Playing Devil's Advocate Concerning Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I look at it like this, if they can trade Bradford (and his contract) to a team like the Browns or Raiders for their first round pick, then draft Johnny and Evans then I would be okay with it.

I don't think Johnny will be as good as he was in college without someone to throw a jump ball to. Now, if you get both, you have Evans paired up with Britt, or Quick (if he comes around).

I would have been against this a month ago, I'm so over the draft that I don't care anymore lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol. Just disseminating all available information. I've already said my piece about Bridgewater at 13.
I have all the faith in the world in Bradford as a QB. I just lost my faith in his ability to stay on the field.
And that's compounded by the complete ineptitude of those they trot in to replace him.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
And staying within the advocate's role here...

What you're saying is, other teams are looking at the Rams' interest in Manziel and saying, "Well hell... if St Louis likes that guy so much, we HAVE to get him. Because their scouts are obviously superior to ours." And does their ruse include going to Texas to speak with his coaches? That's a heavy dose of deception right there.

And as it was pointed out on PFT..... ( http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...king-workouts-but-which-ones-are-they-hiding/ ) It's not about what they are saying or doing....... It's about what they aren't doing or saying. And yes, if I wanted a bigger bounty @ 2 or 13, I would be willing to "blow a day or 2 in Texas" to "make my case." And it's not to convince other teams to "want him" it's to convince the teams who do, they'd better pony up their bids.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And as it was pointed out on PFT..... ( http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...king-workouts-but-which-ones-are-they-hiding/ ) It's not about what they are saying or doing....... It's about what they aren't doing or saying. And yes, if I wanted a bigger bounty @ 2 or 13, I would be willing to "blow a day or 2 in Texas" to "make my case." And it's not to convince other teams to "want him" it's to convince the teams who do, they'd better pony up their bids.....
But what if what they're not doing or saying speaks a lot about what they are doing and not saying. Conversely, what if what they're doing or saying doesn't say a lot about what they're saying or not doing? Hmmm? Ever think of THAT?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A part of me really wants the Rams to take JM,,, even at #2. I believe that he is going to have a great NFL career. I should also point out that I've never received any form of payment from an NFL team for my expert advice... I know this may surprise many of you.

I'm a Bradford Fan... but my confidence in him is much less today than it has been in the past.

A55VA6

Legend
A part of me really wants the Rams to take JM,,, even at #2. I believe that he is going to have a great NFL career. I should also point out that I've never received any form of payment from an NFL team for my expert advice... I know this may surprise many of you.

I'm a Bradford Fan... but my confidence in him is much less today than it has been in the past.
Exactly how I feel.

scifiman

All I know is they damn sure better be right, if Sam goes somewhere else and reaches his potential, then I'd hope the lot of them are sacked.
I really dont know what other team Bradford could go to to reach his potential. Unless that team has the great line and the great wr's and the great rb he will not reach his potential as that is what all the Bradford supporters are saying and have been saying about him on the rams. They all say he has not had a #1 wr or that his line is bad and on and on. At some point the qb has to make things happen and win despite all of that. Sam is not a playmaker.

So which teams need a qb that Sam would fit on be their franchise qb? Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Houston? Maybe Tampa or Houston but he is going to have the same issues as he has with the rams. Every qb gets sacked. Can he hold up? I just do not see him as the long term franchise qb. He is good but not great. He is not in the Rodgers or Brees or Brady category by a long shot. He is not even in the same category as Wilson or Kaepernick. Those guys make stuff happen even when the play breaks down.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fisher also said Rodger Saffold was the Rams starting LT, and a really good one at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Then the Rams signed Jake Long.

I don't think this regime lies about things...I just think they state things as they stand that particular day...then change their minds and reassess as they go.

I agree with you, they address the media and manage it very much "in the moment".

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
But what if what they're not doing or saying speaks a lot about what they are doing and not saying. Conversely, what if what they're doing or saying doesn't say a lot about what they're saying or not doing? Hmmm? Ever think of THAT?

And that within lies the rub..........;):D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I look at it like this, if they can trade Bradford (and his contract) to a team like the Browns or Raiders for their first round pick, then draft Johnny and Evans then I would be okay with it.

I don't think Johnny will be as good as he was in college without someone to throw a jump ball to. Now, if you get both, you have Evans paired up with Britt, or Quick (if he comes around).

I would have been against this a month ago, I'm so over the draft that I don't care anymore lol

If they got a high first rounder for Bradford it would be the deal of the decade IMO. I doubt if they could get much higher than a 3.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Yep, everything Fisher says seems to never hold true and ends up changing some kind of way.

