Players and coaches that could use a fresh start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-sean-payton-head-guys-who-need-a-fresh-start

Here's our annual list of the players and coaches who really could use a change of scenery in 2016:

1) Robert Griffin III

Remember him?

To his credit, RGIII hasn't been a distraction while Kirk Cousins has provided the likeability, stability, availability and overall ability Griffin couldn't over the last few years. It was over for RGIII the minute Jay Gruden rightly benched him this summer. Gruden and Scot McCloughan won the battle with ownership. Dan Snyder (finally) listened to his football people -- and the Redskins won a division title as a result. Now, Cousins needs to get paid on a long-term deal in Washington.

Meanwhile, Griffin needs to go somewhere else to rebuild his confidence, whether it is a situation to compete for a job (Philly?) or learn from a coach who isn't afraid to develop big-name backups (K.C.?) or be the name and No. 2 that a high-profile team craves (Dallas?).

2) Asshole Face

Payton won a Super Bowl and helped reinvigorate a city after Hurricane Katrina. That cannot be diminished. But it's time for a change. The run is over. The Saints are trending in the wrong direction and will finish under .500. Again.

There's talk of Payton ending up with the Giants, but I'm not sure if that's a fit. Trade him to either the Dolphins or Chargers. And don't hold them up for compensation. Make it quick, so you can move on, too.

Payton was a dominant and important figure in Saints history. And even with Bountygate, fans should stress the positive of what he accomplished -- making the Saints a consistent winner and an offensive juggernaut and, quite frankly, a must-see show. But change benefits everyone.

3) Jason Pierre-Paul

Yes, Pierre-Paul made this list last year, too. I would've let the defensive end walk last March. General manager Jerry Reese, who's been sub-par when it comes to making free agency and draft decisions over the last four years, applied the franchise tag to him. And then JPP played with fireworks on the Fourth of July. The reckless behavior cost Pierre-Paul part of his hand and a portion of the 2015 season.

Now, playing with a club on his right hand, Pierre-Paul's not the same player, having logged just one sack in seven games. And JPP's purported domination was a myth in the prior three seasons anyway -- he racked up meaningless sacks when the 2014 Giants were long out of it. Honestly, I can't remember this guy making a big play since Big Blue's last Super Bowl triumph.

The Giants need to cut bait with Pierre-Paul. And maybe a new start elsewhere will kick-start JPP's motor again.

4) Matt Forte

I'm a huge Forte fan, but with rookie back Jeremy Langford proving to be capable as a runner, receiver and blocker, it's time for the eighth-year veteran to take his services somewhere else.

Forte has been a really good (and criminally underrated) player for a while. But now, not only is Forte's replacement in-house, but Forte's going to be a free agent, and he's getting up there in age (30). Strong run in Chicago, but the new brass doesn't have a deep history with him. And wouldn't it be great to see Forte catch on with a true contender?

5) Mario Williams

It's well-documented that I loathed the Rex Ryan hiring in Buffalo. I thought he'd have a negative impact on the Bills. Seeing how this season has played out, would you say I was wrong? Buffalo has plummeted from No. 4 in total defense last season to No. 20 in 2015, from No. 1 in sacks to No. 31. Dropping Williams back in coverage was foolish. He logged a career-high 14.5 sacks in 2014. This year? Four.

On Wednesday, the Bills announced that Rex is coming back in 2016. Thus, Williams needs to go. The pair will never get on the same page. And Williams hasn't been professional about keeping his gripes in house. A change would benefit everyone, especially if Williams won't take a pay cut.

(UPDATE: On Thursday afternoon, The Associated Press reported that Buffalo plans to cut Mario Williams in the offseason.)

6) Colin Kaepernick

What a fall from grace, from Super Bowl quarterback in Year 2 to getting benched for Blaine Gabbertin Year 5. Even as I type that, I shake my head.

Kaepernick needs to get out of San Francisco and get a fresh start. He needs to get back his name and game. He also needs to act like more of a professional and a leader. This guy has rare physical tools, no doubt, but he still needs to learn how to properly deploy them.

7) D.J. Hayden

When you're a former top-15 pick who gets benched in Year 3 for a dude plucked off waivers, that's a problem.

When your defensive coordinator calls you out for your play and practice habits, that's a problem. When you consistently get burned for big gains, that's the biggest problem.

