Phillips sees benefits of having veterans Weddle, Matthews

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/phillips-sees-benefits-of-having-veterans-weddle-matthews

Phillips sees benefits of having veterans Weddle, Matthews

When Los Angeles signed safety Eric Weddle and linebacker Clay Matthews in March, the idea was to improve the club’s defense not only this year but not the future through the wisdom from experience both veterans could impart on the club’s younger players.

No, the Rams haven’t played a game yet and won’t take the field for a result that counts for another couple of months. But even from the offseason program, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has gotten a positive impression of what both Weddle and Matthews bring to the table — both on the field and in the meeting room.

“Matthews and Weddle both give us a veteran influence coming in, and are both still really athletic and can play their position well, but it gives you a lot of experience,” Phillips said during Los Angeles’ minicamp. “Weddle especially, I think in the secondary gives you a lot of things that you can do as far as changes and working against our offense, which gives you a lot of problems.”

Phillips praised Weddle for the safety’s high-level knowledge of what L.A. wants to get done defensively when it comes to concepts, citing one instance in particular. The 71-year-old defensive coordinator pointed out a play where the offense sent a receiver in motion. In Los Angeles’ scheme, the cornerback should’ve followed across the formation — but this time, it didn’t happen.

“So Weddle went over and took his place and then hollered at him to go and take his place,” Phillips said. “It’s those kinds of things that you don’t normally see, most players they just play their position, but he understood the concept and said, ‘Hey, he didn’t have to go, so I’ll go, but he needs to go back where I was.’ That’s what he adds, certainly.”

That’s the kind of veteran experience that can make a difference for key on-field situations.

And as for Matthews?

“Clay Matthews has looked really good. His athletic skills are superb and he moves so well. And I told him he’s really only halfway through his career — his dad played 19 years, so he’s got nine more left,” Phillips said with a laugh. “But he’s looked really good, too.”

Between the knowledge and experience of Weddle and Matthews, Los Angeles’ defense has a strong chance to improve on a play-to-play basis.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't express in words how much happier I am that weddle will be at the back instead of Joyner.

Hopefully his legs can capitalise on how quickly his brain processes a play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't express in words how much happier I am that weddle will be at the back instead of Joyner.

I have been a big Joyner fan, but... I 100% agree. I think Weedle stands to be a huge upgrade.

It was almost as if Joyner was sleep walking at times last year. Not sure what happened but he wasn’t the same player.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Weddle & Matthews are great additions, not only for their contribution on the field, but their knowledge as well that will aid young players like Taylor Rapp, John Johnson, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo as well as many others.

Wade feels better and the defense should be far better IMHO as the offense adjusts to throwing more to the tight ends and adding RB Darrell Henderson to the mix. No pressure, but I'm confident barring injury the Los Angeles Rams have a top 5 defense this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Weddle & Matthews are great additions, not only for their contribution on the field, but their knowledge as well that will aid young players like Taylor Rapp, John Johnson, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo as well as many others.

Wade feels better and the defense should be far better IMHO as the offense adjusts to throwing more to the tight ends and adding RB Darrell Henderson to the mix. No pressure, but I'm confident barring injury the Los Angeles Rams have a top 5 defense this year.
(y)

Here's how I see it den ....the new additions of first year new Ram players:

FPRMER DEPARTED vs NEW ADDITIONS FOR 2019
Saf Lamarcus Joyner < UFA FS Eric Weddle!
Saf Blake Countess < Saf. Nick Scott drafted Rookie
NT Westbrooks < NT Greg Gaines/ Sebastian Joseph-Day
WS LB Barron < WS LB Taylor Rapp 2nd rd rookie
WS LB Ramik Wilson < LB Dakota Allen/ Ketner Kupp
CB Sam Shields < CB David Long 3rd rd Rookie
OLB'ers Easley/ Longacre < UFA LB Clay Matthews/ Og Okonorkwo !

P.S. The decision to let starting NT Suh walk gave the Rams the opportunity to sign $$$ Dante Folwer..thus ....
NT Suh < ER Dante Fowler Jr !

Who did I forget?:thinking:

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think that's a great breakdown @BonifayRam . I'm cautiously giddy about our D... it seemed what it lacked last year was some veteran experience & time to work out together -- Suh joined late, AD didn't start until the beginning of the season... if everyone's on the same page, I'm thinking we'll get pretty close to Wade's D in Denver.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
(y)

Here's how I see it den ....the new additions of first year new Ram players:

FPRMER DEPARTED vs NEW ADDITIONS FOR 2019
Saf Lamarcus Joyner < UFA FS Eric Weddle!
Saf Blake Countess < Saf. Nick Scott drafted Rookie
NT Westbrooks < NT Greg Gaines/ Sebastian Joseph-Day
WS LB Barron < WS LB Taylor Rapp 2nd rd rookie
WS LB Ramik Wilson < LB Dakota Allen/ Ketner Kupp
CB Sam Shields < CB David Long 3rd rd Rookie
OLB'ers Easley/ Longacre < UFA LB Clay Matthews/ Og Okonorkwo !

P.S. The decision to let starting NT Suh walk gave the Rams the opportunity to sign $$$ Dante Folwer..thus ....
NT Suh < ER Dante Fowler Jr !

Who did I forget?:thinking:
You have 2 replacing Westbrooks, when one of them replaces Suh?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Wade Phillips impressed by Clay Matthews: 'His athletic skills are superb'
usatsi_12780792.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 20 hours ago

For 10 productive seasons, Clay Matthews suited up in green and yellow with the Packers. In 2019, he’ll trade in the green for royal blue as a member of the Rams, returning home to Southern California after playing his college ball at USC.

He was viewed as a good veteran addition by the Rams and someone who can help mentor younger defenders in L.A. Those are both true, but Matthews could have a significant impact on defense this season.

Inhabit;ord=7385415684760.734;dc_seg=756255014

Wade Phillips has been impressed by Matthews thus far and doesn’t seem to think he’s lost a step at all.

“Clay Matthews has looked really good. His athletic skills are superb and he moves so well. And I told him he’s really only halfway through his career — his dad played 19 years, so he’s got nine more left,” Phillips said, via the team’s official site. “But he’s looked really good, too.”

Matthews is 33 years old, is coming off a season in which he had a career-low 3.5 sacks and doesn’t have a set role with the Rams. He’ll play a mix of inside and outside linebacker, depending on the situation and the defense’s needs.

The Rams don’t need him to be a 10-sack player for them, but as long as he continues to play with high effort and rallies to the ball the way he has in the past, he’ll have an impact.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...m_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Always have been a fan of Weddle (seriously wish the Rams had drafted him), and Matthews is still a solid player who should help against the run.

Huge fan of those acquisitions. I just hope we sign Domata Peko.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have been a big Joyner fan, but... I 100% agree. I think Weedle stands to be a huge upgrade.

It was almost as if Joyner was sleep walking at times last year. Not sure what happened but he wasn’t the same player.
Exactly.