Playing Houston makes me think of Earl Campbell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You young guys probably never heard of him.
I watched this live on TV back in the day. This guy was a LOAD.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9y_KZwOq9g[/youtube]

Another angle of this shit...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsegJVLrmk8[/youtube]

I'm thankful he's not in the backfield this Sunday. Still have flashbacks about this one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't heard of Earl Campbell? Ye of little faith!

nighttrain

Legend
jrry32 said:
Haven't heard of Earl Campbell? Ye of little faith!
Isaiah Robertson remembers The Earl
train
ps it was a good hit that turned into being run over by a bus, poor Isaiah and it was on TV live,hit em low is the moral...
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Campbell at his best is my all time favorite non Ram

moklerman

Warner-phile
Just think, that'd be a penalty on Campbell in today's NFL.

I never got to see him play as an Oiler but even as a Saint he and USFL alumni Bobby Hebert would torment the Rams.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Most people don't know that Campbell did that to one HELL of a football player in Robertson. If you aren't a long time Ram fan you probably just assume that #58 was just some stiff.

Just goes to show what a freaking beast Earl Campbell was.....

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Yup remember that game well.

That was back when football was football.

nighttrain

Legend
PowayRamFan said:
Most people don't know that Campbell did that to one HELL of a football player in Robertson. If you aren't a long time Ram fan you probably just assume that #58 was just some stiff.

you bet, i go back a long way, Robertson a very very good LB
train

jap

Legend
PowayRamFan said:

I was about to say something similar. Isaiah was a standout LB for the Rams, but he greatly underestimated the Earl Train's power when he merely stood up in front of that oncoming locomotive. He should have been moving forward to meet Earl - that would have been an even more dramatic collision. :ww:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
God I hate that clip! And, I'm sure I've seen it replayed 1000 times since seeing it live.

I had the great misfortune of living in TX for several years and Earl is still, and rightfully so, a legend there. I did not see the game when he played at Univ. of TX but had a friend who claimed he was at the game when Earl ran out of bounds and into their mascot, a real Longhorn cow, and knocked the cow over.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
The "Tyler Rose" coached in the NFL by Bum Phillips, my favorite quote by Bum about Earl,

Coach does it bother you he gets up so slow?
"Nah, he goes down just as slow"

Another " He may not be in a class of his own, but don't take long ta call the roll"

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Bum had some awesome quotes. My favorite was when a reporter asked him why his wife accompanied him everywhere he went. Bum's reply, "She's too ugly to kiss goodbye".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Ram_of_Old

Thanks for the memories! Yes, Earl was a load. I hated to see the Rams play the Oilers. He was like a bull each time he touched the ball. A linebacker had little chance to bring the guy down, much less a cornerback.

Thank you again for recalling a true warrior of the NFL. :good1:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ram_of_Old said:
Thanks for the memories! Yes, Earl was a load. I hated to see the Rams play the Oilers. He was like a bull each time he touched the ball. A linebacker had little chance to bring the guy down, much less a cornerback.

Thank you again for recalling a true warrior of the NFL. :good1:

Roger Wehrli did and the Cardinals pretty well handled him and the Oilers.
But for some crappy lifestyle changes and advice to take the sideline from Franco Harris Otis Anderson was as good as or possible even better than EC.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Thordaddy said:
But for some crappy lifestyle changes and advice to take the sideline from Franco Harris Otis Anderson was as good as or possible even better than EC.

Not sure what lifestyle changes you're referring to but the bolded part got my attention.

OJ was a helluva back but I'd never thought of him as being in the same class as EC before so I had to do some research.

Earl collected a bit more individual hardware in an 8 year career. He won the Heisman Trophy in '77 and became the #1 overall selection in the '78 NFL Draft after which he was named NFL Offensive ROY, 5X Pro Bowl, 3X All Pro, 3X NFL Offensive POY, 3X NFL Rushing Champ and '79 NFL MVP.

OJ was drafted #8 overall the year after Campbell but played 13 seasons and had 2 SB rings and a SB MVP to his credit. He was named NFL Offensive ROY, 2X Pro Bowl, 2 X All Pro and NFL Comeback POY in his 10th season!

Both rushed for 1,000 yards in 5 of their first 6 seasons, falling short in the strike-shortened '82 season. Career stats were very similar.

OJ was an outstanding pro for a long time for a RB and Earl was awesome to watch in his prime but his production really fell off after his 6th year due to his running style and the beating his body took.

Having seen both play I still don't know if I'd put OJ in Earl's class at least in their primes but right now I'd take either in a heartbeat. :cheese:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He made me scared for the D players lives when we played him. It must have been like tackling a bull at the rodeo.
What a great player.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Lunchbox said:
Thordaddy said:

Not sure what lifestyle changes you're referring to but the bolded part got my attention.

OJ was a helluva back but I'd never thought of him as being in the same class as EC before so I had to do some research.

Earl collected a bit more individual hardware in an 8 year career. He won the Heisman Trophy in '77 and became the #1 overall selection in the '78 NFL Draft after which he was named NFL Offensive ROY, 5X Pro Bowl, 3X All Pro, 3X NFL Offensive POY, 3X NFL Rushing Champ and '79 NFL MVP.

OJ was drafted #8 overall the year after Campbell but played 13 seasons and had 2 SB rings and a SB MVP to his credit. He was named NFL Offensive ROY, 2X Pro Bowl, 2 X All Pro and NFL Comeback POY in his 10th season!

Both rushed for 1,000 yards in 5 of their first 6 seasons, falling short in the strike-shortened '82 season. Career stats were very similar.

OJ was an outstanding pro for a long time for a RB and Earl was awesome to watch in his prime but his production really fell off after his 6th year due to his running style and the beating his body took.

Having seen both play I still don't know if I'd put OJ in Earl's class at least in their primes but right now I'd take either in a heartbeat. :cheese:
OJ ate and stank himself out of shape and lost his elusiveness but changed his running style to more N/S and as you said won a SB MVP running that way.

Look at OJ's stats vs Earls in their rookie years, Campbell had a far better team and coaching IMO IF Anderson had trained like today's players do he'd be known as one of the five best ever