Pick 2 Free Agents to Sign

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does anybody with PFF access want to post what C and G free agent rankings are out there by chance?:cautious::D
This may work out better for us.
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

My top two UFA's to get signed.....
WR Kenny Britt
OT Michael Roos

My top two RFA's to sign......
OC Tim Barnes
FS Rodney McLeod

My top ERFA to sign would be.....
H-Back/FB-Cory Harkey

Last edited:

duckhunter

Starter
Like last year, unless they trim some dead wood they won't participate much in FA. I'm afraid the Rams will be dumpster diving again this year.

If I could make one signing, it would be Wiz. He's above average which is better than anything we have. He'll be 5 years at least $25 to $30M but not nearly as expensive as teams will be throwing around for others. Would of been nice to see Barnes or Jones more down the stretch, but Fish stuck with Wells.

I can see Fish hanging onto Wells and J Long next year. Makes me wonder. I don't have much hope for Snisher straitening out the OLine.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Like last year, unless they trim some dead wood they won't participate much in FA. I'm afraid the Rams will be dumpster diving again this year.

If I could make one signing, it would be Wiz. He's above average which is better than anything we have. He'll be 5 years at least $25 to $30M but not nearly as expensive as teams will be throwing around for others. Would of been nice to see Barnes or Jones more down the stretch, but Fish stuck with Wells.

I can see Fish hanging onto Wells and J Long next year. Makes me wonder. I don't have much hope for Snisher straitening out the OLine.
I'd like Wisniewski also! Hope you're wrong on Wells and to some extent, Long!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Because he hasn't been good. Didn't play well with Chicago and struggled his final year in NO.

That's simply not true.

He was excellent a few seasons ago and was the Bears best lineman other than Kyle Long this season before he hurt his ankle.

He's a solid pro, not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, but he'd be a good stop gap especially if we can put him between Saffold and a LG that can pass block (not someone like Iupati). Give me Orlando Franklin at LG along side De La Puente and you can draft and develop a center or if they truly see something in Rhaney, maybe he can be the guy.

I don't see the Rams spending big on Hudson, and I think the Raiders have too much money to let Wisniewski leave. His family has been career Raiders. That may mean something.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's simply not true.

He was excellent a few seasons ago and was the Bears best lineman other than Kyle Long this season before he hurt his ankle.

He's a solid pro, not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, but he'd be a good stop gap especially if we can put him between Saffold and a LG that can pass block (not someone like Iupati).

I don't see the Rams spending big on Hudson, and I think the Raiders have too much money to let Wisniewski leave. His family has been career Raiders. That may mean something.

He wasn't starting for the Bears until Garza got hurt and then Garza took the starting job back immediately when he returned. Saints fans were not upset at all about losing him.

He's a mediocre player.

Give me Barrett Jones or Rhaney over him.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He wasn't starting for the Bears until Garza got hurt and then Garza took the starting job back immediately when he returned. Saints fans were not upset at all about losing him.

He's a mediocre player.

The Saints fans were happy to add ex-49er Jonathan Goodwin.

And mediocre is just fine, and quite an improvement over Wells, if the rest of your line is good (particularly the guards).

You have an overinflated view of yourself if you think you have any clue how Jones (who the team didn't trust enough to play at the end of the season) and Rhaney (who hasn't seen a regular season snap as an undrafted rookie from Bumfuck University) will do as a starting center. Nobody has a clue if they could even be mediocre.

I'd rather spend on Orlando Franklin than either Hudson or Wisniewski, and I don't want a big question mark at center. You know what you're getting with De La Puente, and mediocre would be perfectly fine in the middle of Robinson-Franklin and Saffold-Barksdale.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Not sure where the Ram Org. can do much trimming duckhunter. The biggest piece of deadwood around here is Sam Bradford. Sam cap hit will be 16.6 mil & if they released him there is 3.6 mil is dead $$. Then they have to go buy another QB & as we all know there is very little out there worth looking at & even less worth buying. I see no options on this piece of deadwood.

The next big chuck of deadwood is Chris Long who will cost us 12.5 million. Now that a big chunk! Rams proved that they can play outstanding defense without him due to having Hayes & Sims to fill the void completely. So you could might think a bit on that but there is a 5 mil chunk of dead $$ involved so that will not work.

Looks to me the easiest & most prudent trimming of deadwood should come from Jake Long & Scott Wells two bona fide non producers for the $$ used to buy their services. Jake Long will cost 10.5 mil in 2015. The problem here Fisher has only one OT under contract:eek:. Rams have no reserve Swing OT either :eek::eek:! So releasing the Rams starting OLT the last two seasons is a serious matter but the dead $$ is only 2.5 so there's a net of 8 million savings. Now the Rams have to go out & buy several more OT's that will burn up all that saving in a heartbeat.

