Pick value break points

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing we haven't really discussed are the break points in this draft. I have heard different numbers as usual, but the consensus seems to be the first big break point is 17 overall, that after that point there is an enormous glut of players in a similar grade range.

When I look at my list I like where the Rams are from that perspective for 2 reasons...

1. They can entice a team like Dallas to trade down much easier.

2. If they cannot move up and Lynch is gone they can better extract value in a move down.

This is something that can really affect difficulty of going up or down, since most teams will have a similar grouping overall.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read that Tennessee thinks there is a very big drop in talent after 10. Might be posturing but getting them to move to 15. Won't be as easy if that is what the think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I read that Tennessee thinks there is a very big drop in talent after 10. Might be posturing but getting them to move to 15. Won't be as easy if that is what the think.
:thinking:I tend to think this is just, as you said, "posturing". There always is at this time of year. Every team is calling around seeing how willing another team is to trade, up/down, given a certain scenario!;):LOL:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You look at who the most obvious teams are to trade up and make sure that your "acceptable" range is just shy of where they sit. Awww. Guess they'll have to pay a whole lot extra... *wink* what a coincidence! Or maybe it's too valuable to barter... "How dare you even suggest that I would trade away my virtue...er...#1 pick for ANY price!"

Puhleeze...

There's no question body parts will be involved to trade up. Why the pretense? At least the Rams didn't act all coquettish like some Southern belle. The only question will be will it be an arm, arm and a leg, arm, leg and kidney or what? And are the Rams willing to pay that?

But all the Scarlet O'Hara BS is just tiresome... I respect the Rams all the more for doing it like men and just making it a transaction. That time, the male way was a virtue and the only drama was who would pay how much by the deadline. Beyond that, no drama.

Now in handling CTEs, the male way? Yeah, not so much...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't see that talent drop personally at 10. With the LBs for example you have Jack going probably by the bottom end of the top ten, but you also have Lee and the dropoff isn't all that great as some teams, 4-3 teams for example, will have Lee and him relatively close I think. Lee should be gone by 15-17 range. A lot of positions are similar. With RB you have Elliot going by 15-17. DE you have Bosa, Buckner, Lawson all going by same range, it's unlikely all will be gone by 10. And so on, and counting them up it's roughly that range that you get the drop.

This is why I think the Rams are in a decent spot. If Dallas wants to drop down they get very good pick compensation to go to 15, plus can expect one of RB Elliot, or one of the DEs, or one of the CBs, etc to be there. If on the other hand a team wants to move up, 15 will be a good spot to get one of the aforementioned or maybe a couple other positions. It's not a catbird seat or anything, but it's a fortuitous position given the makeup of the round 1 talent and might factor in if the Rams try to move for the guy they want.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is why I think the Rams are in a decent spot. If Dallas wants to drop down they get very good pick compensation to go to 15, plus can expect one of RB Elliot, or one of the DEs, or one of the CBs, etc to be there.

I hope they trade all the way up to #1 and get the Qb they like the most..........probably Wentz. Get it over with. Bite the bullet, whatever. Just get that guy in place ASAP.

Ants

Starter

I believe I've read where the Eagles think the same thing - 10 guys before a drop.
Now, of course that doesn't necessarily mean that both teams are talking about the same players.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I hope they trade all the way up to #1 and get the Qb they like the most..........probably Wentz. Get it over with. Bite the bullet, whatever. Just get that guy in place ASAP.
Sonovabitch...You stole my line....:)
goodwillhuntingrobin.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Rams losing players in FA and not backfilling, it makes me think that a trade up is becoming more and more unlikely.
They only have 6 picks and to move inside top 5 you have to figure it will require at least 3 of this year's picks.
With all the holes they have, 3 picks won't help "rebuild thru the draft"