate.
* Good athlete. Bill thought he ran faster than Wentz. Comfortable and good at moving in pocket.
* Great feet. Faced a lot of pressure and his feet would suffer at times.
* Skinny build for the NFL, and he discussed his metabolism issue and whether it changes things.
* Thinks he needs a year to adjust to NFL.
* Has some issues on crossing routes, but likely due to pressure. Some deep throw accuracy issues.

Wentz (Strawberry)
* Big arm. Went on about how ball leaps from his hand.
* Good athlete. Mentioned what bothers me too: Wentz's gung-ho running style which isn't good for NFL.
* Prototypical build. Then discussed level of competition and why he did not see it as a problem due to previous success of drafted prospects and his performance in the Senior Bowl.
* Thinks he needs a year to adjust to NFL.
* Mentioned Wentz's intelligence/getting a 40+ or whatever on the wonderlic.
* Has deep throw accuracy issues, but likely due to him throwing to guys who aren't fast enough.

* He did not mention hand size for Goff, so don't think he views it as even remotely a concern.
* He did not mention injury for Wentz, so don't think he views it as a concern.
* He mentioned that the reasons QBs fail are usually (1) Intelligence, (2) Inability to recall and quickly process, and (3) Lack of dedication to their craft. Went on to say those things are NOT concerns with either of these QBs, so I took it to mean both are relatively safe picks and I concur.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That's the thing ... I don't think we can go wrong either. the success or failure of either will be what and how you build around them. Neither is a "Ryan Leaf Bust Potential". Both are very smart, very athletic, great work ethics and solid persons off the field.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I agree that both QBs would be better off not starting right away. Maybe not a whole season since both are very smart but maybe 6-8 games.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
strawberry.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree that both QBs would be better off not starting right away. Maybe not a whole season since both are very smart but maybe 6-8 games.
That's going to be maddening isn't it? Your team gives up plenty picks to take a guy #1 at a position that a lot of people think has been the missing link to success and he's on the bench for half a season. That's going to be so anti-climatic for us fans. And I fully recognize that is very possibly what is fixing to happen to us and probably out of necessity. There is going to be a lot of Wentz, Wentz, Wentz or Goff, Goff, Goff chants this season at the Coliseum until one of them finally hits the field. And what if we are winning with Keenum when the coaches decide our new rookie QB is ready????

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think if manning and leaf were up against each other now it wouldn't even be a contest. i'm not sure leaf would even get drafted in the 1st round. teams now are all over prospects, not to mention the media. no way leaf's drug habit wouldn't have been known to all involved.

edit - my point, by all accounts goff and wentz do not have any skeletons in the closet and work hard on their trade. there shouldn't be bust potential in either.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Honestly, it sounds like from all the reports and videos, Wentz has a Manning-like obsession and approach to his job. His intangibles, along with his intense demeanor on the field, along with his athleticism, make him the pick for me. The things that he gets docked for come in time.

I will be crushed if is not Wentz, but my gut tells me it is.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And what if we are winning with Keenum when the coaches decide our new rookie QB is ready????
Yeah, that would be a terrible problem to have. :rimshot:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Honestly, it sounds like from all the reports and videos, Wentz has a Manning-like obsession and approach to his job. His intangibles, along with his intense demeanor on the field, along with his athleticism, make him the pick for me. The things that he gets docked for come in time.

Yes, he has a Manning-like obsession and approach to his job.

Yes, he has an intense demeanor on the field along with his athleticism.

Yes, you will be crushed, cuz it won't be Wentz. (I'll be with you, btw)

Sorry, man. I'm gonna give myself draft night and then just do my damnedest to just shake it off and move on.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

There's just too many similarities between Wentz and Fisher's draft histories for it not to be.

My gut feeling is Wentz too.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
"Crushed"

Some people just need to be saved from themselves

It'll be okay guys, just step away from the chulupa

Bizon

UDFA
<-------------- CAMP WENTZ

NDSU/Wentz fan here - I have nothing against Goff, I just really don't want to root for the Browns:(