Please get me straight on OT Isaiah Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Question here for all our members................Why has OT Isaiah Battle being placed on the final proposed 53 player roster by so many fans? I read often here & many other forums seeing him listed as the third swing OT over many other reserve OT's. I see my fellow members here having him assigned to the 53 player roster? I think what am I missing here I must be one dumb Ram fan. I just don't see it. I have not seen it. I have yet to see him take on any DE on the field in any NFL game regular season or pre season to this date.

The epic adventure of #1-OLT Greg Robinson is well posted about. Meanwhile I know a good amount about #2- OT Rob Havenstein who was the top rookie ORT last season. I have also consider myself a well informed fan on what #3- OT Rodger Saffold has done playing both OT positions for many seasons. I have seen #4- OT Darrell Williams last season in cameo series handle both of the OT posts in a actual NFL games & held his own without any issues, same can be said about both his pre season games this season. I watched rookie 4th rd. selection #5- OT Andrew Donnal last season as a rookie start 2 OL positions @ ORT & OLG & finish a game as the starter @ ORG post plus. I have observe Donnal in both pre season games mostly @ ORT but some ORG. Donnal has looked very much improved from last season & has played very well. I also seen rookie #6- OLT Pace Murphy play like a long time veteran making zero mistakes in both 3rd & 4th quarter action in both pre season games. Even #7 OT Swindle has looked good late in both pre season games @ ORT.

Now is it possible for someone tell me what our No#8 OT Isaiah Battle has done? & Why is do we have so many automatic projected assignments to the master 53 player roster? Can anyone take the time to help out this dumb clueless Ram fan & make a serious argument :rant:on the behalf of OT Isaiah Battle.o_O.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My earlier posted 53 has Battle on the practice squad. Haven't seen Battle do anything yet. Williams & Donnal still lead the 2'nds in my book.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Good question. He has been sidelined all during camp so to your point, why should he be projected as a 53 roster member?

Must be because of his draft position and talk last year of being red-shirted.

I don't see him on the 53, I think another year on PS.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to not see game action they IR him for the year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You shape your roster not just on what a player is - but what he can be.

Battle can be not just serviceable but really really good. They knew - like GRob that he was a project when they took him. Like GRob, he may be worth the wait.

…..

Legend
The Rams have Battle listed as 2nd string OLT on the official depth chart, that could be one of the reasons.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have no argument with your perception of Battle @BonifayRam.. Battle for me was about 55/45 % to make the 53 going into preseason. I was hoping he stepped up and became a true contender for the 3rd swing tackle spot in a close competition with Donnal. Since he's been injured/quiet, my attention span for him has kind of been lost like his recent camp reports etc..

Last year the 2015 initial 53 man roster kept 10 O-LINEMAN... Fisher might only keep 9 this year and as of today I.B is not one of those 9 going into the Denver game. Isaiah needs to Battle his ass back in the mix or another practice squad slot to start the 2016 season is on the menu.

C Tim Barnes.... Demetrius Rhaney
RG Rodger Saffold.... Garrett Reynolds
LG Jamon Brown ....Cody Wichmann
RT Rob Havenstein.... Andrew Donnal
LT Greg Robinson..... Darrell Williams________ 10 O-LINEMAN Kept in 2015

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...s-roster-preview-depth-chart-ot-isaiah-battle
November 17, 2015: (T) Rob (Havenstein). Rob left the game with a calf injury and it’s not as significant as we feared last night. He’ll be day-to-day, possibly week-to-week, but he’ll be returning. So, at some point here we’ll be placing on injured reserve both J.B. and Darrell, which means our intention is to bring up (T) Isaiah (Battle) off the practice squad.

After being promoted to the active roster and being "a snap away from playing", he subsequently missed the team bus and was not active the following weekend.

I'm having a hard enough time trying to convince myself Fisher will keep 10 OL's again in 2016. Battle needs to show up against Denver and Minnesota and do we even know if he's going to suit up vs Denver?

This years O-LINE appears to be much more polished and plenty deep. The bubble players are going to need every snap right up until the final whistle at Minnesota... Tough choices to sort out with the 8th, 9th, & if Fisher again keeps a 10th Offensive Lineman..

