Player visits list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Found this on Walter Football its up to date. List all the known players the rams have talked to or had brought in for visits at the combine, senior bowl, private workouts, and official 30 visits they get.

• Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (SR)
  • Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma (EW)
  • Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas (EW)
  • Bryce Callahan, CB, Rice (EW)
  • T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (PRI)
  • La'el Collins, OT, LSU (COM)
  • Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama (PRI)
  • Paul Dawson, OLB/ILB, TCU (PRO)
  • Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (PRI)
  • Garrett Grayson^, QB, Colorado State (COM, WOR)
  • Geneo Grissom, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Oklahoma (SR)
  • Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (SR)
  • Jordan Hicks, OLB, Texas (SR)
  • Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA (COM)
  • Mitch Morse, OT/G, Missouri (COM)
  • Bryce Petty^, QB, Baylor (COM, PRI)
  • Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State (SR)
  • Aaron Ripkowski, FB, Oklahoma (EW)
  • Brandon Scherff, OT/G, Iowa (COM)
  • Austin Shepherd, OT, Alabama (SR)
  • Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky (EW)
  • Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma (PRO)
  • Clive Walford, TE, Miami (SR)
  • Daryl Williams, OT, Oklahoma (PRO)
  • Xavier Williams, DT, Northern Iowa (EW)
  • Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State (COM)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Looks to be more interest in the second-third tier QBs in Petty and Grayson. Looks like we might target one in the second.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Looks to be more interest in the second-third tier QBs in Petty and Grayson. Looks like we might target one in the second.
Or third, and ILB is on our list, probably.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seriously though.

I keep wondering about this guy. Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State (SR). Nobody talks about him. What round is he projected as and could he possibly replace McLeod.

I know JT says the Rams are very happy with McLeod but I still can't understand it. From what I have seen/read this guy has better range and ball skills. I wonder how serious their interest is.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seriously though.

I keep wondering about this guy. Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State (SR). Nobody talks about him. What round is he projected as and could he possibly replace McLeod.

I know JT says the Rams are very happy with McLeod but I still can't understand it. From what I have seen/read this guy has better range and ball skills. I wonder how serious their interest is.

I just can't Imagine them tendering McCloud at a 2nd round level if they didn't really like the kid.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
For reference here's last year's list from Walt: http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php

St. Louis Rams:
Maurice Alexander, DB, Utah State (LOC)
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (PRI)
Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada (PRI)
Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin (SR)
Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida (COM)
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson (PRO)
Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson (PRO)
Deone Bucannon, DB, Washington State (PRI)
Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State (EW)
Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (PRI)
Glenn Carson, LB, Penn State (EW)
HaHa Clinton-Dix, DB, Alabama (COM)
Jadeveon Clowney, DL, South Carolina (PRI)
Darqueze Dennard, DB, Michigan State (PRI)
Aaron Donald%, DL, Pittsburgh (PRI) (COM)
Kony Ealy, DL, Missouri (LOC)
Dominique Easley, DL, Florida (PRI)
Chris Elkins, OL, Youngstown State (EW)
Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (PRI)
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (PRI)
Kyle Fuller, DB, Virginia Tech (PRI)
E.J. Gaines, DB, Missouri (COM)
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice (EW)
Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU (PRO)
Justin Gilbert%, DB, Oklahoma State (PRI) (COM)
Kevin Graf, OL, Southern California (EW)
Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt (EW)
Marcus Heit, LS, Kansas State (SR)
Blake Jackson, TE, Oklahoma State (EW)
Reggie Jordan, TE, Missouri Western State (LOC)
Taylor Lewan, OL, Michigan (PRI)
Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo (VINT) (PRI)
Cassius Marsh, DL, UCLA (EW%)
Tre Mason, RB, Auburn (COM)
Jake Matthews%, OL, Texas A&M (PRI) (PRO) (COM)
A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama (PRI)
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia (PRI/PRO)
Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama (PRI)
Tyler Ott, LS, Harvard (SR)
Sean Parker, S, Washington (EW)
Calvin Pryor, DB, Louisville (COM)
Greg Robinson%, OL, Auburn (PRI) (COM)
Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh (PRI)
Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State (PRI)
Tyler Starr, LB, South Dakota (EW)
Will Sutton, DL, Arizona State (PRI)
Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson (SR)
Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (PRI)
Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State (PRI)
Jason Verrett%, DB, TCU (PRI) (COM)
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (PRI)
Trey Watts, RB, Tulsa (PRO)
Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State (PRI)

So 6/11 draftees were on the list. Post-draft signee T.Watts also on list.
Draftees not on the list were L.Joyner and last 4 picks: M.Van Dyk, C.Bryant, M.Sam, D.Rhaney.