I personally would love to draft Manziel. And I'm probably one of the only people on here that does. Teams will have to worry about Stacy, Austin, Manziel running around.. sounds like a tough task to defend honestly.
I really don't think it's a good idea for a QB to be running around in the NFL, especially in Manziel size

I really dont know what other team Bradford could go to to reach his potential. Unless that team has the great line and the great wr's and the great rb he will not reach his potential as that is what all the Bradford supporters are saying and have been saying about him on the rams. They all say he has not had a #1 wr or that his line is bad and on and on. At some point the qb has to make things happen and win despite all of that. Sam is not a playmaker.

So which teams need a qb that Sam would fit on be their franchise qb? Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Houston? Maybe Tampa or Houston but he is going to have the same issues as he has with the rams. Every qb gets sacked. Can he hold up? I just do not see him as the long term franchise qb. He is good but not great. He is not in the Rodgers or Brees or Brady category by a long shot. He is not even in the same category as Wilson or Kaepernick. Those guys make stuff happen even when the play breaks down.

I don't know, are there any teams which don't lead the league in drops and don't get their QB sacked 5+ times in back to back games? If so that one.

scifiman

I don't know, are there any teams which don't lead the league in drops and don't get their QB sacked 5+ times in back to back games? If so that one.
Could maybe some of those sacks be Bradfords fault (hanging onto the ball instead of getting rid of)? Also the Rams line gave up not as many sacks as you may think. Rams ranked 7th in giving up the fewest sacks with 36. That is averaging a little over 2 per game not the 5 per game you are saying. The line was not the problem. As for dropped passes last year the rams the rams were 3rd in the league (not good) but the Vikings were 30th (very good) and see what difference it made for the team record. Drops dont seem to be a good indicator of how a team finishes. New England was 2nd (not good) and made the playoffs.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Here's the thing, if thats what Les and Jeff really think then if they put Manziel on this team nothing changes. He throws to WR's who can't seperate and don't know how to catch and will have a OL that can't block and will get him injured. Different Qb same story

Could maybe some of those sacks be Bradfords fault (hanging onto the ball instead of getting rid of)? Also the Rams line gave up not as many sacks as you may think. Rams ranked 7th in giving up the fewest sacks with 36. That is averaging a little over 2 per game not the 5 per game you are saying. The line was not the problem. As for dropped passes last year the rams the rams were 3rd in the league (not good) but the Vikings were 30th (very good) and see what difference it made for the team record. Drops dont seem to be a good indicator of how a team finishes. New England was 2nd (not good) and made the playoffs.

No having watched them all again unless 2 seconds is too long then none of them are Sam's fault.

I never said 5 per game I said they gave up 5+ sacks in back to back games, without those games Sam had a 64% completion percentage and a 101.4 passer rating (good for top 5 in every season this millennium excluding 2013), it could be a coincidence that when he had no time to throw he sucked and when he did he was pretty damn good.

I never said that drops have an impact on wins, although if they come at the wrong time i.e. dropped TDs (Quick against Carolina) then they clearly do. But what they do have an impact on is a QB, if a team is dropping 8% of passes, the QB on that team is going to look worse than a QB on a team which drops 3% of passes.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I have no doubt that Bradford has the physical tools in the terms of mechanics and throwing skills to be a good quarterback in the league. However, not many people have mentioned something he may be missing....

I have no idea, I am just speculating, but what if Fisher was drawn to this team by what he saw on tape of Bradford. But now that he is here, he is somewhat questioning Bradfords desire, leadership skills and durability. After meeting a few times with Manziel, Fisher and Snead see a burning desire to win, fierce drive to compete, an apparent love for the game and the ability to make his teammates that much better?

You really have to wonder that Fisher may be questioning what Sam brings to the table in that department once KC was brought in and this team started to compete. Ill be it the offense was really changed and the whole scheme was different, but in that process they realized that instead of bringing in all these draft picks to make the talent "around Sam better", they decided a quicker path to being competitive in this division was to change their thought process?

Fisher and Snead need to have a good year. It is year 3 and their original long-term plan is coming near.

I really think they have a goal of continuing to bulk up the D, have a solid, but not great O, and build a team of bad ass dudes that love to compete and win. That is pretty much Fisher's MO. Does paying Sam a ton of money fit into this equation for the long-term?

I really question what Sam's future holds with this team. Financially it will be a crazy time when he is due for another contract. Any qb drafted will be making as much over the next 4 years as Sam will make in the next 2. This does not include any kind of extension. All of that money could be used to fill many holes.

Just throwing this out there as I personally knowr nothing about Sam's characteristics outside of his physical skills, I could be completely wrong and he may have more desire, leadership ability, and love for the game than anyone in the league, but you really have to wonder???