Pointer happy to be on Rams roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_95da62eb-4c09-5242-ae74-deaf894cff0d.html

Defensive back Quinton Pointer got the good news — and the bad news — prior to the Rams’ 42-21 victory over the Chicago Bears last Sunday.

Promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster, he was ruled inactive for that day’s contest.

“It’s always a blessing to have an opportunity on the 53; a little disappointing, too, because you always want to play, but I just need to keep working,’’ he said. “Just gotta stay focused because you never know when you’ll get an opportunity to go out and make a play.’’

Signed as an undrafted free agent from UNLV, Pointer made two special-teams tackles in the 2012 season opener at Detroit before spending the next seven weeks on the practice squad. He split time between the practice squad and active roster a year ago, playing in six total games.

He again made the roster to open this season, only to be moved to the practice squad after three weeks.

He has yet to see action in 2013, but with rookie corner Brandon McGee slowed late this week with a foot injury, perhaps Pointer will get his chance Sunday against the 49ers in San Francisco.

“All I can do at this point is make sure that I’m prepared,’’ the 5-9, 194-pound Pointer said. “I’m definitely more comfortable this year because I have a better feel for how things are done. I get a chance to go against the No. 1s every day in practice and I see that as an opportunity to get better. Every day, I’m working my technique and doing what I can to make sure I’m ready to go when I get an opportunity.’’

INJURY REPORT

McGee (foot) and veteran linebacker Will Witherspoon (personal matter), did not practice Friday. McGee is questionable for Sunday while Witherspoon is probable. Right guard Harvey Dahl (knee), who has missed the last three games, was limited Friday and is questionable. The same is true for rookie safety T.J. McDonald (shin).

Defensive end Eugene Sims (foot) was a full participant in Friday’s practice and is probable. Also probable are the three Rams dealing with concussions and going through limited work on Friday — running back Zac Stacy, left guard Chris Williams and cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

San Francisco’s injury report includes 12 players, including a number of starters — linebackers NaVorro Bowman (knee/shoulder) and Dan Skuta (foot), receiver Mario Manningham (knee) and defensive tackle Justin Smith (shoulder) are listed probable, with running back Frank Gore (ankle), guard Mike Iupati (knee), defensive tackle Ray McDonald (ankle), cornerback Tarell Brown (rib) and linebackers Ahmad Brooks (stinger) and Aldon Smith (shoulder) listed questionable.

Iupati, McDonald and Brown have not practiced all week.

The Smiths, not related, were standout players at the University Missouri.

READY WHEN NEEDED

Stacy’s status for Sunday has little impact on the preparations of fellow rookie Benny Cunningham, who filled the void after Stacy was dinged up in last weekend’s 42-21 rout of the Chicago Bears.

“It’s not my call, who starts or who plays,’’ Cunningham said. “So I prepare myself as if I’m going to start that week; I’ve been doing that the whole season, so when my number is called, I’m ready to produce for the team.’’

Cunningham finished with career bests with 13 rushes and 109 yards. He also notched his first professional touchdown, a 9-yarder that capped a late seven-play, 80-yard drive that all but closed out the Rams’ victory.

In that drive, which came after the Bears trimmed St. Louis’ lead to 27-21, Cunningham ran six times for 61 yards.

“Wow,’’ Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “For a guy coming off an injury ... just the way he was able to perform last week when Zac went down. Big, strong, physical guy. Safeties don’t like seeing him coming. He bounced those people off him, but the thing about him, he’s got very good speed. ... Has a grasp of what we’re doing both from a run game and a pass protection standpoint. That’ the biggest concern when you’re playing young backs in pass protection, (but) all these young guys have a great feel for it.’’

Cunningham had 600 yards and 11 touchdowns through five games at Middle Tennessee State when a ruptured tendon in his knee put an end to his college career. The Rams signed him to a free agent deal shortly after the NFL Draft.

With back-to-back big games — he had 72 yards on just seven carries against the Colts on Nov. 10 — Cunningham seems to be the perfect complement to Stacy.

“I definitely see it as a plus,’’ the 23-year-old Cunningham said of having two quality power backs. “As as a group, whenever we’re having a successful running game, no matter how many carries I get, I feel like I’m a part of that. The running backs, we try to push each other every day and none of us has a selfish mentality. We just want to contribute any way we can.’’

RAM-BLING

Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers was not fined for his controversial roughing-the-passer call on a fourth-quarter sack of the Bears’ Josh McCown last Sunday.

The NFL did fine Chicago’s Kyle Long $7,875 for a personal foul after he jumped Rams defensive end William Hayes. Bears’ fullback Tony Fiametta also picked up a $7,875 fine for grabbing the facemask of Rams cornerback Johnson.

The Rams’ Chris Long was not fined for leaving the bench to pull his brother off teammate Hayes.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Happy to see Brockers not having to fight a fine on a perfect tackle!!!!!!! Dumbass ref!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams are going to need Pointer today and yes Benny Cunningham is a real find as it stands currently Benny is the best UDFA find this 2013. Its on par with the UDFA's of 2012 with H/Back/FB Harkey & Safety Rodney McLeod. It appears to me that Benny's outside run speed has diminished DR playing time greatly. Some of us new it was a matter of time with the starting back being DR.