Please get me straight on OT Isaiah Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Predicting the bottom 2-3 OL players is almost a fool's errand at this point.

Hell, it's not even clear whether we keep 9 or 10 players on the 53.

Bonifay raises a good point about Battle. We just haven't seen enough from him this camp due to injury. Not good for him in a competition at OT this deep. OTOH, it's intriguing to hear of him pancaking Ram DE's like Sims...

One thing appears certain. This OL will be deep, and there will be excruciating cuts necessary in 2 weeks.

Best OL situation that the Rams have enjoyed in years.

As an aside, I'm not at all sure that Kush makes it as a backup C. The coaches seem to be straining to find an alternative player that also has good value as an OG or OT. They've tried Rhaney, Wichmann, and Donnal that we know of.
Never heard of them trying Wichmann except last year in OTAs when they didn't have any centers so he was the center by default. Did they try him there in camp?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I still wonder what his injuries have been???

I recall reading somewhere he was having issues with his knee swelling. So maybe a knee sprain or minor miniscus problem. The later would eventually require a scope. I have had two knee scopes and they take about a month from which to recover. Heard Battle returned to practice yesterday so that is good news.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Battle was on the field and took snaps at RT with the 2's yesterday. they're bringing him along slowly. 1 play then he came out. Next series, one play and then out. He's wearing a knee brace.

Battle is a big guy and doesn't have the typical OL build. Very athletic and trim, no gut or big azz. guy is strong. He's got a future with the Rams, but I don't believe its anytime soon. Backup this year at best.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has really improved.Doubt that. He is even playing center . Rhaney is totally gone. That just tells you how muchThe Rams have improved.

I just have a feeling it comes down to him, Battle, and Williams. People are saying that they think Battle makes it. Based on what I saw last year, I'd take Williams over Donnal.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I just have a feeling it comes down to him, Battle, and Williams. People are saying that they think Battle makes it. Based on what I saw last year, I'd take Williams over Donnal.
I would agree since both have the ability to play both tackle spots. Donnal looks improved but only can play OG and RT. With our depth at OG being vastly improved Donnal''s value is small.
Edit since Donnal is cheap and young maybe we keep him and cut Reynolds.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Never heard of them trying Wichmann except last year in OTAs when they didn't have any centers so he was the center by default. Did they try him there in camp?

Thought I read a camp report about them putting Wichmann in at C for a few snaps, hotanez. Can't remember which camp reporter, though.

BTW, I still find your avatar extremely distracting, man. Not that I'm complaining in the least. Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I recall reading somewhere he was having issues with his knee swelling. So maybe a knee sprain or minor miniscus problem. The later would eventually require a scope. I have had two knee scopes and they take about a month from which to recover. Heard Battle returned to practice yesterday so that is good news.
http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Isaiah-Battle-carted-practice-field-23813?ref=best-updates
Former Clemson offensive tackle Isaiah Battle was carted off the Rams' practice field on Wednesday according to multiple reports."He's been dealing with a little knee issue and some swelling, and I think it kind of buckled on him," head coach Jeff Fisher said to reporters after practice.There have been no other injury update on his condition.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/17/12527910/los-angeles-rams-isaiah-battle-carted-off-injury

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think I'd keep Williams over him tbh. But the answer to the question posed by @BonifayRam is upside. Guys his size with that kind of feet are hard to find. It's why the Rams took him in that expansion draft, and why they still have him listed ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

Here's what I think we're gonna see with that OL:

LT: GRob / Williams
LG: Wichmann / Reynolds
C: Barnes / Kush
RG: Saffold / Brown
RT: Havenstein / Donnal

* Reynolds is first guy off the bench for either OG or RT.
* Saffold is primary backup for LT.
* OG has Brown waiting behind Reynolds if neeeded.
* Donnal has been practicing in different spots, think he edges out Battle.

This is an impressively deep line this year. Really, really happy with the way it looks right now.

Battle and
Demetrius Rhaney,on the way out.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Thought I read a camp report about them putting Wichmann in at C for a few snaps, hotanez. Can't remember which camp reporter, though.