Rams_Offensive_Line.0.jpg

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Question here for all our members................Why has OT Isaiah Battle being placed on the final proposed 53 player roster by so many fans? I read often here & many other forums seeing him listed as the third swing OT over many other reserve OT's. I see my fellow members here having him assigned to the 53 player roster? I think what am I missing here I must be one dumb Ram fan. I just don't see it. I have not seen it. I have yet to see him take on any DE on the field in any NFL game regular season or pre season to this date.
Possibly because he has been seen "Pancaking" a lot of our own "D" Players in practice! That says a lot with our D!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
IMO it has always been Williams v Battle for the tenth spot with the Rams preferring Battle because they spent a pick on him. Battle came in ahead starting at RT in OTAs, but then the injury bug hit in camp and he hasn't played at all in the preseason. Haven't seen him at all the best we can expect is the practice squad because he is still one of the most talented tackles we have.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think I'd keep Williams over him tbh. But the answer to the question posed by @BonifayRam is upside. Guys his size with that kind of feet are hard to find. It's why the Rams took him in that expansion draft, and why they still have him listed ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

Here's what I think we're gonna see with that OL:

LT: GRob / Williams
LG: Wichmann / Reynolds
C: Barnes / Kush
RG: Saffold / Brown
RT: Havenstein / Donnal

* Reynolds is first guy off the bench for either OG or RT.
* Saffold is primary backup for LT.
* OG has Brown waiting behind Reynolds if neeeded.
* Donnal has been practicing in different spots, think he edges out Battle.

This is an impressively deep line this year. Really, really happy with the way it looks right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be surprised if Donnal is the odd man out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

He has really improved.Doubt that. He is even playing center . Rhaney is totally gone. That just tells you how muchThe Rams have improved.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
My response to your question Boni is as some others have noted. Battle fits the physical LT prototype (much more so than every ram tackle, maybe even including GRob) Good strength, Long body w/long arms, quick footed and and an overall very good athlete for his size. Athletic long armed Big men like this are really hard to find. My impression from reports is that he has played pretty well in practice stints between the injuries, just not on any games. Given the injury though and the much improved tackle depth our Rams now have, his physical potential may not be enough for him to make the cut. With the depth youth and versatility the Rams now have on the line, I think our Rams may decide to keep only 9 OL to fortify other spots on the team. If so, only one of the three (Battle, Williams, & Donnal) will make the regular 53. In that case I put my money on Williams. If cut, Battle is a longshot to make it to the practice squad. Anther way to stash him is if His injury is serious to enough to IR him.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Same exact reason we kept Quick for so long. Size and draft status. Now a 5th round pick shouldn't be a big deal, but in a supplemental draft I think the value is inflated a bit.

I personally prefer Williams over Battle, but Battle over Donnal. We shall see.

…..

Legend
Battle hasn't even fully developed in strength yet.....but he's handled our defensive ends pretty well in practice. (according to reports) That probably tells a lot of the story right there. There are several variables that go into this. Some we know but some we do not. Maturity level, work ethic, good team mate or bad?

Despite a valid question brought forth by @BonifayRam , I still say he makes the 53. If he doesn't make it, then he'll be on the PUP list.

…..

Legend

And that's despite the fact that he's apparently strengthened up and improved. What we have is a good problem to have if Donnal is the bubble guy. We may end up recovering a draft pick or two when its all said and done. Not saying Donnal is the bait either....just saying we have enough on the current roster to cover a trade.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Predicting the bottom 2-3 OL players is almost a fool's errand at this point.

Hell, it's not even clear whether we keep 9 or 10 players on the 53.

Bonifay raises a good point about Battle. We just haven't seen enough from him this camp due to injury. Not good for him in a competition at OT this deep. OTOH, it's intriguing to hear of him pancaking Ram DE's like Sims...

One thing appears certain. This OL will be deep, and there will be excruciating cuts necessary in 2 weeks.

Best OL situation that the Rams have enjoyed in years.

As an aside, I'm not at all sure that Kush makes it as a backup C. The coaches seem to be straining to find an alternative player that also has good value as an OG or OT. They've tried Rhaney, Wichmann, and Donnal that we know of.