Plays that shaped Rams' season: No. 10/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Plays that shaped Rams' season: No. 10
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15544/plays-that-shaped-rams-season-no-10

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Last year, we spent 10 days examining the 10 plays that shaped the St. Louis Rams' 7-9 season. Now, we begin this year's version where each day we will examine another play that helped define the team's 6-10 2014 output.

On Sept. 21, the Rams jumped out to a 21-0 lead against the Dallas Cowboys. It was a stunning start and the Rams looked poised to go to 2-1 on the season and build some momentum heading into an early bye week. After allowing 10 unanswered points to end the first half, the Rams needed to start the second half with a stop to slow Dallas' momentum.

Four plays into the third quarter, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo found a wide open Dez Bryant for an easy 68-yard touchdown to make it 21-17. While the Rams still had the lead, it was an ominous sign not only for that game but other games that would follow.

Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins spent the day shadowing Bryant and had done an exemplary job but a miscommunication between Jenkins and safety Rodney McLeod allowed Bryant to break free for the easy score. Jenkins took Bryant underneath with McLeod supposed to provide the help over the top. Instead, McLeod took the crossing route over the middle but failed to communicate that to Jenkins.

“It was supposed to be passed off, but it was not communicated," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said then. “He can tell the corner that he’s going to take the crossing route. He didn’t.”

Jenkins also took the bait on Bryant's double move, looking to jump underneath as Bryant continued on the post route. Earlier in the game, Jenkins had intercepted Romo and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown, throwing up Bryant's trademark 'X' as celebration in the process.

"As soon as I seen him flip his hips, I knew I had him," Bryant said after the game.

Dallas soon surged ahead and claimed a 34-31 victory in a game that the Rams had there for the taking. But the larger issue on the miscommunication was that it was just one of a number of costly coverage busts that continued to plague the Rams all season. Even after the Rams' defense got it rolling in the second half of the season, the coverage busts continued and left the Rams frustrated time and again.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I remember that game.

th

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Hey Nick. Nice piece. Simply cannot wait to see the other nine.

Are you ever going to write anything that contains anything even remotely resembling something that might be construed as an original thought.

Honest to God, do you actually get paid for this shit?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, this is the shit that fans really want to relive when thinking back on the season.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's 10 plays that defined the season. That was definitely one. I don't really see the harm in the article. It's a bad play that set a tone for the rest of the season, at least the first half of the season. It's not like anyone forgot we were 6-10. There should be plenty of positive plays, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When you're losinv as much as we are it ain't hard to find 10 bad plays. That happens in one game.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hey Nick. Nice piece. Simply cannot wait to see the other nine.

Are you ever going to write anything that contains anything even remotely resembling something that might be construed as an original thought.

Honest to God, do you actually get paid for this crap?
Wagoner can Kiss my LWA!!!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Even without digging up the highlight, I remember this play for something else - the painfully obvious uncalled hold where the Dallas OL dragged down Kendall Langford by the horsecollar when he had a free run at Tony Romo. If a running back had been tackled like that, it would have been called a penalty. (watch the one 47 seconds in)

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000397970/Romo-connects-with-Dez-Bryant-for-a-68-yard-touchdown

I thought this was a piece on the plays that shaped the Rams season, yet on this play he completely omits the biggest part of the play, and the part that best describes the Rams season. The Rams season was shaped more by the non called holds than a few miscommunications. Romo would have never had time to throw that pass without the hold.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
The "roughing" the passer that was called was bigger in my opinion. Rams up 21-0 and on 3rd down again stopped them. That penalty allowed them to continue the drive and then they scored a td on that drive that should have rightfully been over. I honestly think that if that terrible call wasn't made, the Rams win that game. Dallas doesn't start to get momentum on that drive without that call.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He could do a totally separate article called top ten blown calls that defined a season.

Or one called top fifty no calls on Seattle that allow them to play in the SB.

Top ten Belicheat dick moves.