Please Preserve our QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Matt Stafford, even with his occasional inconsistency…but I am concerned that the Rams lately rank 28th in the league in Play Action. Yes, Matt Stafford can simply drop back and hammer a defense with ferocity when given time….but…defenses have become less worried about our run game..and are pinning back the ears of their front 4 and exposing our lightweight guards(NFL Standards) in trying to protect Matt for long developing plays. The Rams are using PA roughly 23% of the time…in my opinion, this needs to change, or we are going to damage our QB’s health. Go Rams!

Flint

Pro Bowler
It’s interesting that McVay used to rely so heavily on PA and now he’s trying to kick it like a bad habit. At this point it looks like Stafford has maybe too much freedom and could use a little more structure as far as where the ball should go.
McVay had to rein himself in because of Goff’s shortcomings, now he needs to rein himself in because of Stafford’s aggression.
What happens if Stafford eats the ball against the Titans? One announcer said it wasn’t a safety cuz he was dragged back into the end zone, but giving them the safety and the last td they scored in the half would’ve made it 3-9. Both teams probably approach a one score game very differently.
That’s one area McVay can improve, crisis management, what do you do when the plan doesn’t work?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
McVay needs to get Stafford and the receivers to practice scramble plays. The first INT against the 49ers was a result of Stafford being flushed to the right when all receivers ran routes to the left. No receiver tried to run back towards so he threw it up to OBJ. He could have tried to throw it out of bounds but if someone worked back to him maybe he could have made a play. This is something the Seahawks do well with their receivers. Most of DKs yards against us were on plays where he improvised.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
McVay needs to get Stafford and the receivers to practice scramble plays. The first INT against the 49ers was a result of Stafford being flushed to the right when all receivers ran routes to the left. No receiver tried to run back towards so he threw it up to OBJ. He could have tried to throw it out of bounds but if someone worked back to him maybe he could have made a play. This is something the Seahawks do well with their receivers. Most of DKs yards against us were on plays where he improvised.
That type of thing just takes time to develop. These guys haven't even worked w each other a full season yet.
We should have expected our ups and downs this season. Lots of new players. Newish scheme and players dropping like flies. None of which the Rams have any control over.
Mcvay is a good coach, he's going to have to find that middle ground of being explosive and smacking another team in the mouth when we need to.

RamsOfCastamere

That type of thing just takes time to develop. These guys haven't even worked w each other a full season yet.
We should have expected our ups and downs this season. Lots of new players. Newish scheme and players dropping like flies. None of which the Rams have any control over.
Mcvay is a good coach, he's going to have to find that middle ground of being explosive and smacking another team in the mouth when we need to.
True with Stafford, but we didn't see Kupp or Woods do that with Goff. We only see that in the endzone.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
True with Stafford, but we didn't see Kupp or Woods do that with Goff. We only see that in the endzone.
Yeah timing and the way they throw the ball also has to be accounted for. No excuses really but it's gonna take time to "click"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Holy F Big Big Big Big F” Batman !!!

Did you actually see that play ?

I’m LMAO at some of the quotes & ideas of some poster(majority) on the negative & concepts of post.

1. First I love Raheem Morris as DC
2.I loved watching me some Bryce Perkins at QB & thinking preserved was until he got right(arm).He brings so much to the table in all phases of the position.
3.DD21 fun to watch.
4.Troy Reeder just holding his own.

As posted above I like the underdogs.
JJ Koski & Ben Sko.These guys have to make some noise.I think timing that Stafford has will be key.

—My point on that play above was there was only 2 WR’s that went out on STAFFORD’s first INT. Cooper Kupp was on the right side.

Higbee sort of screwed up on that play because he actually got behind Matthew.The pass protection was GREAT.The problem is Stafford is not what I thought in the pocket or as a QB before becoming a Ram.

If you go back & watch Copper Kupp is doubled up & to slow to get open.He is not that player.Sad,but true.Robert Woods is & Odell for sure.
That play blew up if you go back & look at it.Interesting & I’m sure will be talked about & broke down in a good way across the board.Which actually could Benefit The Rams more as a team than not winning.There is a lot of layers there like those things at Taco Bell.Who even knows the name ? A layered taco? Guess playing some Tuesday Night QBing.

GonRams

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah timing and the way they throw the ball also has to be accounted for. No excuses really but it's gonna take time to "click"
Agree my thoughts as well.

Go back & look at Tennessee game.Stafford had time to throw.

So as a QB Mcvay has woods,Jefferson,Higbee, & Kupp go out .Say 3 on on side or split ? Depending on where the TE lines up in motion.

Which WR do you throw it to & what’s your read. Timing & confidence is everything. Trust & ball location is another thing.

I’d say Stafford had Higbee wide open on a timing route.Do you throw it if that’s your read ? The other option is wait & see.

Tyler Higbee & The Rams WR are the sole reason The Rams lost as BIG as they did & NEVER gave Raheem Morris’s defense a chance.