BTW, I still find your avatar extremely distracting, man. Not that I'm complaining in the least. Lol.
You might be right didn't read every camp report out there.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wichmann got some snaps @ C yesterday. Donnal getting reps @ LG. Fisher and Boo not happy with backup C? I have no confidence in Rhaney @ C. Donnal also gets a lot of reps @ RT and does a good job there. Bigger, stronger, strength and condioning program in off season really helped . Donnal should make the 53.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Wichmann got some snaps @ C yesterday. Donnal getting reps @ LG. Fisher and Boo not happy with backup C? I have no confidence in Rhaney @ C. Donnal also gets a lot of reps @ RT and does a good job there. Bigger, stronger, strength and condioning program in off season really helped . Donnal should make the 53.
How did Donnal look at LG?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree from that stand point. I think he beats out Kush ?? CI also think The Rams stock pile players on IR.IE --Ishae Battle

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Kind of sucks that Battle has been banged up and limited... But my take is this;

Unlike other positions... Along the oline... The coaches see what they need from technique and athleticism in practice suitable enough to make player evaluations.

Other positions (QB and WR) as example, the game evaluation is much more important.

I think Battle makes this team.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Predicting the bottom 2-3 OL players is almost a fool's errand at this point.

Hell, it's not even clear whether we keep 9 or 10 players on the 53.

Bonifay raises a good point about Battle. We just haven't seen enough from him this camp due to injury. Not good for him in a competition at OT this deep. OTOH, it's intriguing to hear of him pancaking Ram DE's like Sims...

One thing appears certain. This OL will be deep, and there will be excruciating cuts necessary in 2 weeks.

Best OL situation that the Rams have enjoyed in years.

As an aside, I'm not at all sure that Kush makes it as a backup C. The coaches seem to be straining to find an alternative player that also has good value as an OG or OT. They've tried Rhaney, Wichmann, and Donnal that we know of.
This very good O-line and ridiculous running back talent...............I might say we get ranked in the teens by week 4 of the Power Rankings by shredding teams with no way to stop us other than 11 in the box. And for once, we have a passing game. LOOK OUT!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kind of sucks that Battle has been banged up and limited... But my take is this;

Unlike other positions... Along the oline... The coaches see what they need from technique and athleticism in practice suitable enough to make player evaluations.

Other positions (QB and WR) as example, the game evaluation is much more important.

I think Battle makes this team.
Yes it does....Here was a great opportunity for Isaiah Battle to seal the deal in his NFL career we had our starting ORT injured going into TC, our main 2015 reserve ORT had been rehabbing a grade 3 knee sprain earlier in the yr, our long time emergency OT had just went through 2 reconstructive shoulder surgeries & had been in rehab forever......so much going for Isaiah Battle....

Most of the time if your knee continues to swell, continues to need draining & there is a weakness occurring in that knee .......there is a problem that will need to be taken care @ sometime or another. IB has been cleared to return to play here going into the next to last pre season game. No telling just how long that knee will hold up & where it will take him.

With GRob's last season under contract in 2017 it would have been wonderful if IB has been able to come in to Rams camp remain healthy & make great strides in competition with the other 8 OT's in camp. Truly IB is a Ram OL'er with the physical tools to play OLT in the NFL. IB will be a easy sign in 2018 when he will be a RFA. When it comes to the point in 2018 that the Ram org can not afford to pay GRob what his position pays in the NFL ..... IB needs to be here groomed & ready to protect Goff. But the Rams released IB before regular season began last season so its not out of the question again.

If I were Boudreau I would give IB all the work he can stand @ both OT posts. If it were me I would work IB on every offensive down. With Havenstein, Saffold & Donnal all active on the roster now the ORT post is nicely secured down. The OLT also is in decent but not in as good condition as ORT. GRob/ Williams & surprise Pace Murphy have done well enough. But in truth GRob as of yet has not been solidly challenged IMO. We will see tonight early what the real status of GRob is!

IB has 8 days before final cuts that's a very short period of time. Yes CGI he very well may make this team but If that sore nagging knee kicks back up do not be surprised if IB is place on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform & be considered for the “Designated For Return” IR in mid October. For as we know the Rams OL always averages have a half dozen injuries each & every season. Rams were lucky last season they only had five:huh:.