Place Kicker Thread: Rams sign Kai Forbath

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
He’s being challenged by a bad kicker who in a year with league wide kicking issues went 6 weeks without a job. This guy inspires less confidence than Sloman as he’s been just as bad but for longer. Sloman needs to pick it up and maybe this does it, but don’t expect Forbath to suddenly be good.

Oh yes, Kai is Kai, mediocre to above average, I agree. But having your job with no pressure and fighting for your job (even if it’s against average competition) are two different things. I’m in favor of any kind of competition right now. Sloman may be a head case at this point as well, could a step back make him a better kicker for next year without ruining him?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm fine with that, missing PATs occasionally is unacceptable for NFL standards.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Signed for "competition"

Cant wait to try and find a stud kicker in round 6 next year! Sloman will make a good HS special teams coach tho.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
That's actually pretty funny. Imagine all of the insights he could provide into the Bears kicking game!

But, I believe it's a six-day rule on poaching players. I've never seen it cut so close.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Sloman has been another source of unwanted stress and anxiety for my Sunday's. It's not personal but I'm glad to see the kid going.

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
I think it's pretty obvious that McVay and Snead read ROD, no other way to explain this.

Joking aside, I think this is it for Sloman. From what I read, we signed Forbath off of a practice squad so he needs to be added to our active roster. Expecting Sloman's release to follow if it hasn't already happened (just not reported to media).

"Sam? Yeah can you meet coach in his office? Bring your tablet with you."
Placekickers don't get tablets, silly!

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Signed for "competition"

Cant wait to try and find a stud kicker in round 6 next year! Sloman will make a good HS special teams coach tho.
Miami Hurricanes have that stud kicker who would be worth that 6th round pick IMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not particularly impressed with Forbath and I'm going off memory here admittedly. But if they think he can give them a solid, predictable range to strategize from on possessions I'm good with it. Right now I don't think McVay has a solid feel for what is high or acceptable risk for Sloman in terms of range and that's a problem IMO.

But H10 and MacGinnis must have really spooked the Rams somehow. Because I would think they go with one of the guys they saw in camp. H10 also brings punting ability, which is nice in the event Hekk tests positive at any point this season for covid.

Either way I'll say again that I'm no expert on kickers. But I am glad they're moving on this front and trying to sort shit BEFORE it fucks them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yes, Kai is Kai, mediocre to above average, I agree. But having your job with no pressure and fighting for your job (even if it’s against average competition) are two different things. I’m in favor of any kind of competition right now. Sloman may be a head case at this point as well, could a step back make him a better kicker for next year without ruining him?
My issue with this signing well there are two like we already said Kai isn't good. Secondly and most importantly unless Lewis and Polite are ready for a bigger role we took likely our best OLB in Obo put him on the IR and didn't replace him. That's not good. I don't think Kai moves any needle anywhere but we just lost our best OLB and didn't do anything about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh this should make everybody happy. Even though he’s below average on 50+ and he’s at 39% touch back rate in his career.
Stop being bitter. You white knighted for a guy who probably didn't deserve it.

It's a good thing they're looking around and trying to get ahead of this thing. Climb aboard and bring your little buddy with you. :ROFLMAO:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My issue with this signing well there are two like we already said Kai isn't good. Secondly and most importantly unless Lewis and Polite are ready for a bigger role we took likely our best OLB in Obo put him on the IR and didn't replace him. That's not good. I don't think Kai moves any needle anywhere but we just lost our best OLB and didn't do anything about it.
I suspect Kai is more of a kick in the ass for Sloman than anything else. He'll probably be cut by this weekend.

Re: OLB it's important to remember who these guys are lining up against. Pointed this out before but SF has a good LT. The teams on the near sched do too. It's gonna be some weeks before we see a guy who lets our weak ROLB roster feast.

I'm concerned with Lewis of course. I mean the rap on the dude was he can't stay healthy and his film was boom and bust. I'd sure be happy to see him come off IR and answer our probs but yeah I'm not gonna expect that.

Basically right now it's Polite as the hope until Obo returns. So it's ugly and if any of these guys can give us occasional pressure from that blindside I will be happy.

oldnotdead

Legend
In 2018 & 2019 Forbath appeared in 7 games, going 15 of 16 in his FG attempts with the single miss from over 50 yds. That's as good as you will find at this time of the year. The concern coming into this year was his age and leg strength. But he was solid under 50 yds the last 2 years. So McVay either pooch punts it or goes for it on 4th down if they are outside of 50 yds. That translates into getting the ball to at least around the 30 yard line. What IMO is the difference between Kai and the other two is Kai's consistent accuracy which IMO was the deciding factor.

Bonamego will have to coach up his ST KO unit to prepare for returns on KO's. If Forbath can get decent hang time on his KOs it should be okay. It would be interesting if Kai coming off the Bear's PS can beat them with a game-winner. Also interesting is that Cairo Santos is 1 of 2 from 40-49 yards, and 1 of 2 from 50+ and 8 for 8 under 40 yards.