Pick 2 Free Agents to Sign

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand you prospective....the problem is it seems like the Rams have a bunch of 6th or 7th guys. The key to signing a FA O lineman to me is I don't want to go over the 30 year old age barrier. Of course, signing a younger guy does not insure health. Iupati is 27 but has nagging injuries that may signal more down time to come. A guy like Wiz is 25 and coming into his own.
It seems the options are older retreads like Joseph, no thanks....or guys like the guys we already have in Barnes, Person, Jones ect.
I don't know a ton about Boling.
The pickings are slim at C that is for sure.

I don't see Wisniewski happening. There are a lot of teams that need help at Center with more cap room than us. Including the Raiders.

The problem is that the Rams don't have a true 6th OL. They don't have a guy that can come in off the bench and give us solid play. Injuries on the OL are inevitable. We need a 6th OL that can provide steady play. Not a Davin Joseph. That is Boling. Solid starting OG. Can play RT too.

We should address our hole at OG in the Draft. Throwing money that position has gotten us nowhere. Get a talented young player and fix it for a good while.

Bring in Boling, grab a studly young player in the draft, and voila. Boling can start and provide solid play if the rookie isn't ready. If he is, we have a guy that can come off the bench and provide starter level play if one of our starters gets hurt.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure I would characterize SB and CL as "deadwood"... Maybe more true with SB as he has made no signs of being willing to move cap space (lately), but CL has restructured 3 times in the last 2 years so he probably can be counted on to create space if needed. In addition to JL and Wells you mentioned there's also $6million cap savings if they part ways with K.Langford or whatever space created if they extend him. So I think the Rams can make the cap space to hit some holes in free agency if they choose. It will be a strategic decision more than a cap decision.

Sorry about that, I was trying to stay on duckhunter's point dealing with trimming the deadwood....and the top two mega contracts are SB & CL. Rams played the most the 2014 season with both MIA. I should never identify Chris Long as resembling DEADWOOD....far from it he has been the face of the Ram defense since he arrived. That may be changing though with the arrival of Aaron Donald & Robert Quinn.

In addressing your comments on the loss of Kendall Langford who is the 3rd interior DL'er. Kendall's ability to play both the NT post of Brockers & then the 3 tech position of Donald is borderline remarkable for any DT. I might want to argue to say the reason AD & MB have such a great on field production is the hard work done by Kendall giving them both a breather! Do you know if any other DT that can do what Kendall does? Who would the Rams have that could replace Kendall? What damage would a loss of Kendall do to the interior of our defense?

duckhunter

Starter
I think this is excellent insight to look at Fisher's past, especially as the Rams transition from rebuilding to more established we can probably expect him to act more like in his past. But he is working with a new GM here now and we also have recent Rams history. To me the Jared Cook signing is pretty deafening of how the Rams might act. It's possible again if they see something they think is a missing piece they will jump on it and wayyy overspend to make sure they get it. Or maybe past free agent overspending was a "Bobby Wagner mad" lesson that won't be repeated, who knows?

The lines during the Fish years have been better than the previous really crappy lines. But we bought some time using expensive FAs and very quickly they are seen as questionable but never really added enough quality draftees. To an extent I view it as we were chasing sugarplums rather than meat and taters. Honestly, even when healthy we couldn't run against the good Ds. Objectively, we have only two starters as of now for next year. Saffold and GRob (the kid needs tons of work, though). The depth is questionable unless I'm missing some unknown value. When it gets this messy, at best you can afford one solid value through FA as a starter and a couple of young, quality turks from the draft. So then what do you got, question marks galore.

We'll still go into next year low on experience and talent. Heck, even journeyman are wanted. Any injuries and we have deja vue all over again with an high injury risk at QB. I said the backup plan at QB was weak last year and that wasn't rocket science. It was being objective. Snisher needs to work this problem like there is no tomorrow because there may be no tomorrow.

Who is not tired of hoping someone doesn't get hurt on this OLine because our depth is limited, raw or not talented? Forget the continuity excuse, because they don't have talent or stay healthy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Aside from our own FA's;
* OG - Orlando Franklin
* C - Will Mongomery

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
What damage would a loss of Kendall do to the interior of our defense?
Agreed, just noting Kendall's $7million cap number is probably going to change. Don't think anyone wants to see him cut, but an extension to lower the cap number and keep him around longer is likely.

Overthecap.com is just starting their great series on offseason cap reports and will write up the Rams in 10 days or so (going in draft order), that will help give an idea what sort of money is in play for Rams free agency.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Darius Butler CB and James Carpenter OG

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here's the list of available free agents in 2015. The Rams reportedly have/will have a good deal of cap space, so pick 2. Any 2, although I'd try to stay away from likely-to-be-retained (via franchise, etc.).

My choices:

Stefan Wiesniewski, C, Raiders
James Carpenter, G, Seahawks

Who do you take?

Wisniewski tops my list

Others I would like the Rams to sign if they don't have to break the bank are:

Jordan Cameron TE
TJ yates QB
Rich Ornberger C
Vladimir Ducasse G

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see Wisniewski happening. There are a lot of teams that need help at Center with more cap room than us. Including the Raiders.

The problem is that the Rams don't have a true 6th OL. They don't have a guy that can come in off the bench and give us solid play. Injuries on the OL are inevitable. We need a 6th OL that can provide steady play. Not a Davin Joseph. That is Boling. Solid starting OG. Can play RT too.

We should address our hole at OG in the Draft. Throwing money that position has gotten us nowhere. Get a talented young player and fix it for a good while.

Bring in Boling, grab a studly young player in the draft, and voila. Boling can start and provide solid play if the rookie isn't ready. If he is, we have a guy that can come off the bench and provide starter level play if one of our starters gets hurt.
I want Wisniewski, but, I agree it is a very long shot to happen. I am certainly not opposed to Boling, I just don't know much about him.
The thing is if Joseph is a starter for this team and can't be unseated by anyone else on the roster than means Boling would be starting I am sure....again, I am not saying that would not be an upgrade. I would like to see the team address it both in FA (including resigning some of our own guys) and in the draft. I agree with not wanting to dump a huge contract for an aging lineman in FA, but, I also don't want another line group stocked with cast offs that can't get it done.
Any other FAs grab your attention besides Boling?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Here's the list of available free agents in 2015. The Rams reportedly have/will have a good deal of cap space, so pick 2. Any 2, although I'd try to stay away from likely-to-be-retained (via franchise, etc.).

My choices:

Stefan Wiesniewski, C, Raiders
James Carpenter, G, Seahawks

Who do you take?
I really, really don't like Carpenter (unless as a 4th guard)....he is so bad in pass pro...though 2014 was his best year. Russell Wilson makes him a fit in seattle.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Free Agency
1. Wiesniewski, Center from Raiders
2. Best pass blocking guard, with decent run blocking skills:

Draft
And, we STILL draft a offensive tackle in the first round, even if we re-sign Barksdale. JB might have to come in to mop up for Greg Robinson.....
It's time for 3rd round OLB.
Tight End who can run and catch.

Crazy idea

Less intelligent, but I would like-idea: Trade 1st rounder for pro bowler guard, Kyle Long (Maybe Bears new staff is desparate to 'reload' defense)