Pivotal plays that changed the game.......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
While the Vikings had a couple, I would like to focus on a handful of plays that completely flipped the game away from us. Now, while the final score wasn't good......it showed an inability of our offense to give our defense a chance to get their wind....

#1. 3rd and 8 from the Minn 39 yd line (1st Q). Hill hit Quick w/ an out for 7 yards when we needed 8. It made us try a 50 yd FG and while Zuerline should not has missed.......a question screams out of why didn't everyone understand we needed 8 yards. Hill wasn't overly pressured and had time to throw a bit longer route. It stopped a decent drive w/ an execution error. I liked what Quick brought to the dance today, but there still are some errors that need to be fixed.

#2. First and 10 from the STL 48. Hill hits Quick on a crossing pattern and on the end of the play, Quick tries to stiff arm the defender and inadvertently gets his hand caught in the face mask. I understand what Quick was trying to do. And I don't think it was malicious. He wanted to control the defender and in the execution (and the different heights of the 2 players involved....) used his stiff arm higher than he should and the result caused him to get a couple of fingers caught in the facemask. And trying to free them gave further reaction from the defender, causing the ref to have to call the penalty. Once again...this is a mindset thing. If Quick just catches the ball and does not try to "impose his will" upon the defender, We are at the Minny 31 and now, Minnesota has to change their defense to keep our passing game under check. As it was we ended up w/ a first and 5 which we picked up on the ensuing play, but the drive stalled when we had a no call, (Ball was already in the air?!?!?) a OPI on Givens, a couple of incompletions and a "nothing" play where we picked up 3 yds on a 3rd and 20. It would have been interesting on the no call play if Quick had not been the aggressor (on the penalized play) earlier.

#3. 2nd and 16 from our 19 yard line. Hill forces a throw into double coverage when Britt was open underneath and it was only 2nd down. This was a back breaker. It gave the Vikings their first TD. and a was an easier throw to hit Britt and let him get what he could and then step out of bounds. Than to force it into Cook. I thought the best thing about Hill was he wouldn't force things into possible turnovers. One could say....that one was the scale tipper.

Those 3 plays,,,,,was the ball game. Yes the pick 6 sealed the deal. But a change in those 3 plays could have swung the game around to us. While I still believe we are better than last year. We just aren't good enough to overcome our own mistakes. And today against a hungry and well prepared team. It showed.

jjab360

Legend
The Patterson run blew it wide open and demoralized our entire team at a point where we were probably still feeling confident about our chances of coming back.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
While the Vikings had a couple, I would like to focus on a handful of plays that completely flipped the game away from us. Now, while the final score wasn't good......it showed an inability of our offense to give our defense a chance to get their wind....

#1. 3rd and 8 from the Minn 39 yd line (1st Q). Hill hit Quick w/ an out for 7 yards when we needed 8. It made us try a 50 yd FG and while Zuerline should not has missed.......a question screams out of why didn't everyone understand we needed 8 yards. Hill wasn't overly pressured and had time to throw a bit longer route. It stopped a decent drive w/ an execution error. I liked what Quick brought to the dance today, but there still are some errors that need to be fixed.

#2. First and 10 from the STL 48. Hill hits Quick on a crossing pattern and on the end of the play, Quick tries to stiff arm the defender and inadvertently gets his hand caught in the face mask. I understand what Quick was trying to do. And I don't think it was malicious. He wanted to control the defender and in the execution (and the different heights of the 2 players involved....) used his stiff arm higher than he should and the result caused him to get a couple of fingers caught in the facemask. And trying to free them gave further reaction from the defender, causing the ref to have to call the penalty. Once again...this is a mindset thing. If Quick just catches the ball and does not try to "impose his will" upon the defender, We are at the Minny 31 and now, Minnesota has to change their defense to keep our passing game under check. As it was we ended up w/ a first and 5 which we picked up on the ensuing play, but the drive stalled when we had a no call, (Ball was already in the air?!?!?) a OPI on Givens, a couple of incompletions and a "nothing" play where we picked up 3 yds on a 3rd and 20. It would have been interesting on the no call play if Quick had not been the aggressor (on the penalized play) earlier.

#3. 2nd and 16 from our 19 yard line. Hill forces a throw into double coverage when Britt was open underneath and it was only 2nd down. This was a back breaker. It gave the Vikings their first TD. and a was an easier throw to hit Britt and let him get what he could and then step out of bounds. Than to force it into Cook. I thought the best thing about Hill was he wouldn't force things into possible turnovers. One could say....that one was the scale tipper.

Those 3 plays,,,,,was the ball game. Yes the pick 6 sealed the deal. But a change in those 3 plays could have swung the game around to us. While I still believe we are better than last year. We just aren't good enough to overcome our own mistakes. And today against a hungry and well prepared team. It showed.

Yes, yes, yes, agree completely. These are some of the boneheaded mistakes I was talking about. Change these three plays and it's a completely different ballgame.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think going for it on 4th and less than a yard early on might have changed the momentum if they converted.
And I do think they would have converted.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think going for it on 4th and less than a yard early on might have changed the momentum if they converted.
And I do think they would have converted.
I thought for sure we were going for it.i was a bit surprised to see the o coming off the field.
Then to miss the FG left by a mere ft. Ouch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought for sure we were going for it.i was a bit surprised to see the o coming off the field.
Then to miss the FG left by a mere ft. Ouch.
Surprised me too, but I understand the thought process. 3 point game, and failing to convert would have yielded good field position. BUT. So did missing the field goal. I was just hoping to see aggression on O to match the aggression on D. Hopefully Fisher reevaluates that decision for future games.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Bomebadeeda your are absolutely correct. That exact sequence of plays is when my heart dropped into my stomach and I just got that feeling of "crap here we go again." We finally looked to have continuity on offense and we shot ourselves right in the groin, more than once on the same drive. Then the INT right before the half...it really was the blow that finished the team of today.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Surprised me too, but I understand the thought process. 3 point game, and failing to convert would have yielded good field position. BUT. So did missing the field goal. I was just hoping to see aggression on O to match the aggression on D. Hopefully Fisher reevaluates that decision for future games.
I was at the edge of my seat just in case it was a fake.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was at the edge of my seat just in case it was a fake.
The thought crossed my mind too, but I think even a QB sneak while "faking" like you're trying to draw them offsides would have worked.