Scott Wells is due near 5 mil with only a hit of dead $$ of 1 mil. that appear to be an easy call there due to the fact the Rams have the ability to fully cover the center post with very little cost to the cap here. Unlike the situation they have @ OT!o_O.

I have no issues with Wiz signing but it sure would signal that the Org.s efforts in this position was a total waste by Snead where he drafted two decent centers & the 3 yrs. of grooming of Tim Barnes by Boudreau all flushed down the toilet. I find that hard to accept such a flush of priceless high valued draft picks & the time invested in Barnes......they really have not even hardly kicked the tires yet on those three sport models yet let alone get them out on the highway and run them hard for a period of time. It ticks me off as the Org is forced to buy an overpriced future hurting cap hit @ center still leaving major HOLES elsewhere in the OL Wiz signing really fixes just one post. His signing would rob any Cap $$ for getting the other areas upgraded. The bigger overall OL issues are elsewhere . It would sure shine the light on this Ram Org. (Fisher/Snead/Boudreau here (sound evidence) of failure that they have made all wrapped up in this one position.:sick: If Wiz takes up the OC then you sure do not need those three centers collecting dust & cap money. Barnes & Rhaney are just about 100% center where Jones might be some % ORT in the NFL just have no ideal.
I can not see hanging onto a non productive center by Fisher but as we know by now Fisher sure does not really care. (n) Long could be worked in @ OLG or ORT but the cost to keep him is mighty expensive for a worn damaged declining OL'er....neither are smart and would be heavy in the real dumb column. I have seen very little evidence that Fisher can get this OL credible so I am cemented in the wondering column too.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

He's a mediocre player.

The biggest problem with De La Puente in my opinion is he is undersized. As is Garza actually, but, Garza tends to maintain better leverage.
Most Centers tend to be undersized and it is one of the tougher spots to find an excellent player. Most Centers become centers the way most bass players become bass players....they were the worst guitar player in their group of friends and switched to bass. A lot of Center used to play G or T and were not athletic enough for T or big enough for G.
I want to add Wiz but I think it is a long shot. Oakland has money to spend, Wiz is only 25 and C are hard to find. I just don't see him leaving. I don't see a lot of FA options out there. Between Barnes, Rhaney, Jones and Person there has to be a guy that is an upgrade over Wells current state of play. The big FA acquisition on the Oline to me this year (besides resignings) needs to happen at G. LG if possible allowing Saffold to move back to his preferred RG spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest problem with De La Puente in my opinion is he is undersized. As is Garza actually, but, Garza tends to maintain better leverage.
Most Centers tend to be undersized and it is one of the tougher spots to find an excellent player. Most Centers become centers the way most bass players become bass players....they were the worst guitar player in their group of friends and switched to bass. A lot of Center used to play G or T and were not athletic enough for T or big enough for G.
I want to add Wiz but I think it is a long shot. Oakland has money to spend, Wiz is only 25 and C are hard to find. I just don't see him leaving. I don't see a lot of FA options out there. Between Barnes, Rhaney, Jones and Person there has to be a guy that is an upgrade over Wells current state of play. The big FA acquisition on the Oline to me this year (besides resignings) needs to happen at G. LG if possible allowing Saffold to move back to his preferred RG spot.

I think we need to avoid a big FA signing this year. Sign a moderately priced OG/OT if there's a good option to provide us a 6th OL. I like Clint Boling in that role.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure where the Ram Org. can do much trimming duckhunter. The biggest piece of deadwood around here is Sam Bradford. Sam cap hit will be 16.6 mil & if they released him there is 3.6 mil is dead $$. Then they have to go buy another QB & as we all know there is very little out there worth looking at & even less worth buying. I see no options on this piece of deadwood.

The next big chuck of deadwood is Chris Long who will cost us 12.5 million. Now that a big chunk! Rams proved that they can play outstanding defense without him due to having Hayes & Sims to fill the void completely. So you could might think a bit on that but there is a 5 mil chunk of dead $$ involved so that will not work.

Looks to me the easiest & most prudent trimming of deadwood should come from Jake Long & Scott Wells two bona fide non producers for the $$ used to buy their services. Jake Long will cost 10.5 mil in 2015. The problem here Fisher has only one OT under contract:eek:. Rams have no reserve Swing OT either :eek::eek:! So releasing the Rams starting OLT the last two seasons is a serious matter but the dead $$ is only 2.5 so there's a net of 8 million savings. Now the Rams have to go out & buy several more OT's that will burn up all that saving in a heartbeat.