There is a lot of blame,but the dropped passes are inexcusable.

Now for all the Fans calling for the Run game & Sony aren’t giving Darrel Henderson & The Offensive Line there due on how well that part of The Rams is.

To each his or she there own.Bottom Line is The Rams have & need to be better. This Green Bay game is a Real Test.
I’m not calling this a mist win for The Rams against Green Bay,but a True Test to see if they really a SuperBowl contender. A win would show they are better than last year when GB won.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I love Matt Stafford, even with his occasional inconsistency…but I am concerned that the Rams lately rank 28th in the league in Play Action. Yes, Matt Stafford can simply drop back and hammer a defense with ferocity when given time….but…defenses have become less worried about our run game..and are pinning back the ears of their front 4 and exposing our lightweight guards(NFL Standards) in trying to protect Matt for long developing plays. The Rams are using PA roughly 23% of the time…in my opinion, this needs to change, or we are going to damage our QB’s health. Go Rams!
This is my fear as well. I see a future where an aging QB gets dinged up a lot...plays hurt a lot and misses games from time to time. Think of Toney Romo's last few yrs or Ben Rothilsberger of late.

And as a result it's hard to put together sustainable success that results in a top seed and serious SB run.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Losing Cam Akers really hurt the Rams running game. That may have something to do with the lack of PA. Then again, sometimes coaches simply get trigger happy in the play calling when they have a guy that can really sling it. They're going to have to find that balance.

RamsOfCastamere

Holy F Big Big Big Big F” Batman !!!

Did you actually see that play ?

I’m LMAO at some of the quotes & ideas of some poster(majority) on the negative & concepts of post.

1. First I love Raheem Morris as DC
2.I loved watching me some Bryce Perkins at QB & thinking preserved was until he got right(arm).He brings so much to the table in all phases of the position.
3.DD21 fun to watch.
4.Troy Reeder just holding his own.

As posted above I like the underdogs.
JJ Koski & Ben Sko.These guys have to make some noise.I think timing that Stafford has will be key.

—My point on that play above was there was only 2 WR’s that went out on STAFFORD’s first INT. Cooper Kupp was on the right side.

Higbee sort of screwed up on that play because he actually got behind Matthew.The pass protection was GREAT.The problem is Stafford is not what I thought in the pocket or as a QB before becoming a Ram.

If you go back & watch Copper Kupp is doubled up & to slow to get open.He is not that player.Sad,but true.Robert Woods is & Odell for sure.
That play blew up if you go back & look at it.Interesting & I’m sure will be talked about & broke down in a good way across the board.Which actually could Benefit The Rams more as a team than not winning.There is a lot of layers there like those things at Taco Bell.Who even knows the name ? A layered taco? Guess playing some Tuesday Night QBing.

GonRams
WTF???????

If you're going to quote someone and respond with LMAO, provide context and BE SPECIFIC!

Don't respond with something that vague that's not related to the post.

WTF does this have to do with my thoughts on improvising when a play breaks down?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
WTF???????

If you're going to quote someone and respond with LMAO, provide context and BE SPECIFIC!

Don't respond with something that vague that's not related to the post.

WTF does this have to do with my thoughts on improvising when a play breaks down?

Who does Stafford throw to ? There was only Cooper Kupp that went out on that INT. He was double teamed so how is he going to work to get open ?

He is slow,but an excellent route runner.Once he has stopped your not going to get much else from him,especially with his knee injury.

OBj was breaking it off because he was double teamed as well. The only thing Stafford could do was to run or wait for OBj,but then he would have had to reestablished a pocket which he would have had to go backwards to do it.Talk about blindside if not,plus Lineman don’t know where he would go.

I don’t know if that is the play for sure ?

RamsOfCastamere

Who does Stafford throw to ? There was only Cooper Kupp that went out on that INT. He was double teamed so how is he going to work to get open ?

He is slow,but an excellent route runner.Once he has stopped your not going to get much else from him,especially with his knee injury.

OBj was breaking it off because he was double teamed as well. The only thing Stafford could do was to run or wait for OBj,but then he would have had to reestablished a pocket which he would have had to go backwards to do it.Talk about blindside if not,plus Lineman don’t know where he would go.

I don’t know if that is the play for sure ?
I used that play as an example but I'm talking about improvising in general. On that play, it is difficult to pull off with only two deep routes downfield but I would like to see an attempt since Stafford had a clean pocket. Being doubled on plays like this doesn't matter since you can change directions and lose both defenders.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I used that play as an example but I'm talking about improvising in general. On that play, it is difficult to pull off with only two deep routes downfield but I would like to see an attempt since Stafford had a clean pocket. Being doubled on plays like this doesn't matter since you can change directions and lose both defenders.

The Higbee TD catch called back was a good example of working his way back. —Thought it was a TD,but when I saw it at home he stepped out.
Jefferson missed another when he found a soft spot in that game as well.

Ben Sko I think is going to be a good WR. He has talent & better than most think imo. Time will tell.