2/7 in 2013: http://walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php

First 2 draftees had visits: T.Austin, A.Ogletree
Last 5 draftees did not: TJMcDonald, Bailey, B.Jones, B.McGee, Z.Stacy

POSITION DISTRIBUTION
2014 visit versus drafted:

DB visit 23% -- drafted 36%
WR visit 13% -- drafted 0%
OL visit 13% -- drafted 27%
LB visit 13% -- drafted 0%
QB visit 13% -- drafted 9%
DL visit 13% -- drafted 18%
TE visit 4% -- drafted 0%
RB visit 4% -- drafted 9%
LS(!) visit 4% -- drafted 0%

This year's visits distribution:
DB visit 11%
WR visit 7%
OL visit 30%
LB visit 19%
QB visit 15%
DL visit 4%
TE visit 7%
RB visit 7%

Thoughts for small sample size theater fun:

* Last year the Rams did not tip their hand by bringing in Joyner for a visit. In 2013 they did not visit with TJ McDonald. Perhaps again they have a player in mind in the round 2-3 range of whom they are not tipping their hand?

* As for gauging position interest, last year the Rams visited with tons of DBs and drafted tons of DBs. This year tons of OL are visiting, and given the state of the OL it seems a safe bet that the Rams will draft tons of OL.

* Other positions seeing healthy amount of visits like LB or QB, I'm not as sold since WRs and LBs visited last year in similar amounts and didn't get drafted.

* There's probably no meaningful conclusions to draw from any of this without a larger sample size, or just due to the inherent quality that every draft is unique?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
* There's probably no meaningful conclusions to draw from any of this without a larger sample size, or just due to the inherent quality that every draft is unique?

I think it shows what positions a team is interested in as a need, and it shows that a team wants to be comfortable with who they pick at their higher positions. Due diligence, if you will. As far as LB, or QB for instance, we looked at guys projected to go in several different rounds, and if the value met the need, we would have taken one, IMO. You don't know where a player will actually go, obviously, since it's not in your control, but you stack/build your board, but you also stack other teams' boards, and do mocks, and then you might want to look at players who may fall to you, who have a much higher grade than your need. Other types of players, such as DGB, you may look at him, because you don't know how far he will fall, or whether you decide to keep him on the board, at all.

We target certain players, there is no doubt about that. We've gotten some of them, and gotten burned by some too. We probably had two or three QB's we liked, but they didn't get to us, where we wanted to take them, and we didn't want to overdraft anybody. That is a solid concept, but doesn't always work. We loved Martin last year, but we liked Donald better. Our intention was to still try to get Martin, but he went higher than we expected, making him too expensive to go back up for. In other words, it's all a crap shoot anywho.

Good work trying to break this down.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Last year the Rams did not tip their hand by bringing in Joyner for a visit. In 2013 they did not visit with TJ McDonald. Perhaps again they have a player in mind in the round 2-3 range of whom they are not tipping their hand?
Interesting point. I think most teams likely have most of the same first rounders on their board. They probably know what one or two players are likely to be taken as each team gets closer to their picks as they no doubt know more about the other 31 teams than any of the Mel Kypers of the world.

As it gets into the 2nd and 3rd round talent, the pool no doubt broadens and they probably don't want to make anyone ahead of them aware of a player they have their eyes on for those premium picks - especially their second rounder. I have to guess that many teams boards look a lot different once you get out of the first round or maybe top five or so into the second.

The farther you go into the draft, the easier it is to move up ahead of another team to grab a particular player. Teams can sometimes trade a lower draft pick to move up just a few spots to grab your player. It would make sense that we haven't had a visit with our 2nd and/or maybe 3rd round pick(s).

thehammer

Rookie
Seriously though.

been touting him ever since I saw his name among national leaders in solo tackles...guess mid 2nd/3rd. Covers like a cb tackles like a safety
fun player to watch...

add all these players and more are highlighted on my top 300 list

thehammer

Rookie
top guy NOT on the list is DJ Humphries..the only olineman that Boudreau personally attended pro day

Athos

Legend
Last year the Rams did not tip their hand by bringing in Joyner for a visit. In 2013 they did not visit with TJ McDonald. Perhaps again they have a player in mind in the round 2-3 range of whom they are not tipping their hand?

Makes sense. You want to keep the guy you want to be around in the later rounds, under wraps because you like him so much, but not so much as to over slot him over another player.

Makes sense to take the big list of all the guys that have visited Rams park or being interviewed by them, as the pool of players we likely draft from.

Though of course, there are a couple guys you don't need to bring because the tape speaks for itself and you need to confirm about other guys more importantly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
been touting him ever since I saw his name among national leaders in solo tackles...guess mid 2nd/3rd. Covers like a cb tackles like a safety
fun player to watch...

add all these players and more are highlighted on my top 300 list

Well this also fits right in with Eric Rowe then also. Since many project him to safety and he shows up in Shragers draft to the Rams. I don't know how connected Shrager is but maybe he caught wind that the Rams are looking at free safeties? McLeod will be a Free agent after next season wont he? Maybe Greg Williams wants to find his successor that is more in the mold of his type of free safety.

thehammer

Rookie
rams trade up to select my #1 ranked qb Mariota nand draft bpa Eric Rowe in the 2nd? I'm all in...do think they would draft him to play cb..and only move him to fs if he failed