Scott Wells is due near 5 mil with only a hit of dead $$ of 1 mil. that appear to be an easy call there due to the fact the Rams have the ability to fully cover the center post with very little cost to the cap here. Unlike the situation they have @ OT!o_O.

I have no issues with Wiz signing but it sure would signal that the Org.s efforts in this position was a total waste by Snead where he drafted two decent centers & the 3 yrs. of grooming of Tim Barnes by Boudreau all flushed down the toilet. I find that hard to accept such a flush of priceless high valued draft picks & the time invested in Barnes......they really have not even hardly kicked the tires yet on those three sport models yet let alone get them out on the highway and run them hard for a period of time. It ticks me off as the Org is forced to buy an overpriced future hurting cap hit @ center still leaving major HOLES elsewhere in the OL Wiz signing really fixes just one post. His signing would rob any Cap $$ for getting the other areas upgraded. The bigger overall OL issues are elsewhere . It would sure shine the light on this Ram Org. (Fisher/Snead/Boudreau here (sound evidence) of failure that they have made all wrapped up in this one position.:sick: If Wiz takes up the OC then you sure do not need those three centers collecting dust & cap money. Barnes & Rhaney are just about 100% center where Jones might be some % ORT in the NFL just have no ideal.

I can not see hanging onto a non productive center by Fisher but as we know by now Fisher sure does not really care. (n) Long could be worked in @ OLG or ORT but the cost to keep him is mighty expensive for a worn damaged declining OL'er....neither are smart and would be heavy in the real dumb column. I have seen very little evidence that Fisher can get this OL credible so I am cemented in the wondering column too.
Well, by cutting Long and Wells the Rams free up about $12M ($11.7 is my understanding) in cap space. The cap is projected to go up $10-11M. With that amount of money the Rams should be able to resign some key guys. The cap going up is not such a big deal as it goes up for everyone (obviously) and drives up prices for players generally. However, resigning Barksdale and Person are key to me if Long is cut. It would probably behoove the Rams to try and get Barksdale done before FA starts. Even with up and down play this year he will probably command a decent salary in FA.
The real key is Bradford. If he is reasonable and redoes his deal he can free up another $6M that certainly would help. If not he has to be cut....and that creates another set of issues.
I can not find a reason to keep Long and Wells on the roster or Bradford at his current cap number.
It will be interesting to see how the team approaches it. The lack of playing time for some of the young guys on the interior of the line was baffling this year as well.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think we need to avoid a big FA signing this year. Sign a moderately priced OG/OT if there's a good option to provide us a 6th OL. I like Clint Boling in that role.
I understand you prospective....the problem is it seems like the Rams have a bunch of 6th or 7th guys. The key to signing a FA O lineman to me is I don't want to go over the 30 year old age barrier. Of course, signing a younger guy does not insure health. Iupati is 27 but has nagging injuries that may signal more down time to come. A guy like Wiz is 25 and coming into his own.
It seems the options are older retreads like Joseph, no thanks....or guys like the guys we already have in Barnes, Person, Jones ect.
I don't know a ton about Boling.
The pickings are slim at C that is for sure.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Saints fans were happy to add ex-49er Jonathan Goodwin.

And mediocre is just fine, and quite an improvement over Wells, if the rest of your line is good (particularly the guards).

You have an overinflated view of yourself if you think you have any clue how Jones (who the team didn't trust enough to play at the end of the season) and Rhaney (who hasn't seen a regular season snap as an undrafted rookie from Bumfuck University) will do as a starting center. Nobody has a clue if they could even be mediocre.

I'd rather spend on Orlando Franklin than either Hudson or Wisniewski, and I don't want a big question mark at center. You know what you're getting with De La Puente, and mediocre would be perfectly fine in the middle of Robinson-Franklin and Saffold-Barksdale.
Goodwin was more bringing home a former Saint from their Super Bowl era than signing an ex-49er. But your point about known mediocrity is well taken. Center is more about reliable consistency than anything. I totally am on board with seeing what they have in B.Jones or Rhaney (still annoying they didn't give Jones the playing time once the Rams were eliminated). But I don't see the problem with shooting higher with Hudson or Wiz. Getting burned with Wells was bad injury luck more than a bad strategy. Free agency dollars should go to those spots that need vet experience, like center or safety. And the Rams are bringing in more youngsters in the draft to develop here, too, so in theory the best of all worlds.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Goodwin was more bringing home a former Saint from their Super Bowl era than signing an ex-49er. But your point about known mediocrity is well taken. Center is more about reliable consistency than anything. I totally am on board with seeing what they have in B.Jones or Rhaney (still annoying they didn't give Jones the playing time once the Rams were eliminated). But I don't see the problem with shooting higher with Hudson or Wiz. Getting burned with Wells was bad injury luck more than a bad strategy. Free agency dollars should go to those spots that need vet experience, like center or safety. And the Rams are bringing in more youngsters in the draft to develop here, too, so in theory the best of all worlds.

