Philly Game: Oline pass pro review.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I went back and reviewed each pass pro snap from the Philly game to see how our Oline held up.

Here is what I came away with. Mind you this is just pass pro and not run blocking.

I like to post these before PFF grades come out to see how they match up.

I consider a pressure as a defender in the face or flushing before Stafford can complete his drop and have a legit chance to make his first read and get the ball out with reasonable room. Usually this is right around 3 seconds or under. Almost every time in this Philly game the protection would break down in multiple spots very quickly after that setup and read. Stafford almost never had time in this game to sit back there for 5-7 minutes each play like Hurts did. Some games Stafford has, but this Eagles front is an Elite pass rush bunch and the ball had to come out right after the drop and read.

Carter, Graham, Reddick and Sweat can all generate a ton of pressure quickly. Compare that to our one pass rusher Donald.

MY OLINE GRADES
Jackson - B Minus - One pressure given up to sweat. Another time on a 5 man blitz Sweat was unblocked but looked like it wasn't Jackson's assignment. A few other questionable snaps.

Avila - B - One pressure on an inside move to Williams, totally missed the guy. Flushed Stafford to a Blitzer on the other side. Otherwise solid all game.

Shelton - C Minus - One bad Pressure given up to Graham. Another bad sack given up to Carter that almost got Stafford killed. These were critical plays and complete whiffs but otherwise he was solid so he avoids an D grade. Carter is a monster.

Dotson - B Minus - One big pressure given up where he totally missed picking up the stunting guy. A few other shaky snaps.

Havenstein - C - One pressure given up. One sack given up to Reddick. He should have received more help but didn't. Facing Reddick solo is not easy.

Mcclendon - F - Gave up a sack to Reddick when Havenstein came out. Kyren also missed the block.

Overall, the protection was good enough to win the game if was plays were made. The 4 man rush was getting home every time by the Eagles. Carter and Reddick disrupted the game creating a razor thin margin for error that we almost beat.

I will also say on replay of the game that Stafford missed about 5 or 6 key passes. The high throw to Puka early, the Kupp early overthrow. The back to back overthrows of Tutu and Kupp killing a critical drive. The others to Kupp where they were not on the same page. If these throws are made we probably win the game. Those probably get better once Kupp is in the fold another game. The Protection was good enough for these throws and the WR was wide open but Stafford didn't deliver. Tutu dropped one over the middle and the high throw to Puka early was catchable but thrown a little too hard in my opinion, though Stafford had plenty of time. Stafford also missed the dump off on a few blitzes, but he also hit a few tough throws under pressure. This is not to slam on Stafford. He was quick in his reads and making great decisions, he just missed a few throws that could have been the difference in an upset.

It also seemed to me that Mcvay should not have Dialed up some of the longer, lower percentage passes on third down. Maybe he was getting intel about how the Eagles were defending the routes? Either way the shorter completions seemed to be working and there was plenty of time left in the game to continue milking those easy completions.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The pass to Atwell would have went for 6 if Stafford could have hit him.The Rams had a lot of chances.
The Kyren Williams missing on the block(holding it) was poor.McClendon never had a chance.The DE lined up way wide & Stafford took a 7 step drop.
If Williams wasn’t there then McClendon just pushed the DE away from Stafford & Stafford has to step up & find away through for a passing lane.

Ellard80

Legend
I think Stafford was definitely inconsistent this game.... The high throw to puka though should have been caught, however.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought the OLinemen did a pretty good job considering the lack of a threat of a rushing attack to keep the Philly DLine honest.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I thought the OLinemen did a pretty good job considering the lack of a threat of a rushing attack to keep the Philly DLine honest.
This is a big part of it. We were so one dimensional which let them completely pin their ears back. And when you consider that Philly has one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL, then in the circumstances, I thought to o-line did pretty good. I give them a B. You're not going to keep the QB completely clean against teams like Philly most weeks. Sometimes you'll manage it if your o-line is really on. But most weeks, it just won't happen. And if you become predictable as only passing, look out.

I agree with those that say we need an upgrade at RB. But I also am left wondering, which is the biggest reason for our lack of running game threat: not having a dynamic RB, the o-line not being great at run blocking, or the run game not being something McVay excels at (or cares to commit enough time to?)? Not sure we'll ever get an answer from the outside looking in as fans. I do think all are a part of it. I'd probably rank Williams last on that list of problems despite wanting an upgrade. Other teams plug in UDFAs all the time and manage to run the ball well. I have seen enough from Williams to think he could do the same within a system that fosters it, even if he might lack the explosive runs.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They did not handle the increased pressure in the second half. Had trouble with it the week before too. I'd rate our line average at best when fully healthy. Worse when the inevitable injuries hit. I think they need to address the left tackle position next year. If there is a starting caliber vet in free agency who doesn't have injury history they should consider signing him. And maybe drafting one on day two. Unless there is a can't miss prospect in the first round.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This is a big part of it. We were so one dimensional which let them completely pin their ears back. And when you consider that Philly has one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL, then in the circumstances, I thought to o-line did pretty good. I give them a B. You're not going to keep the QB completely clean against teams like Philly most weeks. Sometimes you'll manage it if your o-line is really on. But most weeks, it just won't happen. And if you become predictable as only passing, look out.

I agree with those that say we need an upgrade at RB. But I also am left wondering, which is the biggest reason for our lack of running game threat: not having a dynamic RB, the o-line not being great at run blocking, or the run game not being something McVay excels at (or cares to commit enough time to?)? Not sure we'll ever get an answer from the outside looking in as fans. I do think all are a part of it. I'd probably rank Williams last on that list of problems despite wanting an upgrade. Other teams plug in UDFAs all the time and manage to run the ball well. I have seen enough from Williams to think he could do the same within a system that fosters it, even if he might lack the explosive runs.

Could be, the run game is not something that McVay excels at (or cares to commit enough time to), THUS the Oline is not great at run blocking, and the Rams don't have a dynamic RB.