The Raiders' defensive backfield needs an overhaul for Oakland to take the next step. Hayden is a good place to start. And the physically gifted CB needs a wake-up call to set his career back on the right track.

8) Chuck Pagano

Pagano appears to be done in Indy. The writing's on the wall. A flawed roster, an injured star quarterback and a reportedly bad relationship with the general manager doomed him. (The fake-punt disaster against the Patriots wasn't his finest moment, either.)

Still, Pagano's a good man and a good leader of men. He should continue to be a coach -- as a defensive coordinator or head man -- in the NFL. Just not in Indy.

9) Eric Weddle

What the Chargers just did -- fining Weddle for watching his daughter perform at halftime -- was wrong. And flat-out sad.

Weddle has been a great player and a great guy in San Diego for a long time. He's a free agent at the end of the year. And seeing how San Diego placed Weddle on injured reserve Monday, you'll never see him wear a Chargers uniform again

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm a fan of Chuck Pagano the man, but not the Head Coach. During his tenure the Colt defense which is supposed to be his specialty did not improve and I concur with the Colts in going in another direction.

Pagano great man and has the vowel at the end of his last name so that is always a plus in my book, however, I wonder if he'll get a Head Coaching gig in 2016, if he does, I could see it being in New Orleans because of their defense, but I just don't think Pagano will be the guy as a Head Coach that can fix a defense given his history in Indianapolis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The story of JPP is a made for tv movie.....
And I have the Title:
BigBangTheoryTitleCard.png

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Come on down! Greg Williams has a home for you!

He does? So who are you benching? McLeod? McDonald? Barron? I'd prefer we just keep McLeod. And I'm a big Weddle fan. Just don't think we have the room for him.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
He does? So who are you benching? McLeod? McDonald? Barron? I'd prefer we just keep McLeod. And I'm a big Weddle fan. Just don't think we have the room for him.

People also undervalue the tone the McBrothers set for the entire defense. Those two hit like MAC Trucks and make plays.

McLeod is a sure tackler and plays the "angel in the outfield" position perfectly for the defense (see caused Fitzgerald fumble and his game against the Vikings this year).
All while probably coming cheaper than most other FA safeties.

All Gas No Brakes baby!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That's if we can resign all of our own guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wiiliams would help us. Not a fit with Rex, dude is gonna bounce back and would look good under Williams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's well-documented that I loathed the Rex Ryan hiring in Buffalo. I thought he'd have a negative impact on the Bills. Seeing how this season has played out, would you say I was wrong? Buffalo has plummeted from No. 4 in total defense last season to No. 20 in 2015, from No. 1 in sacks to No. 31. Dropping Williams back in coverage was foolish. He logged a career-high 14.5 sacks in 2014. This year? Four.
I find this amazing. I didn't realize he had screwed that great D up so bad!!
What the Chargers just did -- fining Weddle for watching his daughter perform at halftime -- was wrong. And flat-out sad.
This ^ was one of the Stupidest things I ever hear!! If I were Weddle I would have asked to be Traded after they Fined me!!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Screw that, if we're going for anybody Luck sure seems like he needs out of Indianapolis.

Colts fans would revolt if that happened. But if he were available, I'd give an entire draft for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like RGIII might be redeemable if he got his head out of his ass. But he'll need some time with a good coach to work on his game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel like RGIII might be redeemable if he got his head out of his ass. But he'll need some time with a good coach to work on his game.

That is probably why it wouldn't work for the Rams. Fisher is not known for developing quarterbacks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
9) Eric Weddle

Weddle has been a great player and a great guy in San Diego for a long time. He's a free agent at the end of the year. And seeing how San Diego placed Weddle on injured reserve Monday, you'll never see him wear a Chargers uniform again

It was awful of them to do that, and it was $10,000 on top of it. Bad press for sure.

@jrry32 I don't think Griffin will get his head out of his ass until nobody wants him and he tries to remake his image. I think it'll take that kind of comeuppance to humble that ass, and by then it'll probably be to late.

Ram65

Legend
Wiiliams would help us. Not a fit with Rex, dude is gonna bounce back and would look good under Williams.

Rams may need all the help in the secondary. A healthy Quinn with Donald and Mario would be a monstrous D Line for opposing offenses.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Josh Gordon, Matt Stafford, maybe...maybe....thinking of a center...maybe....naw...lets just go get some rookies.