I meant to say ex-Saint. Brain fart.

I totally agree about known mediocrity, especially if that allows us to pick up a stud player at another position on the line. I'd much rather have a player like Orlando Franklin that would also help with our tackle depth, than spending on a center

I'd completely understand if they brought in Hudson or Wisniewki, but I don't think they'd have nearly the impact on our line as Orlando Franklin would.

I like De La Puente because you're getting that known mediocrity that you speak of, freeing up money to get a better player to fill another hole on the line, and buying yourself time for another center to emerge that you've already invested in (Jones/Rhaney).

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Not sure where the Ram Org. can do much trimming duckhunter. The biggest piece of deadwood around here is Sam Bradford ... The next big chuck of deadwood is Chris Long who will cost us 12.5 million ... Looks to me the easiest & most prudent trimming of deadwood should come from Jake Long & Scott Wells...
Not sure I would characterize SB and CL as "deadwood"... Maybe more true with SB as he has made no signs of being willing to move cap space (lately), but CL has restructured 3 times in the last 2 years so he probably can be counted on to create space if needed. In addition to JL and Wells you mentioned there's also $6million cap savings if they part ways with K.Langford or whatever space created if they extend him. So I think the Rams can make the cap space to hit some holes in free agency if they choose. It will be a strategic decision more than a cap decision.

duckhunter

Starter
BR,

I'd jump and click my heels if they cut both. Or, I have no problems moving on from Bradford either. Allocate the resources to retain your best players: Quinn and others.

As I have watched Fish through the years including Titans, he's always up against the cap to an extent. He's not nearly as bad as Jerry Jones but I think he can do better. As the Rams move through FA he reluctantly hangs on to questionable value player's contract and releases them only when has no choice. He likes to rework contracts to gain a little dinero to make a move. He usually has little funds to make bold moves or lock down early his best up and comers. That might be OK if most of your moves are dead on but if you lose quality guys after their first contract, it becomes nonproductive. Then we're back to saying it's bad luck or just that dang cap system rather than admitting we've mismanaged our cap.

If I knew Barnes or Jones was the center, I'd get a solid guard or tackle in FA. Wiz is in his prime and coming on unlike Wells. I hate settling for guys (Joseph) who are fading, hoping they can put one good year or more together. Wells was questionable his last year at GB who moved on quickly while we thought we had something. Same with J Long. You might be able to get something out of Long at RT but do you want to let a healthy, young, adequate Barksdale walk for more risk.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but it doesn't hurt to inventory your actions to clean things up if possible and avoid future similar pitfalls. They bought leaky vessels and they can't rotate the cubbard. Unless they have some hidden value on the roster, it doesn't look real good.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
As I have watched Fish through the years including Titans, he's always up against the cap to an extent. He's not nearly as bad as Jerry Jones but I think he can do better. As the Rams move through FA he reluctantly hangs on to questionable value player's contract and releases them only when has no choice. He likes to rework contracts to gain a little dinero to make a move. He usually has little funds to make bold moves or lock down early his best up and comers. That might be OK if most of your moves are dead on but if you lose quality guys after their first contract, it becomes nonproductive. Then we're back to saying it's bad luck or just that dang cap system rather than admitting we've mismanaged our cap.
I think this is excellent insight to look at Fisher's past, especially as the Rams transition from rebuilding to more established we can probably expect him to act more like in his past. But he is working with a new GM here now and we also have recent Rams history. To me the Jared Cook signing is pretty deafening of how the Rams might act. It's possible again if they see something they think is a missing piece they will jump on it and wayyy overspend to make sure they get it. Or maybe past free agent overspending was a "Bobby Wagner mad" lesson that won't be repeated, who knows?

SaCkaveli20

Rookie
Name
Chris
Blank cheque for Revis.
= Best D in NFL.
lol but realistically a C & G. Kind of where everyone is going in here.