Phone Scam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There is a phone scam going around. They leave a message stating that there are 4 serious crimes posted against you and you need to call them back as the local police are coming to arrest you. Apparently it is more of an east coast thing but I am on the left coast.

I know most wouldn't fall for it but just a heads up in case you're old like @VegasRam :whistle::sneaky:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW - The phone number that called me was 607-595-3203 The message was left by a computerized female voice. And she didn't even sound hot. Bitch!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
BTW - The phone number that called me was 607-595-3203 The message was left by a computerized female voice. And she didn't even sound hot. Bitch!
...and what makes it effective is that it truly is PLAUSIBLE that you may have committed these infractions. :redcard:

:neener:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It absolutely blows me away that people fall for ridiculous scams like this. I mean, who would even be calling with this information, a mole inside the police department? What is there to fear if you aren't committing crimes (that goes to @Farr Be It 's point)? There isn't a single thing about the whole operation that makes sense, but they're still getting people. It's baffling.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Turns out it was true. @RamFan503 violated city ordnance of too much facial hair in combination with skinny jeans. Can we pool some money to get him out of jail? :eek:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
You’d be surprised how many people respond irrationally when they feel threatened.

Thankfully they were barking up the wrong tree with our man @RamFan503

I mean, this is Stu. You’re not dealing with a squirrel here.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

C'mon Stu, we know how you really feel about fembots.

225px-Hermaphrobot.png

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Turns out it was true. @RamFan503 violated city ordnance of too much facial hair in combination with skinny jeans. Can we pool some money to get him out of jail? :eek:

It wasn't that they were skinny jeans, it was because he had Bedazzled them.

The IRS scam was pretty successful and it's still around.

A robodialer tells you that you owe the IRS a certain amount of money, usually not a lot so the person can easily play it. The recording says that if you don't pay right away a warrant will be issued and you will be responsible for other costs like interest, penalties and court costs. Then you are prompted to enter a credit card number.

Idiots bust out the card and hand over the money. And guess what, they don't hit your account for the low amount of course.

Then, your card gets bundled with lots and lots of others and sold to someone else to charge.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
There is a phone scam going around. They leave a message stating that there are 4 serious crimes posted against you and you need to call them back as the local police are coming to arrest you. Apparently it is more of an east coast thing but I am on the left coast.

I know most wouldn't fall for it but just a heads up in case you're old like @VegasRam :whistle::sneaky:

Too late - turned myself in yesterday.
(Just got out on OR).

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah I have gotten the “you have 4 violations” voicemail at least once a week for probably a year now. You block the number and they just use a different one. It’s so fucking annoying. They are usually from New York according to caller ID. I get about 2 or 3 random other calls every day on my cell that I don’t answer. You know they are robocalls because they tend to use the same area code that your phone number was originally associated with. They are usually hijacked numbers too. So if you try and call the number back you’ll get some poor bastard who didn’t actually call you and knows nothing. The phone companies could do something about it but they don’t want to spend the money.

I think I might finally download one of those filtering apps.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
...and what makes it effective is that it truly is PLAUSIBLE that you may have committed these infractions. :redcard:

:neener:
Well certainly but... but... but... I dint do it. I SWEAR!

Apparently they tell people it has to do with IRS violations and any business owner or former business owner will tell you that is entirely plausible even if you paid all your taxes - which I of course did. :whistle:

Actually I did but the IRS finds ways to fuck up your account. I once had an IRS agent knock on my door when I was getting ready to open. I printed out all the shit he wanted and he just shook his head and muttered, “another wild goose chase”.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I never wear skinny jeans.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah I have gotten the “you have 4 violations” voicemail at least once a week for probably a year now. You block the number and they just use a different one. It’s so freaking annoying. They are usually from New York according to caller ID. I get about 2 or 3 random other calls every day on my cell that I don’t answer. You know they are robocalls because they tend to use the same area code that your phone number was originally associated with. They are usually hijacked numbers too. So if you try and call the number back you’ll get some poor bastard who didn’t actually call you and knows nothing. The phone companies could do something about it but they don’t want to spend the money.

I think I might finally download one of those filtering apps.
Yep. That’s the one. And I get constant calls from one that is like two digits off from my own. I’m on the do not call list too so that is pretty much worthless.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Oldman recognizance?

As far as I recall, yeah.
Glad I’m not 70 yet, or I wouldn’t have ANY recall.

12 days and counting.....

BTW - fun fact (that no one not born on July 2nd knows, and probably some that were),

July 2nd is the exact middle of the year - 182 days before and after (‘cept leap year).

BTW #2 - it’s way younger than you think. :yess: