Pistols

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets talk pistols. I am lucky enough to live in a state that has constitutional carry and I take full advantage of this fact. Why? Well the worlds a crazy place and I am beyond the age where I feel comfortable throwing hands with the young bucks. Let me say I come from a long line military family and was introduced to firearms and their purpose and safety from a very young age. So do you carry? If so why and what. What are your preferences? (calibers,etc.) Home defense vs carry? I am not a high brow firearms expert so if you don't own a glock or sig I could care less. To me its about what works and reliability.

Sidebar: This post is not meant to cause stress or offend anyone nor cause a debate about the second amendment. So if you have strong feelings against firearms please just pass on this one.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Great thread! I know lots of other guys who carry every day.
I'm not highbrow either lol. I just want to be ready in case I or someone else around me is in serious trouble. I currently have a Max 9, it's nice for CC but a bit heavy lol. It has trigger & standard safeties, 2 clips, and fiber front sight (I wish it had fiber rear sights too), and is ready for other optic sights, but that adds weight, etc. I have something else for home defense :) but that's another thread.
Yes I took a CC class, but that was a while ago (2006 or so), I'm thinking that with all the laws that have changed, I should take another one just as a refresher.
If I ever feel OK with doing open, I'd get a whole other pistol with optics, safe holster, etc., ideally a five seven.
(edit: for anyone who is considering carrying, open or CC, I strongly recommend a CC class -- there are serious considerations to carrying, such as when you can & cannot open fire, proper gun safety & security, etc.)

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice. I included home defense so feel free. Agree know the laws and rules where you live. Not much on open carry unless it a hunting scenario. Seems like just showing off. Education is key and practice.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have a Millennium Pro in 40 for CC and a Ruger KP95 (9mm) and Taurus 357 for home protection.

I rarely carry but do so when traveling by car or camping - especially with family.

I would also suggest training and then continuous practice. I load my own rounds, so practice is cheaper. But regardless, practice, practice, practice. The thing is though, if you're not practicing the right positions, angles, and moves, you're not really practicing. Get some training from a real pro first.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a Millennium Pro in 40 for CC and a Ruger KP95 (9mm) and Taurus 357 for home protection.

I rarely carry but do so when traveling by car or camping - especially with family.

I would also suggest training and then continuous practice. I load my own rounds, so practice is cheaper. But regardless, practice, practice, practice. The thing is though, if you're not practicing the right positions, angles, and moves, you're not really practicing. Get some training from a real pro first.
Very nice. Bought a G3 last year really like it. Have been carrying a sccy cpx-2 for a few months kinda snappy but I like it. Haven't had the problems some have had with it.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Home protection: 12 ga. bull pup w/ 5+1 clip
But, I really, really want a Ruger 5-7, just the ammo is so darned expensive...

oldnotdead

Legend
When I moved to Mexico I sold all my firearms to my friends. My friend who has since passed kept only one, a 9mm pistol, and my brother kept the one my dad gave me also a 9mm the Browning Highpower he carried in WWII. The other pistol is a Ruger EC9 a compact pistol. I don't carry it daily. Only when I'm in the backcountry, for mountain lions (yeah there are a lot of them in AZ, bears and two-legged critters).

The only time I carried was when I was a lot younger and I carried my Dan Wesson 357mag w/ 4" barrel when I backpacked. It was primarily to scare away critters, especially the two-legged variety telling them "don't fuck with me". One time I had a mountain lion following me in the Trinity Mountains, so I scared it away by putting a bullet in a tree near him. A ranger told me when I was a teenager and it's been true that if you didn't hurry, and made a reasonable amount of noise, then most normal critters including snakes never crossed your path. If bears hear you coming or snakes can sense your presence at almost 100 yds they will get out of your way.

But then there were the howlers, rock throwers and log knockers....but that is another story completely.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both my dad and I have been looking at those. Hard to beat the price. How's she shoot besides snappy?
No problems with the firearm. Because of the size there is some recoil. So it took some getting use to. Just off hand shooting was consistently low and to the left. Adjusting, practice, and concentrating the firearm is dead on. Which I have found to be true of most firearms. Example I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine. Bring up Hi Point in gun circles and people cringe But my experience is the dam thing is nearly indestructible and shoots great. You don't have to break the bank for self protection or just some old fashion fun.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No problems with the firearm. Because of the size there is some recoil. So it took some getting use to. Just off hand shooting was consistently low and to the left. Adjusting, practice, and concentrating the firearm is dead on. Which I have found to be true of most firearms. Example I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine. Bring up Hi Point in gun circles and people cringe But my experience is the dam thing is nearly indestructible and shoots great. You don't have to break the bank for self protection or just some old fashion fun.
Yeah... Just more reason for practice. None of my handguns shoot the same for either me or my wife. She's a deadly aim when she gets used to a firearm but handguns are real important. You really want to get familiar with them and find how they shoot for you. I tend to not even screw with adjusting sights unless they are really off for both of us.

As to the CC guns... They are all going to be a bit snappy due to their size.

I actually tend to carry my Ruger anyway because I'm so comfortable with it and I'm not really looking to hide it so much as have something available and ready to shoot. I can aquire it quickly and be ready to fire and that is IMO most important.

Interestingly too is that my Ruger KP95 isn't really bulky at all and has such a smooth exterior that there is virtually nothing to catch on. Nothing like most 1911s I've handled.

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have .32 Beretta Tomcat which is good for pocket carry, and a Sig 232 (when) I carry with a holster. Mainly on bikerides.
It's a bit big for CC, but I have large hands.. And it ain't THAT much bigger than a PPK.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have .32 Beretta Tomcat which is good for pocket carry, and a Sig 232 (when) I carry with a holster. Mainly on bikerides.
It's a bit big for CC, but I have large hands.. And it ain't THAT much bigger than a PPK.

back in the day i liked PPK .380, small but nice, then the Beretta 9 mil
train
I have a Beretta EL 950 BS. Not sure if it would stop a hamster on acid but I think its pretty cool. I also owned two 32HR mags but just didn't think they were enough so I sold them.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have a Beretta EL 950 BS. Not sure if it would stop a hamster on acid but I think its pretty cool. I also owned two 32HR mags but just didn't think they were enough so I sold them.
Yeah, but it would get their attention. :sunglasses:

I don't know why they would make a .22 and a .25, but hey...

I actually bought it for my wife cuz arthritis prevents her from racking an auto. But I love the little fucker.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but it would get their attention. :sunglasses:

I don't know why they would make a .22 and a .25, but hey...

I actually bought it for my wife cuz arthritis prevents her from racking an auto. But I love the little fucker.
Mine is a 22 short.

CeeZar

Rookie
Smith & Wesson makes the M&P Shield EZ which is designed for folks who have trouble racking slides. I don't have the EZ version but I do carry a Shield and it is an accurate little gun that is pretty easy to shoot well.