Please Explain the Calls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Rams return it to the 26 yd line. A Ram holding occurs at the 20 yd line. Worst case scenario the Rams start 1st and 10 at the 10. But wait, the Redskins commit a personal fouls for face mask! So, what happens? The Rams are punished for the Redskin personal foul and start at the 2!

How is this possible and if it was correct, going forward the Rams kick off special teams should have designated players on the sidelines looking for obvious penalties of holding that a flag is thrown for. At that time begin yelling flag or some code word and somebody make sure they grab a face mask not to injure but just to make sure it is called. Make the same rule be applied and have them start inside the 5. Make the NFL address this ridiculous rule and change it if it was even interpreted right.

Next, why did Washington start at their own 30 yd line on the touchback for the last drive? No penalty was announced by the refs or announcers.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I hear ya, Bro!

But with your plan, we have to be careful. The rule as explained by the very competent referee said the ball is moved back to where the change of possession occurred. So unless the kick is fielded in the field of play and not the end zone, then your plan would/could work. If it is fielded in the end zone then the ball would be moved out to the 25.

Just a really stupid rule just like the tuck rule.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the rule it's dead wrong and should be addressed . It penalizes the wrong team . I still think they just screwed it up

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
After a little bit of thought, I remember this being implemented when the league was trying to speed up the game.

Off setting penalties means we replay the down, but instead of getting everyone lined up again for a kickoff or a punt, they apply this rule.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
It has to have been the wrong call. Shouldn't they have rekicked it?
Nope, see my post just above your's. Speed of the game for TV was the factor in getting that rule in place.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nope, see my post just above your's. Speed of the game for TV was the factor in getting that rule in place.

Was in the wrong interpretation, if the Rams had downed the ball in the end zone, would it had been a safety? The rule needs to be amended to read, that if on the kickoff, it goes to the end of the play not where the kickoff was caught.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Anyone have any insight as to what out coaches were grilling the refs for on the sideline? Heard the announcers bring it up a few times.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think the refs effed it up. With the call going against the kicking team there is no way the ball should have been spotted where it was.

Boger. That says it all IMO. And if I'm McVay I am petitioning the league office about it.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Was in the wrong interpretation, if the Rams had downed the ball in the end zone, would it had been a safety? The rule needs to be amended to read, that if on the kickoff, it goes to the end of the play not where the kickoff was caught.

Or just default it as a touchback. Anything is better than saying start at the 2

BKBISTRO

UDFA
Boger is an idiot. I was only listening to the game and knew it was him just from the dumb sound of his voice.
He should be investigated for incompetence, kind of like how Adelaide Byrd is in the boxing world.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Anyone have any insight as to what out coaches were grilling the refs for on the sideline? Heard the announcers bring it up a few times.

They kept missing obvious holding calls against Donald as well as obvious false starts on their RT, including on their game winning TD.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
They kept missing obvious holding calls against Donald as well as obvious false starts on their RT, including on their game winning TD.

I noticed the false start, too, by either the RG or RT.

Quinn and Donald getting held is almost a given nowadays.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams should have declined the penalty on Washington, then been penalized 10 yards for holding, would have gotten ball at 10 yard line

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear ya, Bro. But with your plan, we have to be careful. The rule as explained by the very competent referee said the ball is moved back to where the change of possession occurred. So unless the kick is fielded in the field of play and not the end zone, then your plan would/could work. If it is fielded in the end zone then the ball would be moved out to the 25.

Just a really stupid rule just like the tuck rule.

Shouldn't the Rams have at least been given the option to decline the face mask and start at the 10? Also, still waiting to hear why Washington started their final drive at the 30.
One final refereeing comment. On their final drive, they immediately faced a 3rd and 7. To start the play their tackle kicked back before the snap and no call. They picked up the 1st down instead. I did it in frame by frame and it is a fact. Had the refs that just threw 5 flags against the Rams on their game tying drive had the same good eyes, they are in 3rd and 12. They then missed another obvious hold against Donald I believe 2 plays after the first one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still annoyed by how stupid that rule was. The Redskins committing a personal foul screwed us over. That's bullshit. We should have had the option to decline that penalty.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shouldn't the Rams have at least been given the option to decline the face mask and start at the 10? Also, still waiting to hear why Washington started their final drive at the 30.
One final refereeing comment. On their final drive, they immediately faced a 3rd and 7. To start the play their tackle kicked back before the snap and no call. They picked up the 1st down instead. I did it in frame by frame and it is a fact. Had the refs that just threw 5 flags against the Rams on their game tying drive had the same good eyes, they are in 3rd and 12. They then missed another obvious hold against Donald I believe 2 plays after the first one.

They called a penalty on us (offsides).

Washington got away with a few false starts today and a lot of holding. But nothing you can do about that. We still could have won the game. We failed.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
After a little bit of thought, I remember this being implemented when the league was trying to speed up the game.

Off setting penalties means we replay the down, but instead of getting everyone lined up again for a kickoff or a punt, they apply this rule.
It took longer for them to interpret the call in this idiotic fashion the to just redo the kick

KDS73

Rookie
Don't see why everyone is so hung up on that one call / rule. The offense still screwed the pooch afterwards by going 3 and out. And after a great punt, the Skins started way back at their 35, so it's not like they benefited greatly from it. And with how terrible the run defense was at that point, I don't think it would've mattered where they started from.